• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Air Compressor Help

I need help picking an air compressor.

I am going to use it for air tools(for the car), perhaps a rented air nailer, perhaps replacing my DA electric Porter Cable with a DA hand air unit, etc

What should I get?

What is the difference between
http://www.portercable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=2583

and one of the larger units sold at home depot or sears that have a huge tank?

They are about the same price (about $200).

I like that the PC unit is smaller and will take less space and is ultimately much more portable. But am I really giving up that much by going with the smaller unit?

Thanks in advance.

Add up the CFM requirements of what you what to run and buy accordingly. Things like air nailers and air wrenches use a lot less air compared to something like a DA. A larger tank only gives you more storage and less cycling of the compressor. If you get something that can keep up with the DA running continuously you should be covered for every thing else.

You might want to check out Harbor Freight, they have a good selection of air compressors IMO

Did some looking around and it looks like you will need 4-5CFM @ 90 psi to run a DA. Looking at the specs for the porter cable unit above it's rated at 5.3 SCFM. So it looks to be right on the edge for what you want to do.

Thank you guys! Both of the response have been very helpful....

I have also heard that the PC units are quieter than the Craftsman units which is a consideration since with a smaller unit the motor will be on more often.

What kind of compressor do you have BrianK?

I just have a small 3/4hp unit with a 2gal tank. Just use it for putting air in tires and stuff. If I have a big job I just go to my brothers house, he has 2 1/2 HP unit with a 30gal tank and runs on 220vac. Its a nice size unit, the tank is horizontal and it has a handle and wheels for easy movement.

Reviving yet another old thread .......

Harbor Freight has an ad insert today showing two 21 gallon air compressors both at $139 one is a 220V (lot No 93271) the other 110V (lot No 94667), both are oil lubricated and both are 3 HP. Max psi varies: 110V at 115psi vs. 220 at 90psi .

Costco is carrying the Campbell Hausfeld air compressor with tools - both in their stores and online. Often the tools would be below average. Their comparable Low Rider 26 gallon oil lubricated has 1.8HP, 150 psi and is $329.

I know Sears offers other products too ...........

For general household use (assume nailers, car related projects, etc.,) which direction would you go? What do you recommend? What's new out there nowadays? Mainetance issues? 110v or 220v TIA.

Like stated before, check the CFM of the tools you want to use. I just picked up a 30 gallon craftsman that'll run 6.0cfm at 90 PSI, max 150 PSI. I'd say its about as low as you want to go if you'll be running air wrenches, ratchets, etc. 220volt units have more power, so build up pressure quicker.

The larger the reserve, the less you'll have to listen to it run. And beware, some of these things are LOUD (I won't run my craftsman at night as a neighborhood courtesy!).

Oil less is lower maintenance, but longer life if I remember right. Unless you'll be running it daily, I doubt it matters either way.

I am focusing on the cfm features as well. But 6.0 cfm at 90 psi limits it pretty much to the more heavy duty compressors at the higher end. I want to limit the budget to $200 or less if possible given what use it will have.

The oil lubricated ones seem to run at about 10+ decibels lower (in low 70s compared to mid 80s for oil-less) though reading their maintenance requirements with recommended optional filters .... is getting too complicated for me ;-)

Here is some info on CFM requirements and other compressor info.

Regarding the Costco and HF models, these would take a LONG time to fill up...I'm thinking at least 15 minutes for the Hausfeld. I have a 2HP/6 gal that takes over 2 minutes to reach 135PSI. I also have a big one for big jobs that takes just under 6 minutes to fill up (6HP/26gal). Keep HP/volume in mind, because the sound of the compressor is pretty annoying.

Have you considered buying a used unit in good condition?

I have had luck w/ buying compressors on craigslist/Recycler. I started w/ a Campbell Hausfeld 15 or 20 gal (LOUD!!) and eventually stepped up to a Snap On 30 gal. I have the one man bleeder tool and I still have to wait for the compressor to fill up the tank. It's not that long but would have taken forever w/ the smaller tanks/compressor. That extra 25 psi helps as well :biggrin:

Jeff

I finally consulted with my cousin the electrical engineer to figure the required circuitry - after buying one from Harbor Freight
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94667

I wish I had consulted him before. See these excellent write-ups:

-----

The attached two links give you some idea about the hype that goes into claims about horsepower ratings of compressors (similar to diet plans claims). Is yours made in China by any chance??

http://www.truetex.com/aircompressors.htm

http://www.kevinsbrady.net/motors.pdf (see bottom paragraph of page 3)

So bottom line, on a regular 120V circuitry, one can't expect to get more than 1.5HP at best and more like 1 HP ..... Back to getting the Craftsman.

OK, just checking ........ does your compressor tank maintain the psi in the tank for say 24 or 48 hours after you shut it off or does it slowly leak air?

I pretty much checked all the fittings (except for the one which has to do with the brass pipe/connection filling the air into the tank) and tightened them more than before using Teflon tape, but I am still losing about 10-15 psi overnight though less than before. My tank has 21 gallon capacity.

Not a biggy, I like the utility of the air compressor but just checking since my portable 5 gallon tank with one fitting doesn't seem to lose air.

Back