• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Aftermarket Keyless Entry Install

Sorry in advance for the long-winded post, but here goes:

I bought a simple and inexpensive ($20 on ebay) aftermarket keyless entry system (KES) for my '91. It just seems wrong to have to use an old-fashion key to open such an advanced car. I chose this KES because the remotes are small and look plain OEM-like with 3 buttons (Lock, Unlock, Trunk Pop). In looking at the installation instructions, the system is very simple with +12V trigger wires for the lock, unlock, trunk and a parking light flash (in addition to the other wires for constant +12V, ground, common, etc.) It should be simple to wire up.

In playing around with the NSX factory security, I've observed the following: The OEM security system arms when you (1) use the key to lock the doors from the outside, or (2) with the drivers door open, you use the electric lock switch on the door panel while holding the door lever open. The system will NOT arm if you shut the door and reached in through an open window and pushed the door panel electric lock switch.

When the system is armed, if you unlock or open the doors or trunk using anything other than the key from the outside, the horn sounds, lights flash and you get the starter/ignition disable. For example, if you reached in through an open window and pushed the door panel unlock switch or the trunk pop switch, it would trigger the alarm the system to sound. If the system was not armed because you locked the doors by reaching in through an open window and pushing the door panel electric lock switch, then reaching back in and pushing the door panel unlock switch or the trunk pop switch, will not trigger the alarm the system to sound.

With these observations, I've determined that I can install the A/M KES and it will lock and unlock the doors and trunk as advertised. The only drawback is that the system will be locking the doors in a way that does not arm the factory security system. It will act just like I reached in through an open window and pushed the door panel electric lock switch. When I come back to the car and push the remote's unlock or trunk pop buttons, it will work without setting off the alarm (because the alarm was never armed).

On most occasions, this will be fine as I'm not typically in places where I'm likely to get broken into. Most would assume a car of this caliber does have an alarm, so they won't mess with it, although admittedly the security LED on the door will not be flashing when the system is not armed. But it would be nice to know that the car is protected by the alarm horn and starter disable.

So I'm wondering if there is a way to install this simple KES using the car's door lock and/or security system control units under the glove box in such a way that using the KES remotes will actually arm and disarm the factory security system? (as opposed to simply tapping into the trigger wires at the door lock switch or the trunk solenoid). If there's a better way to do this install, then I want to do it. I'll document the process and others may benefit.

I went ahead and installed my "ebay special" aftermarket keyless entry system. It wasn't really hard once I finally located the wires I needed to tap into. For $20, it's a great alternative to trying to find the old OEM keyless entry. The remotes look OEM and are reasonably small.

If anyone is considering doing the same, I can provide some guidance on the wiring.

prospect...

Just talked to Tim at Ray Laks, 888-729-5257, he can get them, not many.

He said in the spring there were none available.
OEM keyless-entry for a '91-'92 model-year NSX? Interesting... as those were discontinued years ago & units for '93+ models are rather readily available! :cool:

I just talk to tim at acura and he said these are for 93+. No hope for 91 to 92 for oem keyless entry. I'm bummed. I guess i will be one of the few that use their key to open my car door.

I just talk to tim at acura and he said these are for 93+. No hope for 91 to 92 for oem keyless entry. I'm bummed. I guess i will be one of the few that use their key to open my car door.

Do what I did:

Ebay Item 220244861085 Seller was "Autoware302"

Last edited:
able to link?

So I'm wondering if there is a way to install this simple KES using the car's door lock and/or security system control units under the glove box in such a way that using the KES remotes will actually arm and disarm the factory security system? (as opposed to simply tapping into the trigger wires at the door lock switch or the trunk solenoid). If there's a better way to do this install, then I want to do it. I'll document the process and others may benefit.
I went ahead and installed my "ebay special" aftermarket keyless entry system. It wasn't really hard once I finally located the wires I needed to tap into.

If anyone is considering doing the same, I can provide some guidance on the wiring.
Ebay Item 220244861085 Seller was "Autoware302"
Were you able to successfully link this keyless-entry system to the existing factory alarm system?

Thanks, in-advance! :cool:

Re: able to link?

Were you able to successfully link this keyless-entry system to the existing factory alarm system?
Not really. Basically, the system is just like having a chimp inside your car waiting for your command to lock and unlock the doors and pop the trunk open. The KES system does this in a manner that does not arm the alarm, so the security LED does not flash and if someone broke in, the lights and sirens would not go ape$h!t.

If you park in a bad neighborhood or some place where you want to arm the alarm, you just have to lock your doors from the outside with the key. That will arm the factory alarm. You just have to remember to use the key to unlock the car when you want back in. If you forget and hit the unlock button on the remote, the alarm would sound.

For me, I never really go anywhere where I need the alarm and I like the convenience of being able to lock/unlock and pop the trunk remotely. A car like this - it's kind of expected to have KES.

Last edited:
so you couldn't wire it up to the key lock triggers to fool the alarm into thinking it was locked or unlocked using a key?

At this point, I haven't tried everything, although I did get some good ideas from other Primers. I just haven't had time.

I've been working on a bunch of other stuff like installing CT headers, all new cv boots, MTF change, new engine gaskets, NSX-R chassis bars, strut tower bar, etc. I'm almost done with that stuff then I'll get back to messing with the alarm system. Will keep you posted.
David

Back