• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Alternator-Voltage Regulator-Compatability Years?

Hi all was wondering if anyone knows the difference in the alternators and voltage regulators for the different years.
Acura used Denso Alternators as far as I know.

I believe 1991 to 1994 has 110amp alternator and 1995+ uses 120amp correct me if I am wrong.
Can you use a 1995+ alternator on a 1991-1994?
is the plug the same, whats the difference?

Alternator part numbers acura:

1991 to 1994 #31100-PR7-A03 =110Amp?
1995 to 2005 #31100-PR7-J01 =120Amp?

Voltage regulator part numbers acura:

1991- #31150-PR7-E01 or 31150-PR7-J01 - 1991 listed both numbers?
1992-1994 #31150-PR7-E01 so can you use 31150-PR7-J01 for these cars too? whats the difference?
1995-2005 #31150-PR7-J01

whats the difference, 110A on a 31150-PR7-E01 ?
and 120A on a 31150-PR7-J01 ? or is there something I am missing here.

Can you interchange these from year to year?
same plug mounting holes etc..? anyone know?
If so wouldnt it just be better to replace any year with a 31150-PR7-J01 ?
as it has 10 more amps available output?

My alternator is a Cantrell concepts polished alternator from Science of speed I believe, they do not have AMP or Year ratings and list only one alternator on their website so therefore I am to believe they are all 120Amp and interchangeable ? Does anyone know what AMP ratings science of speed polished alternator is? or how to tell the AMP rating on a alternator?

So if I am replacing A regulator would I just go for a 1995+.
Even though the car is younger then 1995.
Any help on this is muchly appreciated.

Thanks
Maximumyield

Last edited:
There is not much reason to up grade the alternator, the larger unit was necessary when power steering was made standard. I would not put the 120 amp regulator in the 110 amp unit it will most likely burn out the windings.

There is not much reason to up grade the alternator, the larger unit was necessary when power steering was made standard. I would not put the 120 amp regulator in the 110 amp unit it will most likely burn out the windings.

Was told today the regulator does not matter on the amp output.
Its what the alternator puts out in the coil windings, the regulator only controls the right volt output so therefore should not burn out anything. As for upgrading I have many add ons big stereo, guages, turbo pumps, power inverter etc etc, for a stock NSX I agree, but a heavily modded one more amps = better in my eyes. Thanks for the input though.

Cheers

Was told today the regulator does not matter on the amp output.
Its what the alternator puts out in the coil windings, the regulator only controls the right volt output so therefore should not burn out anything.
Cheers

Would that be rotor or stator windings? The voltage regulator controls the power out put to maintain the required voltage. :smile:

Would that be rotor or stator windings? The voltage regulator controls the power out put to maintain the required voltage. :smile:

I believe the stator windings Brian.

Cant believe nobody knows much about the alternator in these cars.
Guess they are so reliable (Denso) brand that not many have had to worry about it.

Brent , I got a couple good alternators just sitting around , why you waste time trying to fix that junk...

Brent , I got a couple good alternators just sitting around , why you waste time trying to fix that junk...

Easy now LOL
Thanks Wil, Trev said the same thing he had a spare lying around after the S/C install.
I dont have a alternator problem no more its working perfect with new brushes,bearings and a (regulator) which is all that went on it.
I had it rebuilt simply because it was a week before westfest.
The only reason I never purchsed a new one is because it is chomed and matches the engine bay nicely. I just wanted to know the specs on them because of the amount of power I am running on the car.

Back