• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Alpine Head Unit installed.

I finally finished the install of the in dash DVD player. While installing the head unit trying to tuck in all the wires I somehow managed to scratch the trim panel. If you look under the left side of the deck you can see a 1/4" - 1/2" scratch. Should I cover it up with some sort of an emblem (I was thinking of taking off the Alpine badge from the speaker grill and covering it up) or should I take everything out and have the trim panel repainted.

Is there an aftermarket carbon fibre kit that will fit over top of the trim piece that Craig Hardy sells.

TIA

12158654-6efe-02000180-.jpg

[This message has been edited by NSX2NV (edited 19 August 2002).]

Nice setup. There is no carbon fiber trim set that uses the same profile. If you want to make the scratch go away, the best way would be to remove it, sand, and respray. May be an opportunity to do something unique, like all silver:

nav2_display_large.jpg

------------------
Revolutionize your NSX with ScienceofSpeed
www.ScienceofSpeed.com | [email protected] | 877-863-4520

My next project is to mount my amps. I may put them in the trunk. How or what way is the best to run the power and remote wire through the fire walls into the trunk.

TIA

Originally posted by NSX2NV:
I finally finished the install of the in dash DVD player. While installing the head unit trying to tuck in all the wires I somehow managed to scratch the trim panel. If you look under the left side of the deck you can see a 1/4" - 1/2" scratch. Should I cover it up with some sort of an emblem (I was thinking of taking off the Alpine badge from the speaker grill and covering it up) or should I take everything out and have the trim panel repainted.

Is there an aftermarket carbon fibre kit that will fit over top of the trim piece that Craig Hardy sells.

TIA

12158654-6efe-02000180-.jpg

I am going to be getting the piece from craig hardy.My audio guys are going to have it dipped in carbon fiber.John

Looks great. Congrats.

Could you post side profile shots as well. I'm curious how the radio bezel looks in relation to the new dash panel.

Thaks,
Fabian

I'd respray that piece so that the nav housing is the same color as the rest of the dash. I'll post some pics of mine when the fiberglass gets finished. They will also be fiberglassing the passenger floor to accomodate a 10 inch sub.

Gavin

I like your matching shiftknob. Fits the colour characteristic of your car.

smile.gif

I wish I could see your car in person
frown.gif

NSX2NV, Your install looks great, very clean. Just wondering if you don't mind me asking, what kind of money does it take to purchase and install something along those lines? Just looking for a ballpark number, I know it would depend on type of equipment, labor rate etc. Again, just curious about a ballpark. Thanks for the info.

Jason

------------------
Jason

Jason,

I am installing the system myself so I saved the labour. Not that I couldn't pay for it I just like to work on the car myself.

Alpine Head Unit $1400.00
Centre Console Trim $450.00
Nav Display Pod $400.00
Alpine Screen $900.00
Oem to Aftermarket Adpater $35.00
(for head unit)
Components, Amps, Subs $2400.00
Misc (wood, vinyl, wiring) $350.00

Total $5935.00

These amts are in Canadian dollars. ($3800.00-$3900.00 us)

[This message has been edited by NSX2NV (edited 26 August 2002).]

They changed the Honda adapter after 97. I took my stock deck to a stereo shop just to make sure I got the right one.

Originally posted by ScienceofSpeed:
Nice setup. There is no carbon fiber trim set that uses the same profile. If you want to make the scratch go away, the best way would be to remove it, sand, and respray. May be an opportunity to do something unique, like all silver:

nav2_display_large.jpg

Chris, What shift knob is that?And where can you get the chrome tip for the emergency break?John

Thanks for the side profile pic. Would it have been possible to install the Alpine head unit flush? Was it a depth/clearance issue, or is the radio design such that the bezel would always protrude from the dash face?

Are there any mp3 playback capable head units that can be totally flush?

Thanks,
Fabian

You could flush the head unit into the console but I wasn't able to do it. I decided to send the car into a custom, stereo install shop to flush mount the head unit make a custom sub enclosure I'll post pics when it's done.

Johnny

Originally posted by aaronb:

I thought carbon fiber was a layup process like fiberglass -- how can you dip it?

It is. "Dipped" refers to a thin sheet of plastic with a CF look printed on it that is secured to the surface.

The shift knob is an RM shift knob (which I won back at NSXPO99. (It's the only part that has been on all of my cars, so it has some history!
smile.gif
). All the early cars have chrome e-brake buttons I believe (yours may be a later car, or the chrome (which is just a layer) may have worn off.

-- Chris

------------------
Revolutionize your NSX with ScienceofSpeed
www.ScienceofSpeed.com | [email protected] | 877-863-4520

[This message has been edited by ScienceofSpeed (edited 09 September 2002).]

Back