• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Aftermarket tint removal

I got pulled over today (and ticketed!) because of my tinted windows. Does anyone know how to remove the tint?

DMV made me remove mine after an inspection.
I used a razor blade on the edge to separate the tint from the glass and then peeled it off by hand. You will be left with a sticky residue. I sprayed the glass with Goof Off and let it sit and was able to remove the residue easily with steel wool. It took several applications. I did not want to scrub too hard because I did not want to damage the rear window defogger.

Good luck,

Nate in DC

DRZZZ said:
I got pulled over today (and ticketed!) because of my tinted windows. Does anyone know how to remove the tint?

I'd outsource this job unless you really like to spend time cleaning... and you have some experience with window tint film. Put a post in your regional board to find the best tint shop near you and have them do it. It's a big PITA to clean all the glue off of the windows.

DRZZZ said:

My tint guy includes free removal of tint, if he installed it, in this situation.
They do this because most people take it off for the fix-it ticket clearance and put it right back on.
Ask the shop that you had install it. Or if it was there when you purchased the car and you are going to put it back ask that shop if they will remove it for free considering your new install of tint.

-j-

Its really easy. Take a razor and seperate the tint from the window and peel off. Takes about 5 minutes for that. Then take some windex and spray one window completely and scrape away. Do one section at a time and go slow. Its just glue and you wont scratch your windows. I have removed tint on all my vehicles dating back to 1990 with the same method.

Good luck.

EndlessNSX said:
Its really easy. Take a razor and seperate the tint from the window and peel off. Takes about 5 minutes for that. Then take some windex and spray one window completely and scrape away. Do one section at a time and go slow. Its just glue and you wont scratch your windows.

This is the right way to do it. You don't need solvents to remove the residue, that is way too much work and gets messy. You can scrape it off using this method and it comes off real clean with each swipe of the blade. Works even better in cooler weather. Easiest way I know how to do it...

Thanks for all your help. It took 1.5 hours for the first window, but only 45 minutes for the second one. I peeled it off, then used ammonia Windex and a razor blade to remove the glue (what a mess!). Oh yeah, and 1.5 rolls of paper!:eek:

Dave

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. The easiest way is heat the window up with a hairdryer and start the window tint in a corner and slowly peel it off. A LOT of the glue will let go with the heat and the minimal amount left will come off with H2O and a razor blade.
I have had to remove tint on a couple cars and this worked best, now I will not tint any cars in the future eventhough I love the way it looks!

Although the hairdryer technique works just fine, you must be very careful not to heat up the glass too much. I've heard several horror stories in which the glass will shatter because of excessive heat. Another technique that works well on a hot day is to spray the window with windex that contains amonia, then tape a trash bag over the window trying to keep it free of wrinkles and let it sit in the sun for awhile. when you peel off the trash bag the tint should come right off with it along with most of the glue residue. You can just use a razor blad to remove any remaining glue.

Back