• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Alternatives to loud @$$ Walboro fuel pump?

I have the Walboro with CTSC + RC 440 injector + AEM kit. However, that thing is lowder and whiner than a bi... If you let it go for 10 seconds, it can drain the battery to the point that it's harder to start.

Anyway - are there alternatives to it, preferably Japanese?

Ive had mine from Sos for maybe 3 years or 4 and its not loud.
One time in Kelowna on a trip it got loud for 5 minutes only.
Otherwise no problems.
Trev

The term Whinebro had to have come from somewhere, and I've heard some that are loud. On the other hand all of the Walbro pumps I've run personally have run relatively quietly. Maybe some of these are just noisier than others. Your other options are the new Deatschwerks 300lph pump or the new Aeromotive 340lph pump.

You have to specify if you have an internal or an external Walbro. I have an internal and I barely notice it at all. I'm also on a slim race battery that drains pretty quickly yet I don't have the battery issue you have.

Find the factory Denso pump that came in the Supras. That's a popular alternative but also double the price of a Walbro 255.

How would it be "broke"? It works and pumps fuel, just loud. I suppose it was wired wrong or maybe I have a super duper powerful one? It came with the car prior..
Yes, it can be loud and be equally just as broke yet still work. If it is broken,it won't work for long.

The Walbro impeller pump is an "industry standard" and similar in design to the factory pump. They are *slightly* louder than the factory pump - most customers can not tell the difference. Since a level of noise is subjective, it may be good to have a tech listen that is familiar with the NSX. If the noise is extraordinarily loud, the most common reason for this will be contamination in the pump. The new Aeromotive and Deatschwerks pumps are very good, and use a newer style turbine pump that is much quieter, perhaps quieter than the factory pump? They do have a MUCH higher current draw than the factory pump. If you do not upgrade the wiring, the performance of the pump will be less than the Walbro you have installed now. Also, because they have a very high flow rate, an upgraded fuel regulator may be required - since this will result in pressure at the rail being different than what you have now, verification on the dyno would be advised to observe fuel ratios. Hope that helps.

-- Chris

The Walbro impeller pump is an "industry standard" and similar in design to the factory pump. They are *slightly* louder than the factory pump - most customers can not tell the difference. Since a level of noise is subjective, it may be good to have a tech listen that is familiar with the NSX. If the noise is extraordinarily loud, the most common reason for this will be contamination in the pump. The new Aeromotive and Deatschwerks pumps are very good, and use a newer style turbine pump that is much quieter, perhaps quieter than the factory pump? They do have a MUCH higher current draw than the factory pump. If you do not upgrade the wiring, the performance of the pump will be less than the Walbro you have installed now. Also, because they have a very high flow rate, an upgraded fuel regulator may be required - since this will result in pressure at the rail being different than what you have now, verification on the dyno would be advised to observe fuel ratios. Hope that helps.

-- Chris

Thanks Chris!

Back