• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Air Compressor to pop off right half-shaft axle nut

After 188,500 miles I have to repack my right inner (and while at it, outer) cv joints. Some previous tech reused the axle nut and the previous stake may be preventing it from coming off. I broke a brand new 3/4" to 1/2" impact adaptor with a cheater bar! (Did get my money back)Does anyone have an air impact setup that can break this nut free?

After 188,500 miles I have to repack my right inner (and while at it, outer) cv joints. Some previous tech reused the axle nut and the previous stake may be preventing it from coming off. I broke a brand new 3/4" to 1/2" impact adaptor with a cheater bar! (Did get my money back)Does anyone have an air impact setup that can break this nut free?
I have a basic air gun?? with a compression and sockets.. also a air ratchet?? I bought the set up at Costco. My compressor is only a 5 gallon. I think the larger the compressor the better so it may not be strong enough.
Let me know if you would like to borrow.. Not sure if my set up is strong enough for you ..
Let me know.. Im home over the weekend. 303-917-4985 - Sebastian

Mark,

I wish I had the tools to lend you, but unfortunately I don't:frown: hopefully you get that off without too much more trouble? Let us know if Sebastian set-up will help you or not?

That looks like it would work. The two compressors I've borrowed haven't budged it, but they are only 1/2" drive units and have a max of 5 cfs. From what I read, I really need a 3/4"drive unit and a minimum of 7 cfs, better with 10 cfs.

How can I get a hold of this unit? Preferably before the weekend, when it is supposed to get cold again.

Thanks,

Mark

That looks like it would work. The two compressors I've borrowed haven't budged it, but they are only 1/2" drive units and have a max of 5 cfs. From what I read, I really need a 3/4"drive unit and a minimum of 7 cfs, better with 10 cfs.

How can I get a hold of this unit? Preferably before the weekend, when it is supposed to get cold again.

Thanks,

Mark
Geez.. That sucker is stuck on there!!

Discretion being the better part of valor, and the 36mm nut being somewhat beat up by prior attempts to remove it, and only having a 12 point socket (hinting strongly at slipping off), I took the car to a local, highly recommended mechanic, who finished the job yesterday (for $200.00). Frankly it sure beat crawling around on a cold garage floor in December!

Do you have time for lunch tomorrow or Thursday? I owe you one.

Thanks

Mark

Back