• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Alpine PDX-5 (150x2 Bridged, 300x1 Mono)

I've been waiting for this unit to come out and wondering if anyone has tried one of these out yet. Real Small footprint (most likely placed in the location of the OEM CD Changed and concealed with carpet to make it hidden.)

It can do 150x2 to the Fronts, and do 300x1 to the sub. I have the V3 Enclosure with the Eartquake SWS10 which really is 200 RMS, 400 Max. So that should be enough headroom for them.

The Fronts are Dynaudio 242GTs which are 100 RMS, so 150x2 should be fine for them too. I guess the question is how does it sound? I've never had issues with Alpine Amps except they just never had the punch of a JL Audio amp when it came to powering subs... However since these are Digital and seem to be similar in design and layout to the new JL Amps, I've been thinking about these for a long time.

JL Audio's HD600.4 doesn't do 3-channel mode nicely... so thats the reason I'm considering the Alpine.

Thoughts from anyone whos used it or installed it and hear it?

the 4 channel puts out that much power. the specs they give you are actually less than what they will do. my PDX 4.100 tested out @ 139x4 @ 4 ohms.

im installing the PDX5 into a carrera right now but it will be on JL 3-ways in the front, smaller rears and an 8" sub behind the rear seat. im sure it will sound great as im very happy with my 4 channel. these little amps packa nice punch.

I have this amp installed in my 2008 M3. It's a great little amp. The only thing I don't like is that you cannot sum the inputs. In the PDX-4 you could just use a single set of inputs. But the PDX-5 requires all 3 (front/rear/sub).

The spec sheet it came with said it put out 4x105 and 1x408 on the sub. :D That's a powerful little amp.

I guess naturally I want to compare this to the old JL Audio 500/5 which did 125x2 fr, 25x2 rr, and 250x1 to the subs. I used that amp in every BMW setup with the Stealthboxes and it sounded beautiful!!! I'm wondering in comparison if I substituted the JL 500/5 with the Alpine PDX-5 would I notice a difference in sound (especially the base part...) and would it be for better or worse. The Alpines used to sound flat compared to the JLs amps.

I'm sure half the size is a HUGE plus ;)

I forgot to mention the headunit would be a Kenwood DNX8220.

I have the Alpine PDX 4.150, I absolutely love the power it puts out for such a small amp!

--David

Yup I have this amp in my s2000 running my entire system, works wonders and sounds AWESOME on my Focals :)

rk

Both these amps are made in China. I suggest if you want a good 3 channel to go with the Audison SRX-3. You will not be disappointed with Audison. I do like my Alpine but it's made in China...

I don't see any issues with that unless you plan to eat the amplifier.

I don't see any issues with that unless you plan to eat the amplifier.

I think the only reason MalibuRapper mentioned that was because he probably saw I'm running DynAudios and thought that Alpine is fine, but Audison might be better if I'm using such High End speakers...

Mentally I kinda knew that, but its now confirmed :)

I think the only reason MalibuRapper mentioned that was because he probably saw I'm running DynAudios and thought that Alpine is fine, but Audison might be better if I'm using such High End speakers...

Mentally I kinda knew that, but its now confirmed :)

Exactly...

A lot of us watched the car audio industry collapse. Most of those old school, high end brands got absorbed and the quality went out the window. While I do appreciate being able to buy 1000 watts of power for a couple hundred bucks, the equipment just isn't what it used to be like when these amps used to be made in the USA. You wouldn't touch Chinese made amps back then but they've gotten a lot better. Still, there's only a handful of high end companies that are dedicated to putting out quality equipment.

CarCrazed4Life spent some extra money to make sure he got some of the best speakers so I figured he might want a better amp. While I like my Alpine PDX-5, we still have to see how well it holds up over time.

Back