• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Almost a house electical fire

I was working on my NSX today and the lights in my garage suddenly went off. I went into the basement and there was a burning smell.

I ran to the electrical boxes/circuit breakers and the smell was intense. The garage light circuit was tripped. I removed the panel to the box and the wire to that breaker was melted and charred!!!

The house is less then a year old and I was not using anything on that circuit other then the garage lighting. It was kind of scary.

The circuit is 15 amp and has the garage lights, garage door opener, basement lights and my home alarm system on it.

Needless to say, that circuit will remain off until I get an electrican here.

Could a defective circuit breaker cause this problem? I am not sure why this would happen.

[This message has been edited by Periokid (edited 16 February 2003).]

[This message has been edited by Periokid (edited 16 February 2003).]

What kind/how many lights on in the garage at the time?
What were the wattage of all on lights?
Were basement lights on also?
Add up all of the wattages on lights that were on and divide by 120. That will give you how much current is in the circuit.
(I=P/E) Current(in amps) = power(in watts)divided by voltage.
If you were using a few of those floor standing 500 watt halogen lights, you could get up there in a hurry and overload your circuit.
15 amps really isnt a lot of current so its easy to overload.
From what you explained though, it sounds like a loose connection at the circuit breaker. That would explain the heat and smell. Even if they wired the circuit with 16 gauge wire it shouldn't have got so hot with 15 amps so as to produce smell.
Have an electrician look at it and the rest of your wiring to see if it is up to code. If its not, I'd say you have issues with the builder.

Thanks for the feedback

I added up every conceiveable item i could think of and i got about 7 amps. when the garage door operates it will go up but not past 15 amps.

You may be right about the loose connection. I examined the current connection (no pun intented) and it is separated from the circuit breaker. I am just not sure if that is due to the burnt wire or a faulty connection.

David since the breaker was tripped, it means it did its job and is working. If those two heaters you have are hooked up to the same circuit with the lights and compressor it may have caused your breaker to trip.Also if there was a loose connection at the breaker it would also be a problem .... if you want me to come look at it ill try and get out there later in the week after this snow clears a bit.

[This message has been edited by Acura NsX Pilot (edited 17 February 2003).]

I second the suggestion that it was a loose connection at the breaker.

This hasn't been your month, has it?
frown.gif

------------------
Russ
'91 black/black

Originally posted by Acura NsX Pilot:
David since the breaker was tripped, it means it did its job and is working. If those two heaters you have are hooked up to the same circuit with the lights and compressor it may have caused your breaker to trip.Also if there was a loose connection at the breaker it would also be a problem .... if you want me to come look at it ill try and get out there later in the week after this snow clears a bit.

[This message has been edited by Acura NsX Pilot (edited 17 February 2003).]

The heaters are on a separate circuit and that looks fine. The compressor and lift have their own as well.

If your house is less than a year old, you should check to see if you still have a warranty before you call out an electrician. Sometimes, the warranty company will only pay for a contractor who is from their list of vendors. They may not reimburse you for someone you contact. I know this, because it has happened to me. I contacted someone to fix my plumbing, and then called the warranty company immediately after he fixed it. Unfortunately, they would not reimburse me.

Good luck!

Thanks to everyone that has replied.

The final diagnosis is a faulty connection to the circuit breaker.

The electrican replaced the breaker and cut off the burnt section of wire.

No charge, of course.

Now my garage life can continue!

[This message has been edited by Periokid (edited 18 February 2003).]

Back