• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Aem Engine Manag. System

Not going to get much from AIS, so you don't need to spend too much money there, a uni filter will do fine. Exhaust is probably the only major bottle neck of NA2 cars. You will see a good amount of HP gain if you go with a lighter, more free flow system such as GT-One v.2 or ARC. Probably the only good bolt on mod worth of spending on you 2003.

:confused: Vance, DRBROOKSZ isn't asking about exhaust or intake. He's asking about the performance gains of AEM engine management.

FastraxTurbo added standalone engine management to his 3.0L w/ exhaust and intake and gained about 15 peak HP and 10 ft-lbs torque. See http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?p=575074#post575074 This was VPro rather than AEM, but it will come down to tuning anyway. Of course, his was 3.0 w/ cable throttle and yours is 3.2 w/ electronic throttle, but you can probably expect similar results, ceteris paribu.

:confused: Vance, DRBROOKSZ isn't asking about exhaust or intake. He's asking about the performance gains of AEM engine management.

FastraxTurbo added standalone engine management to his 3.0L w/ exhaust and intake and gained about 15 peak HP and 10 ft-lbs torque. See http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?p=575074#post575074 This was VPro rather than AEM, but it will come down to tuning anyway. Of course, his was 3.0 w/ cable throttle and yours is 3.2 w/ electronic throttle, but you can probably expect similar results, ceteris paribu.
Yeah I just noticed, I click on the wrong link and reply on the wrong thread.

AEM will not do much unless your doing stroker kit or FI. Don't waste money on it.

2002 1/2 and on NSX model in my opinion, has the best built/tuned factory stock motor of all NSXs. Just work on some good bolt on and you will extract the most from what the engine's output.

What Advantages Would This Devise Offer For A Stock 2003 With Ais/exhaust. Such As = Hp/torque/v-tec I GOT TO KNOW LANCE

As others have said, AEM is way overkill and completely unnecessary for your application. It's stand-alone engine management. It doesn't provide more power--it simply regulates the engine management when the performance is beyond the stock ECU's ability to regulate it due to forced induction or big-bore engines. The degree of tuning needed to deal with even a low-boost SC can be easily handled by the stock ECU. I have heard of AEMs running on low-boost applications but any good tuner can make the stock ECU work for those applications. I guess if one wants extra insurance or they don't trust their tuner :rolleyes: but it's really superfluous.

If your question is more in line with will an AEM provide better/more efficient tuning in general to create more power the answer is no--the NSX tuning is amazingly efficient from the factory. Many people have tried to improve the tuning with little or no results, even for an NSX with bolt-ons. That's why you don't read a lot about chips in the NSX community. They really don't help. Trust father Honda.

Unless you're running a hi-boost SC or a 3.5L stroker or above an AEM is totally worthless and unnecessary.

I don't recommend going with the AEM EMS unless you are planning on doing some major mods to it either higher compression or larger camshafts. If you are going FI then its a must.

We offer ecu programming service for the 91-94 nsx's and have seen gains from 5 to 7 hp and 7 to 8 lbs of torque. Thats from just an exhaust. We will be testing an NSX with Uni-filter Headers and Exhaust soon and we expect to see gains of around 10hp to 12 lbs of torque throughout the powerband. So there is a little hp to be found from fine tuning the fuel and ignition tables because the bolt-ons do affect the A/F Ratio. Must chips on the market for NSX's have been possibly tuned for 1 specific setup and thats it. Tuning is important whether its N/A or FI.

No... It's impossible to tune better than OEM Honda! It's not like every motor has slight variances in it's manufacturing and a universal tune (from the factory ecu) dosn't maximize each individual motor's differences. :rolleyes:

As others have said, AEM is way overkill and completely unnecessary for your application. It's stand-alone engine management. It doesn't provide more power--it simply regulates the engine management when the performance is beyond the stock ECU's ability to regulate it due to forced induction or big-bore engines. The degree of tuning needed to deal with even a low-boost SC can be easily handled by the stock ECU. I have heard of AEMs running on low-boost applications but any good tuner can make the stock ECU work for those applications.

If your question is more in line with will an AEM provide better/more efficient tuning in general to create more power the answer is no--the NSX tuning is amazingly efficient from the factory. Many people have tried to improve the tuning with little or no results, even for an NSX with bolt-ons.

Unless you're running a hi-boost SC or a 3.5L stroker or above an AEM is totally worthless and unnecessary.
I like having my stock ECU cut up and mangled with hundreds resistors and capacitors in little plastic boxes everywhere too!

15hp/10lb-torque is pretty worthless and totally unnecessary :biggrin:

No... It's impossible to tune better than OEM Honda! It's not like every motor has slight variances in it's manufacturing and a universal tune (from the factory ecu) dosn't maximize each individual motor's differences. :rolleyes:

I like having my stock ECU cut up and mangled with hundreds resistors and capacitors in little plastic boxes everywhere too!

15hp/10lb-torque is pretty worthless and totally unnecessary :biggrin:

Well, not everyone has access to a tuner of such ability and the money to blow on the labor for maximum of 15hp/10ft.lbs. You are correct that theoretically there's room for improvement on virtually every engine but if 15hp is the high end of the spectrum and it's not easy to achieve I would have to say generally to avoid it.

The OEM tuning is extraordinarily good considering it's a universal tune. Certainly purchasing an AEM for $2,000+ to produce a maximum of 15 hp is not worth it and spending hundreds having a tuner (if you can find one capable enough) chase down a maximum of 15hp is probably a bad idea for the average NSX owner looking for some additional power.

But technically, you are correct. :wink:

I came across this thread and found it to be interesting since I have the AEM Management System in my NSX. I am, by no means, an expert on this subject but thought I would post this 'as of interest.'

I have a 2005 NSX with the Comptech SC, headers, exhaust and cold air box. I had my NSX at AutoWave in Huntington Beach for some work and decided to have the AEM system installed. Installation of this system included, among other things, a high pressure (output) fuel pump, high flow 550cc injectors, 1:1 fuel pressure regulator and high boost upgrade kit for the SC.

Before the AEM installation, the dyno recorded 357 rwhp. After the AEM was installed and the car tuned, the dyno recorded 387 rwhp. I have the graphs in my file and as soon as I figure how to post them here, I will.

If there is anyone out there with a 2003-2005 NSX and the same mods and AEM system, please post or send a PM with your results.

And, by the way, with the AEM Management System installed on an NSX with electronic throttle the TCS does not function.:frown:

I came across this thread and found it to be interesting since I have the AEM Management System in my NSX. I am, by no means, an expert on this subject but thought I would post this 'as of interest.'

I have a 2005 NSX with the Comptech SC, headers, exhaust and cold air box. I had my NSX at AutoWave in Huntington Beach for some work and decided to have the AEM system installed. Installation of this system included, among other things, a high pressure (output) fuel pump, high flow 550cc injectors, 1:1 fuel pressure regulator and high boost upgrade kit for the SC.

Before the AEM installation, the dyno recorded 357 rwhp. After the AEM was installed and the car tuned, the dyno recorded 387 rwhp. I have the graphs in my file and as soon as I figure how to post them here, I will.

If there is anyone out there with a 2003-2005 NSX and the same mods and AEM system, please post or send a PM with your results.

And, by the way, with the AEM Management System installed on an NSX with electronic throttle the TCS does not function.:frown:

I have seen few cases last year at Autowave with 2002 plus NSX with CTSC, high boost and AEM (Apearantly, CT does not have a high boost kit for Autorotor; I guess Autowave applied the same application as the old CTSC system), they turn more than 400 rwp. Some NSX with piggy back put out around 390-ish. What time of the year did you have your car dyno'd?

There is a brand new AEM FIC for OBDII and everything, including TCS, works just fine. How do I know? I have one. :tongue: I was the alpha test car. After a bit of work on AEM's part, everything is perfect.

There is a brand new AEM FIC for OBDII and everything, including TCS, works just fine. How do I know? I have one. :tongue: I was the alpha test car. After a bit of work on AEM's part, everything is perfect.

Did you see any power gains or just a better air/fuel ratio? Or both:biggrin: ?

Amazing increase in power, MORE than 100 rwhp:eek: Just remembered, he has a lovefab turbo:biggrin:

As Jorligan pointed out, I needed the EMS because of my Lovefab turbo. The latest version of the FIC is a keeper. So, I can't say that the AEM FIC added any HP, but I think the turbo might have added a couple of ponies! :biggrin:

Did you see any power gains or just a better air/fuel ratio? Or both:biggrin: ?

I have seen few cases last year at Autowave with 2002 plus NSX with CTSC, high boost and AEM (Apearantly, CT does not have a high boost kit for Autorotor; I guess Autowave applied the same application as the old CTSC system), they turn more than 400 rwp. Some NSX with piggy back put out around 390-ish. What time of the year did you have your car dyno'd?

It was dyno'd on July 25, 2006.:wink:

Odd! I contacted AEM just a few months ago and asked about the TCS issue. I was told that because I have the electronic throttle that my TCS will not function. He further explained that the AEM system was intended for the NSX with the cable throttle. I asked if he was aware of any mods that AEM was working on to remedy this situation. He said he didn't know. :mad:

My AEM was installed in July of 2006. Do you know if my AEM can be modified/upgraded to the AEM that you have? I am really concerned about the TCS. Can you provide me with a contact person at AEM that I might discuss this issue.

Thanks.

Richard

Odd! I contacted AEM just a few months ago and asked about the TCS issue. I was told that because I have the electronic throttle that my TCS will not function. He further explained that the AEM system was intended for the NSX with the cable throttle. I asked if he was aware of any mods that AEM was working on to remedy this situation. He said he didn't know. :mad:

My AEM was installed in July of 2006. Do you know if my AEM can be modified/upgraded to the AEM that you have? I am really concerned about the TCS. Can you provide me with a contact person at AEM that I might discuss this issue.

Thanks.

Richard

Since the OBDII AEM FIC is still officially in beta, I hesitate to publicly name who I worked with at AEM. It sounds like they were being careful not to reveal anything about it. Perhaps I have revealed too much myself. I just wanted people to know something is coming down the pike. Perhaps they have some more testing to do on other cars before it is ready for prime time.:confused:

I have the AEM on my 1998 with OBD2. Autowave put it on many years ago. Has worked just fine for me. I don't know what hacks they did or what, but it works; 15K miles later. Yes, no TCS, but big deal.

You just gotta learn to manage the throttle through the turns and watch for oversteer..... I'm in Seattle, where it's wet. Just takes practice... Go to the track and/or get someone knowledgable and practice...

The only thing to fear is fear itself! And oh yeah, a blown NSX engine :eek: Insurance will cover if you wreck your car, but not if you blow your engine :eek:

I have the AEM on my 1998 with OBD2. Autowave put it on many years ago. Has worked just fine for me. I don't know what hacks they did or what, but it works; 15K miles later. Yes, no TCS, but big deal.

You just gotta learn to manage the throttle through the turns and watch for oversteer..... I'm in Seattle, where it's wet. Just takes practice... Go to the track and/or get someone knowledgable and practice...

The only thing to fear is fear itself! And oh yeah, a blown NSX engine :eek: Insurance will cover if you wreck your car, but not if you blow your engine :eek:

Are you FI?

yes a my profile says;) 375 rwhp high boost.
the trick is.. don't be at wot unless you are in an absolute straight line or a pro...

I didn't look at your profile, only your non-existent sig. :biggrin:

I don't think there's been a lot of debate about whether an AEM will help in any FI or big-bore setups. It most certainly will. I had only remarked that a low-boost operation doesn't necessarily need an AEM although the addition of one can create more efficient tuning and more power. A high-boost setup is definitely an AEM situation.

I think it's gotten a little off-topic in that the OPs question asked about the benefits AEM on a stock motor.

Back