• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Advice on Buying Used NSX

I'm thinking of buying a used NSX and am choosing b/w 2: Both are 1991s. One has 68,000 miles and the dealer is asking 31K; the other has 49,000 miles and the private seller is asking 29,500. The only problem is that the cheaper one is 700 miles away. I'd appreciate any advice people can give me in terms of whether these are good deals, repairs I might have to look out for, if it's smart to buy one with 69,000 miles, etc. Thanks.

dpk1,

First off is it 49K or 69K miles?? either way this is not high mileage for an NSX. You need to understand about the snap ring issue and the window regulators, those are the two main shortcomings in this model year. Also you want to know if the car has had a 90K/6 year service (timing belt) and that the A/C is in good working order (read EXPENSIVE) as well as ANY body repairs.

I would not buy the car 700 miles away until it is COMPLETELY inspected mechanically and body wise.

All the info about the above items can be found here is the FAQ. Look at the "Troubleshooting" section in regard the the "snapring" and "window regulator" issue.

HTH,
LarryB

Don't be afraid to ask a member of this forum to take a look and the car that is 700 miles away, as long as its in their area. I had a guy look at one for me that was 1300 miles away, then had it mechnically inspected after he reported to me. Now the NSX is in my garage. Good Luck.

I bought my NSx sight unseen and it was 1,700 miles from where I live. I did pay a few dollars to have it inspected at Acura of Greenwich, but the money that I saved far exceeded the inspection and shipping costs.

Another thing to consider is that since both cars will probably need the same service to be done, why not go for the one with the lower mileage.

Good luck.

Excellent advice.

A few points to add here:

Originally posted by Larry Bastanza:
You need to understand about the snap ring issue and the window regulators, those are the two main shortcomings in this model year.

About 80 percent of the '91 models were NOT susceptible to the snap ring problem. They are identifiable by the transmission ID number, which can be seen using the instructions in the FAQ, but won't be handy for anyone not familiar with how to spot it. While it's not an absolutely 100 percent certain method of determining the snap ring susceptibility (since the transmission could have been replaced in the car's first couple of years), a 1991 NSX with a VIN (vehicle identification number) less than MT002500 is extremely unlikely to be in the snap ring range. And the seller almost always has the VIN handy.

For a car that IS in the snap ring range, the best advice on what to do can be found here.

The window regulator problem is preventable through the installation of the inexpensive ($15) Dali Racing window fix-it thingies.

Good luck.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 10 July 2002).]

I can share my own experiences looking at different NSXs, the folks on this forum have been absolutely fantastic.
Two seperate listers in the St. Louis areahave gone way out of their way to help me look at different aspects of the cars and enlighten me to possible problems.
I would say search out listers in the areas where the cars are and you'll probably be overwhelmed by their level of knowledge and attitude of helpfulness.
I'm still looking, but leaning towards one ('92, 42,xxx asking $32,500) I looked at tonight, now if my wife would only lean with me...

John C,

Hit the "Submit Reply" button only once. If you don't get a response right away, just wait. If you then hit it again and again, your reply will be posted three times...

Actually, only hit it once, don't know how the three posts got there...thanks for the tip

------------------
...And ever and anon the wolf would steal
The children and devour, but now and then,
Her own brood lost or dead, lent her fierce teat
To human sucklings; and the children, housed
In her foul den, there at their meat would growl,
And mock their foster-mother on four feet,
Till, straighten'd, they grew up to wolf-like men,
Worse than the wolves...
Lord Tennyson

Back