• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Aftermarket Head Unit with OEM Spreakers?

Are there aftermarket head units that can be used with the OEM Speakers? As I understand it, the amps are in the speaker units, and therefore I assume they would need a line-level (un-amplified) signal.

Also, are there aftermarket head units that don't require modifying the OEM console?

I'm not looking for anything special, just good reception and no cassette deck. Perhaps an in-dash cd changer.

midlifecrisis said:
Are there aftermarket head units that can be used with the OEM Speakers? .
Yes; any head unit with pre-amp outputs can be wired to drive the OEM speakers. If you search this forum you can find how to make an adapter cable harness (more typically process is to go from OEM head to after-market amps, but process is essentially the same, just with the appropriate wiring changes. I have made both)

As I understand it, the amps are in the speaker units, and therefore I assume they would need a line-level (un-amplified) signal.
Yes, get a head unit with pre-amp outs (most do these days). If you have a head without pre-amps and only speaker outs, you can still use it but must add an attenuating device (see PacAudio or PIE or similar)

Also, are there aftermarket head units that don't require modifying the OEM console?
No - absolutely none, nada, zippo!

See my post in your other thread to check if you really have a problem with your OEM head unit or the amps.

I just have a quick and possible stupid question. How do you get the OEM speakers to work with an aftermarket head unit? You splice the audio wires with RCA connectors for the low level outout on the new unit. What do you do with the power wires for the Bose speakers? How do the amps continues to be activated by the head uhint. Thank You very much for any help you can give me.

Todd

I just have a quick and possible stupid question. How do you get the OEM speakers to work with an aftermarket head unit? You splice the audio wires with RCA connectors for the low level outout on the new unit. What do you do with the power wires for the Bose speakers? How do the amps continues to be activated by the head uhint. Thank You very much for any help you can give me.

Todd

Ok, for the car harness, you buy the 70-1720 Metra Honda harness (or equivalent). This is for Hondas to use an aftermarket stereo. With that harness, you take right front and right rear + and solder them together to the center pin of an RCA. Then you take the right front and right rear - and solder it to the jacket wires of an RCA. Do the same for the left front and left rear for another RCA. If you want to, you can separate the front and rear to make 2 sets of RCAs instead of just 1 and that will give you fading capabilities.

Now, with the RCAs all done, all you have to do to make sure the amps turn on is you wire the amplifier turn on output (usually blue or blue/white) and wire it to the power antenna lead on the 70-1720 harness. Do not wire the antenna lead on the head unit to the harness. The reason is, the NSX amps use the power antenna turn on for the amps. Hence your power antenna is always up when the radio is on. If you wire the antenna lead to the harness, you will not be able to place any other sources than the radio.

HTH

Back