• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

am i alone??

The first 9 years of my NSXs existence, it averaged 4,000 miles a year. I thank the prior owners :)
The 6 years I've owned it, I've averaged 17,000 miles a year(300 miles a week or so).

I think it all depends on where you work/park. If I hard to park my car in downtown Richmond, I wouldn't own it.

I am always a bit puzzled when people say they "don't have the time to drive their nsx". I dont understand what that means. Are they not driving any cars ever and walk or take public transportation everywhere? Or is it more a fear/paranoia about driving to work or anyplace else you would take a daily driver. I guess I am in the minority who buys cars that I want to drive and then actually drive them. I have 144k on my nsx including 100+ track days and over 10,000 track miles. I have driven it to NSXPOs in wisconsin, Texas, Ohio, Canada and shipped it to California and Florida for other NSXPOs. I drive it to work, movies, malls, etc. I also have an AMG Mercedes that I love to drive and it has 233k on it now. If I wanted a work of art in my garage I would buy a painting. Although I acknowledge people do like to keep a garage queen with low mileage, to me that is a waste of money.

Just my .02. Your mileage may vary.....

For me the lack of time is directly correlated to having kids. I don't know if you have kids or not (maybe they are grown and out of the house) but I doubt that if you had small children you'd be doing the same amount of driving of your NSX (as stated by the OP). I'm jealous of the amount you drive your car. So this begs the question, why buy an NSX in the first place if your not going to drive it? For me it came down to the fact that I love the NSX and have always wanted one. Someday the kids will be grown up and doing their thing. If I did not buy the NSX when I did I think it might be difficult or cost prohibitive to buy a 14,000 mile 2001 NSX in the color that I want in the year 2030. I'm lucky to have a wife that tolerates my car "habit" and, even though we are not wealthy, allowed me to buy my dream car. So if you happen to be up in the northeast in 2030 maybe you'll see an old man driving a pristine 2001 NSX with a smile on his face. On a side note if, in 2030, you happen to see a 16-17 year old kid driving the above mentioned car shoot me a PM because it's one of my sons and he is not allowed ;)

thanks to all who have responded..to answer the questions posted in the various responses....i live in nassau county new york...the car was purchased in haverstraw ny(owner of paddock performance), i am a foot and ankle surgeon thus the reference of my patients making the painful walk from back parking lot to front door...hopefully they feel better when they leave...the limited posts since 2006 is due to the fact that i dont have much to say about the modifications and the inner workings of the car...so i just observe and read and learn..i have posted on the opinions and funny stories and have welcomed few people...i have purchased a few things from both vendors and members with great ease and success...hopefully they feel the same about me...i am not concerned about me when i drive the car...i am concerned about the other frustrated and irrational people around that would intentionally seek out a nicer car and do something stupid to it...trust me i am not the guy that takes up two spots right in front..i am the guy that guy that parks int he last row all by itself...my car is 93 gpw with black inside...mods are 05 oem rims, i have a paddock performance exhaust (came with car as the previous owner of car was the owner paddock performance who designed the exhaust....do not the details of exhaust and how much hp it adds, i like the sound( my wife has heard me go by while she was in post office"said that is my husband i bet", i recently had s4play(great guy) replace all interior less and i think i was one of the first to have him do a "5led" daytime running lights in the turn signal lenses( i sent him a brand new pair to modify and kept the originals which have BLODI protectors on them...i do have a 2005 radio and oem center console to put in this spring because the original radio and console have small blemish...i have the gruppy antenna not installed( still in fence)...and i have the bolster protectors for the seats that were purchased thru nsxprime (DONT REMEMEBR WHO)...with that being said again i will try and be more active both in the community and in the car....any bets or guesses on how many miles i will do this season...????again thanks to all and safe motoring....

For me the lack of time is directly correlated to having kids. I don't know if you have kids or not (maybe they are grown and out of the house) but I doubt that if you had small children you'd be doing the same amount of driving of your NSX (as stated by the OP).

Actually, my significant other has 3 kids (6, 12 and 14) and I still drive my NSX as much, if not more, than before. Although I need to take one of my other cars if the little guy is riding along, the two older girls use my NSX as "boy bait" as I call it; namely they each request that I pick them up from school dances, sporting events, parties at friends' homes, etc. in the NSX so they can get the attention of the boys at those functions. I don't take the kids to work with me so I still commute in it and still track it each season so that has not changed either. When there is no snow on the ground here in NY, I have 5 out of 7 days each week where I have to go to work and the kids are in school so to me I have no excuse not to drive it.

Actually, my significant other has 3 kids (6, 12 and 14) and I still drive my NSX as much, if not more, than before. Although I need to take one of my other cars if the little guy is riding along, the two older girls use my NSX as "boy bait" as I call it; namely they each request that I pick them up from school dances, sporting events, parties at friends' homes, etc. in the NSX so they can get the attention of the boys at those functions. I don't take the kids to work with me so I still commute in it and still track it each season so that has not changed either. When there is no snow on the ground here in NY, I have 5 out of 7 days each week where I have to go to work and the kids are in school so to me I have no excuse not to drive it.

That age spread is almost exactly what my three are going to be. Not to hijack the thread but how is the interaction between the kids with that age gap? I'm worried that my little guy is going to feel left out with his two older brothers not wanting him to be involved with anything they're doing. I hope when they are a bit older I'll be able to drive the NSX more.

That age spread is almost exactly what my three are going to be. Not to hijack the thread but how is the interaction between the kids with that age gap? I'm worried that my little guy is going to feel left out with his two older brothers not wanting him to be involved with anything they're doing. I hope when they are a bit older I'll be able to drive the NSX more.

So far it is working out well. The 12 year old will still play with him and even the 14 yr old makes time although she doesn't have as much considering she is in high school and actually has a job (I taught her to race go karts and now she works at the facility helping train junior drivers during schools and also as a track marshal during races). He likes to go to the karting facility to visit with his sister on weekends since they have an arcade and bowling so that helps as well. He does get a lot of individual attention now as well being the youngest since the older two have friends they can go out with and be on their own. He really wants to go for a drive in my "race car" but understands he is too young so he has fun just sitting in it in the driveway.

Maybe this video will help some of you fathers with younger children get into your cars more!

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZQCFgJalNo4" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

I don't have kids yet but would sincerely hope that when/if I do, the boy would enjoy cars as much as this little guy!

Last edited:
am i alone in how i treat my car..no rain, no debris,washed all the time and no mileage........just the fact that i know i have it and own it puts a smile on my face...just want to know anyone else like me (please let there be one)
No, you are hardly alone. In fact, from what I've seen, your scenario is more far common than frequently driven NSXs--although overall the NSX is more likely to serve as a daily driver than any other exotic due to its reliability and practicality (usable trunk, functional ergonomics, low maintenance costs).

i have three other cars to use that are more practical...(lexus gs350 awd, m3 hardtop conv. and old betsy pathfinder....all are white including nsx)..hopefully someone can relate?????
I'm in the opposite camp compared to you. Have multiple NSXs and one other car to use that is more practical (Accord). Can anyone relate???? :tongue::biggrin:

And now, from the perspective of a patient:
My dermatologist had an NSX and whenever I saw it I didn’t think he was trying to rub it in my face. I thought he was the coolest doctor in the world. Further, I thought he had excellent automotive taste, and I told him so.
(PS, when he sold his car after 17 years of ownership, I bought it:biggrin:; it had 49k miles.)

Last edited:
Doc, consider putting a turbo on your car. With 400rwhp, you won't be able to resist taking the car even on mundane tasks such as picking up a coffee and bagle.
As a side note, I slipped in my boat and had a nasty tarsometatarsal fracture dislocation(lisfranc injury) a few years back. Wow that sucked but it's back to
100% thanks to a great Surgeon.

"Keeping the miles off your Nsx is like not screwing your girlfriend so she is tight for the next guy"

Dont feel alone, i bought my car with in 2001 with 57,698 on the odometer and after the first 3 years It had 73k on it, then life started (built 2 new homes and had 3 boys). She now sits with 80k and less than 50 miles over the last 2 years. Do I still love the car and baby the $h!t out of it, OF COURSE. I am still adding parts to it each year. Like you mentioned about not driving to work, I am in retail and the car would sit in the parking lot for anyone to see/door ding/scratch you name it. Then on my days off I have 3 boys (ages 6-4-1) that are attached to my hip so of course the car isnt going anywhere. But as they get older I will get it out and enjoy more, but my ownership of 12 years equates outs to 1,800 miles per year during my ownership.

Last edited:
kookoo...my heart goes out to you and your lengthy recovery....that is a very frustrating injury to go thru..on both sides...patient and doctor to fix...glad you are doing well...i guess would have not happened if you were driving the car instead of being on the boat...lol..

nsx 24...i take it winters in utah can be rough...did you drive the car in the winter ...i have girls and think that your boys wold one day want to drive and enjoy the nsx more than my girls...they want to look pretty and have the hair flowing like mom in the m3 convertible than in nsx...

I bought mine 3 years ago and put more miles on it during the drive home than I have the entire time I've owned it.........

hey doc, glad to hear you are enjoying your LED DRL's :)

I just ran across your thread and thought I'd chime in, you are 110% not alone! I used to come on this site often but even that time is considered a luxury item with our crazy life schedules.

My 2004 GPW NSX was bought with barely 9k miles and now she has roughly 17k and it's been 5 years so I took delivery of the car! When I bought the car, I was single, living with a college buddy in a house we bought as an investment and had 5 cars / 2 motorcycles. (most of them performance cars) Back then I drove it whenever I wanted because there were no obligations besides work. I think I put 2000 miles per year taking it to car shows and drives, etc. Now I have two toddlers age 2 years and 8 month old. The past few years I can tell you I put less than 400 miles on her each year. Also my stable has decreased to no motorcycles due to safety factory per wife and we sold a few sports cars and now looking at a minivan :) As you noted not having a back seat and being a 2-seater really doesn't work for a father who needs to pickup the kid at daycare or just shuttle them around when wife is busy.

My wife and friends don't understand why we keep the car but I enjoy looking at it in my office just as much as I do driving it. We got married in this car and it's got some really special memories that I hold very dear so it's being kept in our family for now. I would like to get a yellow Stradale to sit next to the NSX one day so we'll see how that goes.

Hey I dont use my car much (less than 2k a year) but I am also in nassau county. PM me if you ever want me to take yours out for a little bit just to keep everything working right :)

I don't have kids, not because I don't want them, I am afraid I would be a terrible father.

I put on 3000 miles a yr. Most of that (2200) comes from trip to Atlanta and back. I only drive it about twice a week as well only on sunny days. Like RBilder said once the 1st snow fall hits the car gets tucked in and put to bed. But the lack of driving always builds up the anticipation. Makes each drive that much more enjoyable.

I drive around 1500 miles per year. I too love to clean and polish. That way when I do drive it, it is a very special event. rippin around in an immaculate clean and shiny NSX. About once a week. It is almost like driving it for the first time. I sit there and smile and really appreciate it. Love it. If I was to drive it every day, or a lot, it wouldnt be near as fun.

If I was to drive it every day, or a lot, it wouldnt be near as fun.

Are you insane? Why not just say, "If I had sex every day, it wouldn't be near as fun."

There's very few of us who get the chance to drive these wonderful machines every day...and you choose not to?

I feel I have an obligation to drive my car so other people can enjoy it too! Different ways of looking at things I guess.

sex every day= chaffing.....:redface:

probably right....but throw 2 young boys in the mix and .........you have a pretty strong interuptus :redface:

"Keeping the miles off your Nsx is like not screwing your girlfriend so she is tight for the next guy"

LOL.

I agree.

I just drive mine whenever I feel like it. I haven't driven it in the rain at all (yet) but that's only because I prefer for it to look nice and not to have a bunch of nastiness all over it from dirty roads. I'm sure that I'll take it out on a road trip this year and it will get rained on. It always seems to work that way when I take a long trip.

Honestly, I'd say if you feel like driving it, find a reason to get out of the house...take the kids for rides if they wanna come along. They'll understand they have to take turns riding along. If you don't want to take it out in the rain, no big deal. It's your car...enjoy it how you see fit. I'd screw the hell out of it like I do my significant other, though. ;)

Last edited:
I do about 2k per year, and yes, still try to keep it the way it was when it was New...ie not driving in the Rain, and keeping it under covers in my garage when not in use.

Bram

Back