• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Aligning the Steering Wheel.

When my car is going straight, my steering wheel is slightly turned to the right. I just had major service done to the car (clutch / flywheel, timing belt, water pump, aligment). Some have told me if I had an aligment, this should have been corrected. Is this an easy fix? If so, how?

Vendetta said:
When my car is going straight, my steering wheel is slightly turned to the right. I just had major service done to the car (clutch / flywheel, timing belt, water pump, aligment). Some have told me if I had an aligment, this should have been corrected. Is this an easy fix? If so, how?

If you let go of the wheel and it centers, but then the car doesn't go straight hands off, bring it back and have them correct it. There's something more than the steering wheel centering going on.

If it goes straight, bring it back and have them correct it. :smile:

Actually, it's easy to center the wheel if that's all that's wrong with the alignment. You just need to turn the tie-rod ends on both sides of the car the SAME NUMBER OF TURNS to center the steering wheel.

But really, you paid for an alignment and they should have centered the wheel as part of the alignment. Bring it back and have them do what they should have done correctly to start with.

dquarasr2 said:
But really, you paid for an alignment and they should have centered the wheel as part of the alignment. Bring it back and have them do what they should have done correctly to start with.

EXACTLY!!!!!!! Any alignment show that is worth a hoot will straighten your wheel. NOW, don't just drive away if it isn't right again, drive right back in and do it again. I had to do it three times once to get it right. I was really glad that I took the time to get it right. SO, don't go back unless you have the time to do the test drives. BE PATIENT.

There is nothing like looking at your steering wheel going down the road and it is exactly straight........I know my wife tells me that I'm a perfectionist.......not the first time that I have heard it. You get no virgin here.

Good luck, don't give up!
Brad

Man, I've taken more crap from any number of people because I insist that my steering wheel be straight. Maybe I am a little anal as it almost ruins the driving experience if the damn thing is crooked. I might need some help...

Vendetta said:

It sounds to me the steering wheel was not straight even before the alignement. It's very possiblw it was removed in the past and not installed correctly. Doing this is relatively simlpe and explained in the service manual. Just make sure your wheels are pointed straight ahead, yank the damn thing off and re-install it correctly. Big whoopdie doo.

Back