• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Air leaking noise from front of car with sulpher (rotten eggs) type smell

Hopefully someone can help me with this one.

I travelled 1250km over the weekend. When arriving back in Sydney I noticed an unpleasant smell which smelt like sulphur (rotten eggs) - and I thought to myself, "Sydney smells like Rotorua" (for those who had the pleasure of going to this geothermal wonderland in NZ known as "Sulphur City").......but when I pulled into my carpark deep underground and could still smell it, I began to think "bugger, it must be me".

When I opened up the bonnet (front hood) I was left in no doubt that it was me!!!

A air leaking noise (almost a hiss) was coming from the under the front hood (it seemed to be coming from somewhere next to the firewall).

Engine temp was normal.

I went back down an hour later and the noise had stopped (the smell lingered but eventually went away).

I appreciate you taking the time to read this thread.

cheers
Grant

Grant,

you should take your car to Hannys Performance 97255115 talk to Robert / Peter, they should be able to help you . . .

---laski

Thanks Brian - interesting you say that, because my battery is completely stuffed.

I purchased the battery about 2 years ago. It was recommended that a 12V Optima Battery 34 costing A$372 was the correct battery for my needs (I indicated that I required a battery that had the ability to recover from not being used for a couple of weeks and could handle irregular use). When I got the battery a technician checked the charging capability of my alternator and he said it was charging fine.

Since I got the battery it has not been capable of being left unused for more than 10 days. 10 days turned into 9 which turned into 8 etc........accordingly, it has gone dead a number of times in the last 6 months or so, to the point now that it can no longer 'hold a charge' - for example, after driving over 600km on Saturday, the following morning (yesterday) the car could hardly crank over. Then the smell and hiss started that night.

Could it be that because it can't hold a charge anymore that it can't handle my charging system trying to charge it?

Thanks again.

I think Brian hit the nail with that grant. Considering what you told me bout your battery.

Brian- AC is still great thanx mate

Thanks for your help Brian - I can guarantee that if I took my NSX into an NSX dealer they would spend $1000's looking (everywhere accept the battery) for the leak, and yet you can head the nail on the head based on a written description of the problem!!!

I remember a few years ago, I drove from Maryland to Indiana in my newly bought 93 MR2, with only 12K miles on it, and I had the exact problem as you described. At first, I could not figure out what the smell was. I then heard hissing and a boiling smell. The battery literally fried on the way home.

wow you guys serious?

I got the walmart 45$ special. i leave my car for 2 month and it cranks over just fine.... even have the alarm on too. :biggrin:

NeoNSX said:
Holy cow, how did you know that <B>Briank</B>? First hand experience?

Yeah, as soon as I saw "rotten egg smell" in this thread I knew what it was. I had the same thing happen on one of my motorcycles. I was getting a rotten sulfur smell... and when I checked the battery it needed water to be added.

NSXclubofAustralia said:
I purchased the battery about 2 years ago. It was recommended that a 12V Optima Battery 34 costing A$372 was the correct battery for my needs

The Optima batteries have a high failure rate, some swear at them, some swear by them. I would not be surprised if you got a dud from the beginning. It could also be that you have high current draw when your car is off which drained your battery. If that is the case, you will want to track down the reason why you have high durrent draw. When your battery is cycled from dead to charged in a repetitive fashion, it will not last long. Instead of spending the extra money on the battery, it would be better if you bought a cheap battery with a good warranty and kept it maintained properly with a maintainer like the Battery Tender.

See this thread for more info.

wow, so optima really does suck.... i had one in my civic for not even a year.

when i got back from japan after only 3 mos it didn't have enough charge to start the car (nsx started fine with some random battery). a couple months later i shut the car off to get my mail after driving back to the apt from work (key on the same ring as the car key), got back into the car, and it wouldn't start - was done after that.

no way i am ever spending that kind of money on an optima again..... die hard with a better warranty and 2x cheaper will do.

Back