• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Al Gore getting sued by CEO of Weather Channel

Well, I was feeling a little chilly...

Weatherman radar gets jammed by chemtrails-Military testing
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qc0TWVtozio&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qc0TWVtozio&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

This is a good start to debunking the crazy Global Warming Hoax... :rolleyes:

Wake up and smell the increased sun output!
Sheesh! Fox News? Are you serious? :rolleyes:

10shsom.jpg

Image from Bad Astronomy: Here comes the Sun… again (Is Global Warming Solar Induced? is also a relevant article)

Coleman's an idiot, as demonstrated by his grasp of chemistry, physics, and basic math in the very article you linked to...

The compound carbon dioxide makes up only 38 out of every 100,000 particles in the atmosphere, he said.
Right.

That's about twice as what there were in the atmosphere in the time we started burning fossil fuels, so it's gone up
Right.

... but it's still a tiny compound.
Right... if you're looking at volume or perhaps mass, but aren't we talking about properties of gases?

So how can that tiny trace compound have such a significant effect on temperature?
Duh, it's called chemistry. Different gases have different properties. The one we're interested in is GWP.

Prove it to yourself: Take a look at the composition of our atmosphere. Together, N2 and O2 make up over 99% of the atmosphere, yet they don't absorb energy and therefore, do not contribute to global warming at all. Why is Coleman including these in the figures he mentions?

If you exclude these two elements along with the others that are not greenhouse gases and factor in the GWP, you'll see that CO2 contributes to over half of the global warming (refer to this, specifically the "increased radiative forcing" column).

So, it's not 0.038%. It's the doubling of the gas that makes up over half of all greenhouse gases. I'd say that is certainly significant.

Last edited:
Expanding Earth
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7kL7qDeI05U&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7kL7qDeI05U&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Nice. Everyone knows this global warming stuff is crap. About time someone has the guts to speak up.

Well on the positive side, I could expect my heating bills to go down next winter.

Everyone knows this global warming stuff is crap.
Then, what's the motivation behind it? And please don't tell me underpants theory... :p

Talk about conspiracy theories! Or maybe the first scientific application of underpants plan:
  1. Invent global warming
  2. Collect PhDs
  3. ?
  4. Profits!

About time someone has the guts to speak up.
Well, you still have an ally in GM Chairman Bob Lutz. Too bad it's not the 1990s when nearly all of the execs at auto, big oil, energy industries, not to mention lobbyists, politicians, think tanks were behind you.

The title of this post is not accurate. The founder of the Weather Channel suggests suing Al Gore. He has not actually sued Al Gore nor has the Weather Channel.

i think they should just ufc it out. hippys never win:tongue: neither does man bear pig:tongue:

"The founder of the Weather Channel wants to sue Al Gore for fraud, hoping a legal debate will settle the global-warming debate once and for all.

John Coleman, who founded the cable network in 1982, suggests suing for fraud proponents of global warming, including Al Gore, and companies that sell carbon credits.

"Is he committing financial fraud? That is the question," Coleman said.

"Since we can't get a debate, I thought perhaps if we had a legal challenge and went into a court of law, where it was our scientists and their scientists,
"

Here's one of a numbe of articles that say we have cooled..
http://www.washingtontimes.com/article/20071219/COMMENTARY/10575140

I also saw an episode on Glen Beck where a study was made and it was shown that one of the poles (might have been the North) was actually cooling and had the highest density of ice, whereas the other was warming, however, Al Gore only mentions the one that is warming in his movie.

Among other things, the posits were that:
+Global cooling/warming is all natural cycle. We were warming in the early 1900s, cooling in the 50/60's, warming again and maybe now cooling.
+The shot of the polar bear clinching to the ice piece was during the peak of summer from the pole that is warming.. but Al Gore didn't say that.

In any case, I am too begining to wonder this global warming stuff... The way I look at it though, is the more efficient somethings gets, the less money I pay. All my lights are florescents in my house. That's savings of 60%+, though my utility was still 550+ last month (w / gas) :eek:

EDIT: On second thought, after reading the link above, maybe not... http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/2007/

Last edited:
Then, what's the motivation behind it? And please don't tell me underpants theory... :p

The same motivation they had 25 years ago when they were talking about "Global Cooling". It was on the front page of Time magazine and everything. Scientist were terrified it was going to end mankind as we knew it. All the data showed we were headed towards an ice age.

What all this comes down to is the fact that MOST scientist aren't that smart. Plain and simple. You have a handful that do all the real work, the rest just recite definitions(pretending a definition of something is knowledge) and do bogus experiments.

The bottom line is mother nature is WAY more powerful than man. Look at Chernobyl. The place is flooded with animals, including rare protected ones. Hell even some species are thriving. There is a worm that used to only reproduce by it self. Now it is having sex with other worms! :biggrin:

Oh by the way, last season we had 17" of snow in WI. This year we had 80"

Last season I had green grass growing on New years day. This year it was below zero with 2 feet of snow.

I am sorry, what we do has no impact over what mother nature has in store for us. I hope a huge meteor hits us, and fills the sky with dust, and it goes into the Ice Age. Al Gore will say after it is -100F "thank god we had global warming last year, otherwise it would have been -150F" :biggrin:

I hope most people here realize that this subject is moot. We in the United States can cry all we want, do all we want, reduce emissions all we want; it will do no good. China and India combined have about 7 times as many people and neither country will be doing anything about pollution or carbon emissions anytime in the foreseeable future. Their output will continue unabated and there is nothing we'll be able to do about it.

Why not worry about your drinking water instead?... Your effort would have a greater impact on your future health and your children's too.

I just read this article and I thought of this thread.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=88520025

What I love about articles like this is that when a certain popular theory picks up speed, the theory will often make certain assertions such as "If A (Global Warming) then B(sea temperature will rise)" and then when it's tested, B is not only not true, but the inverse is true :tongue:

The response then is not "maybe we got this Theory wrong... let's actually have a discussion with the other Scientists that question it," but instead backpedalling... eg:

"Global warming doesn't mean every year will be warmer than the last. And it may be that we are in a period of less rapid warming."

More reason to suspect the Global Warming theory and not throw out the naysayers as nut-jobs.

"Wisdom is justified by it's children" - eg: time will only tell.

^^^ holy crap... thats really cool!
I hope you realize there is absolutely no way this could ever occur/has ever occured! Afterall, we all know the earth is flat! :D

The same motivation they had 25 years ago when they were talking about "Global Cooling". It was on the front page of Time magazine and everything. Scientist were terrified it was going to end mankind as we knew it. All the data showed we were headed towards an ice age.

Thank you for clarifying. It sounds to me like you are dismissing global warming because some predictions about the environment we made in the past turned out to be false. I think this is certainly a fair enough reason to be skeptical. But, how about we call this what it really is - a dissatisfaction with false alarms?

From Collapse p510...
In other spheres of our lives, such as fires, we adopt a common sense attitude toward false alarms. Our local governments maintain expensive firefighting forces, even though in some small towns they are rarely called on to put out fires. Of the fire alarms phoned in to fire departments, many prove to be false alarms, and many others involve small fires that the property owner himself then succeeds in putting out before the fire engine arrives. We comfortably accept a certain frequency of such false alarms and extinguished fires, because we understand that fire risks are uncertain and hard to judge when a fire has just started, and that a fire that does rage out of control may exact high costs in property in human lives. No sensible person would dream of abolishing the town fire department, whether manned by full-time professionals or volunteers, just because a few years went by without a big fire. Nor would anyone blame a homeowner for calling the fire department on detecting a small fire, only to be succeeded in quenching the fire before the fire truck's arrival. Only if false alarms become an inordinately high proportion of all fire alarms do we feel that something is wrong. In effect, the proportion of all fire alarms that we tolerate is based on subconsciously comparing the frequency and destructive costs of big fires with the frequency and wasted-services costs of false alarms. A very low frequency of false alarms proves that too many homeowners are being to cautious, waiting too long to call the fire department, and consequently losing their homes.

By the same reasoning, we must expect some environmentalist warnings to turn out to be false alarms, otherwise we would know that our environmental warning systems were much to conservative. The multibillion-dollar costs of many environmental problems justify a moderate frequency of false alarms. In addition, the reason that alarms proved false is often that they convinced us to adopt successful countermeasures. For example, it's true that our air quality in LA today is not as bad as some gloom-and-doom predictions of 50 years ago. However, that's entirely because LA and the state of California were thereby aroused to adopt many countermeasures (such as vehicle emission standards, smog certifications, and lead-free gas), not because initial predictions of the problems were exaggerated.

All that said, comparing global cooling of the 1970s to global warming, is like comparing apples and oranges. At best, cooling was a hypothesis that was used to try to explain a slight cooling trend over a few decades back when we new little about the causes of ice ages. Although, as you mentioned, it was popularized by the media, it never had much scientific support (the vast majority scientific papers on climate actually reported that temperatures would increase rather than continue to decrease). It certainly was not an "alarm" from the scientific community, quite unlike global warming.

The bottom line is mother nature is WAY more powerful than man. Look at Chernobyl. The place is flooded with animals, including rare protected ones. Hell even some species are thriving. There is a worm that used to only reproduce by it self. Now it is having sex with other worms! :biggrin:

I am sorry, what we do has no impact over what mother nature has in store for us.
Hi Tom! No doubt, you're right: In general, Mother Nature is many orders of magnitude powerful than man. Your Chernobyl example is a perfect one that illustrates how the world doesn't care one way or the other whether we're around. It will go on well after the last human is gone. However, that's not exactly relevant to this discussion. The way I see things: it's not who is more powerful, but whether or not man has the ability to influence the environment in which we live, specifically the climate.

So, I'm guessing your assertion is that man is too insignificant to influence something as huge as the earth. Perhaps it may not seem like it, but consider a spin of this assertion: What would it take for humans to successfully affect the climate?

Here's a scenario (please accept my apology for borrowing bits from mediocre sci-fi flicks :)):

Let's say the sun has gotten a bit dimmer and we're all living in, what appears to be, a permanent mini ice age. Temperatures worldwide are on average 10 degrees C cooler than they are now. In order to save the lives of billions, humankind decides they need warm up the planet. How would they go about doing so?

Are you saying that we are doomed? Even considering what we know about the radiation absorbing quality of gases (mentioned above)? Surely, dumping all the sulfur hexafluoride we could get our hands on would help us. No?

How many great civilizations of the past (with modest technology compared to what we have at our disposal today) have made the same mistake (on a slightly smaller scale) - believing there's no way they could affect a forest that's so lush, soil that is so fertile, water supply that seems inexhaustible, all on land with no apparent bounds?

Last edited:
I hope most people here realize that this subject is moot. We in the United States can cry all we want, do all we want, reduce emissions all we want; it will do no good. China and India combined have about 7 times as many people and neither country will be doing anything about pollution or carbon emissions anytime in the foreseeable future. Their output will continue unabated and there is nothing we'll be able to do about it.
I agree with the first part: They are after the first world lifestyle - our Western lifestyle. It's hard to place any blame on them. They even copy iPhones, Hondas, and Benzs. It's clear they are following our lead. I don't agree that "there is nothing we'll be able to do about it"...

We pulled out of Kyoto, we rejected the proposed goals at Bali. While other first world countries have aggressive goals, W won't agree to even the most modest reductions, whining how it's unfair for us while developing countries go free. Meanwhile, developing countries have little incentive to change since we've made it clear that it's OK to do as please. I imagine it'd be easier to set minimum standards for our trading partners if we had some decent ones ourselves. It's worked before.

Furthermore, it's absurd to think (as W insists) that we are giving up economic reward when we invest in the environment. The Clean Air Act has netted a savings over a trillion dollars per year, mostly in productivity increases and decreases in healthcare costs. Germany, in spite of being cloudy and situated in the upper latitudes, has build a huge solar industry with a relatively small investment. There are countless other examples.

Actually, doubt even W believes he'd be trading the economy for the environment. It's obvious it's more about trading the economy of certain industries rather than the economy at large. As I said before, survival of big oil is not a problem I really care about...

The economy and our comfortable way of life won't come to a halt - new technologies will emerge as market forces necessitate them. There will be tons of opportunities for innovative companies to come up with new solutions and this will drive the economy. This is good news to all of us. I can understand if oil and other energy companies would be a bit scared, but that is truly their problem, not ours.

slownsxt, if you're weighing what you're reading and hearing...

One important thing to remember is even if you are not convinced global warming is a likely threat, it's unwise to arrive at a position based on which side wins the most points. I read this variation of Pascal's Wager and found it illustrates the point pretty well:

If the babysitter you hired to watch over your children came with nine sterling recommendations, but at the last minute you received a phone call from a stranger who told you the sitter was a pedophile, wouldn't you, at the very least, cancel the services of this suddenly questionable sitter until you could discover for yourself the efficacy of the charge? If there was even one chance in 10 that this person might do your child harm, is it not your sacred and legal duty as guardian to discover beyond a shadow of a doubt the truth of the accusation and to disallow that sitter from your home until such time?

slownsxt, if you're weighing what you're reading and hearing...

One important thing to remember is even if you are not convinced global warming is a likely threat, it's unwise to arrive at a position based on which side wins the most points. I read this variation of Pascal's Wager and found it illustrates the point pretty well:

I'm not a "Climate Scientists," but if I had to "guess" (because that's the best that I could do given my ignorance..) I'd hypothesize and say we are having a negative impact on the environment.

What bothers me though is the arrogance that appears to exist on the side of the "Global Warming spells doom" and not have a respectful discussion with other Scientists.

Back