• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

AEM FIC BHP increase on C30A

Chipping earlier C30A's we saw a bhp increase of XX??

However my ecu is a hybrid, it's not OBD2 but it's not a early version meaning i can't chip it.

Effectively a FIC is doing what a chip would do, alter fuel/air maps, is that correct?

Then surely installing an FIC i should see an bhp increase? If so what would the typical increase be? roughly?

Keeping in mind, i already have aftermarket induction kit and exhaust system including manifolds so installing an FIC will also mean it will be running slightly better with the current mods maximising the gains they typically make.

Before anyone says, waste of money by the time it's bought and mapped well... I already have the FIC and Wire Harness, it's only a case of mapping. So cost is kinda irrelevant, i do also have some nice new ID injectors to install to give the RDX affect.

My understanding is there almost no gain with a FIC with a NA engine. Which is why Prospeed's RDX injector mod doesn't work with NA2s. The reason being the FIC can only retard timing, not increase it. You have to go full AEM EMS to gain timing advancement. The FIC is not doing what a chip will do, it is a piggy back to your OEM ecu. It intercepts the signal and retards timing and adds fuel, it was made for forced induction.

FROM AEM's website:

OVERVIEW

The F/IC gives users with OBD-II (or older) race vehicles and non-factory forced induction systems the ability to retard ignition and deliver accurate amounts of fuel without the need for outdated FMUs or “boost hiding” controllers. This system works parallel to the factory ECU preventing tuning limitations due to complex factory timing patterns. 21x17 maps with configurable load and RPM breakpoints are easily accessed with the F/IC's Windows-based tuning software. The F/IC draws power from PC USB interface for quick and easy calibration changes.

Chipping earlier C30A's we saw a bhp increase of XX??

However my ecu is a hybrid, it's not OBD2 but it's not a early version meaning i can't chip it.

Effectively a FIC is doing what a chip would do, alter fuel/air maps, is that correct?

Then surely installing an FIC i should see an bhp increase? If so what would the typical increase be? roughly?

Keeping in mind, i already have aftermarket induction kit and exhaust system including manifolds so installing an FIC will also mean it will be running slightly better with the current mods maximising the gains they typically make.

Before anyone says, waste of money by the time it's bought and mapped well... I already have the FIC and Wire Harness, it's only a case of mapping. So cost is kinda irrelevant, i do also have some nice new ID injectors to install to give the RDX affect.

Last edited:
Jim is right- FIC will not yield the tuning advantages you need to make more power on your ECU. Full-blown AEM, Motec or HKS system on C30A will yield 20-40 more whp depending on supporting mods.

Well that totally blows...

Thanks for the information.

I totally miss understood what the FIC actually did, still not totally sure, it was actually purchased for it's intended purpose not on the basis for a few extra bhp from a simple map. Still sucks though ;).

I am following another thread, i have some ID injectors. They are planning on installing the FIC with RDX, i guess my results would be similar to theirs so i'm sitting back to see what gains they get from the RDX injectors to justify the expense of mapping the FIC.

Thanks for the info.

Back