• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Amazon/ The Golf Warehouse canceled order

I bought a set of TaylorMade R9 clubs. They were a steal at 112 (worth approx 600-800). I paid, received a confirmation, then the next day had my order canceled (along with hundreds of other people) without any explanation from either the Golf Warehouse or Amazon.

I will admit it was likely a mistake, but aren't business obligated to uphold there end if it was there mistake?

The sellers agreement from Amazon states the following:

8. Your Transactions

a. For sales where a Seller lists goods at a fixed price ("fixed price sales"), the Seller is obligated to sell the goods at the listed price to Buyers who meet the Seller's terms. By listing an item in a fixed price sale, you represent and warrant to prospective Buyers that you have the right and ability to sell, and that the listing is accurate, current, and complete and is not misleading or otherwise deceptive.

b. For fixed price sales, Seller will determine the purchase price for each item he or she lists on the Site via and subject to Amazon.com's standard functionality for listing the purchase price, provided that Seller must abide by the same procedures and guidelines contained in the Help section with respect to pricing.

9. Your Obligation. By entering into this Participation Agreement and posting a listing for fixed price sale, you agree to complete the transaction as described by this Participation Agreement. You acknowledge that by not fulfilling these obligations, your action or inaction may be legally actionable.

As I read it, I upheld my part. I contacted Amazon to complain and received what is likely a form response that says pricing mistakes happen, and any future correspondence should be directed to the Golf Warehouse.

Any thoughts are previous experience with similar situations. And as an FYI, I'm not super mad or up in arms over this, I just think accountability and customer service should matter. I would have been happy if they admitted the mistake and offered to sell them at cost so they don't lose money or maybe a future discount.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002ZAQUTI)

Last edited:
I don't believe the seller is obligated to sell and they always reserve the right to refund you your money. Say the seller was a retailer and only distributed product from a manufacturer. If the manufacturer ran out of supplies the retailer has no control of that. So if you enter a transaction with that retailer and he has no more supplies left (aka sold out), then all they are obligated to do is refund your money. It's not like, as a retailer, they can actually make more of the product, they are just a middle man.

I get what your saying, but its not a supply issue, as they are still selling the item in question, they just changed the price and canceled everyone's order. I get the reserve the right to refund money portion as well, but that does not coincide with amazons seller agreement.

"Seller is obligated to sell the goods at the listed price to Buyers who meet the Seller's terms"

I feel if this were a brick and mortar store they would have to honor the completed sale, but because its the internet, people/business feel they can do as they please.

I still believe (even in a physical store) it's still the seller's right to refuse to sell to anyone and it is your right not to shop at that establishment anymore. It's like a bar or a restaurant where the owner can change their price or refuse service to anyone they chose, as long as they don't take your money. In this case, because they didn't complete the transaction, they never took your money (like it was in escrow). Now if it was a bait and switch type scenario then I think you have a case, but that clearly wasn't a case of that.

As the disclaimer notes:

"Seller is obligated to sell the goods at the listed price to Buyers who meet the Seller's terms"

I'd be curious to see what the Seller's Terms were, but that's often a nebulous statement to give the Seller full rights and limited liability. I'm not a lawyer, but if I had to give my best guess at it, I don't think legally there much ground to stand on.

$112 for a set of R9's!!! It must be the same guy who is selling the 95 NSX for $7300 on autotrader:tongue:

seriously, you should have tried to order as many as you could at that price...
obvious mistake, but you might have gotten lucky...

As the disclaimer notes:

That's the key right there. If the sellers terms allow for order cancellation due to price errors or not honoring pricing errors, they've covered themselves. I'd be surprised if they didn't have that language in their terms.

I saw this deal posted and knew it wasn't going to happen. This falls into the category if it's too good to be true, then it probably is.

Besides, I like my Callaway X irons better. :biggrin:

Besides, I like my Callaway X irons better. :biggrin:

I'm with you on the Callaway's.
------------------------------------------------
The canceled order might be a blessing in disguise. Now, Hard Five, go out and get some Callaway X series irons. :biggrin:

I'm with you on the Callaway's.
------------------------------------------------
The canceled order might be a blessing in disguise. Now, Hard Five, go out and get some Callaway X series irons. :biggrin:

Heeeeyyyyyy, I love my TayorMades... :tongue:

I've taken advantage of these types of pricing errors before where the stores, brick and mortar and online, have honored the "mistake". I did not try to buy multiples for resale and the stores corrected their pricing after my sale.

I have also had instances where my order was cancelled or where I was told that they couldn't honor the pricing error. At brick and mortar stores more often than not the managers have been able to instead mark down the items to their cost rather than a loss which I have been satisfied with.

I don't think that any store is obligated to sell an item at a loss due to a typographical error.

P.S. I vote for Callaway over Taylor Made as well. Not to mention, I got my Callaway's for free! (as a prize for winning a tournament)

Last edited:
Heeeeyyyyyy, I love my TayorMades... :tongue:

Ok, I'll have to admit I'm not brand loyal by any means. I play Callaway irons, TM driver and woods w/ an Odyssey putter and Noodle balls; all in a Wilson bag. :redface: Over the years, they've just seemed to "work" for me. :biggrin:

Got a code for 20% of on a future order up to 1000. ehh. Oh well, I knew it was almost too good to be true...

I only ordered one set as I really just wanted a good deal. I did read some pissed off people who ordered 6+ sets threatening lawsuits. Good luck with that...

I've actually never played w/ TaylorMade irons before, but at $112, loyalty went out the window in a hurry.

F' Callaway!!! I just read in the paper today that they are moving the factory out of Carlsbad(san diego) and moving to Mexico and are going to outsource the distribution also.."to stay competitive"....They will still charge the same outrageous amount I'm sure...:rolleyes:

Boycott Callaway!!!!

This happens all the time if you read the deal discussion boards like Fatwallet.com and Slickdeals.net. In the early days, companies would either honor the price mistake or give the customer some kind of incentive. Nowadays, they all have disclaimers that let them cancel the order.

I remember once ordering 5 bigscreen TVs at bestbuy.com on an obvious price mistake at $500 each. They ended up giving me a gift certificate worth about $100. Now with Dell.com, their price mistakes they honored a photo printer at 60% off and some cameras at 50% off.

My most recent one was a 17" notebook at the Microsoft store about a month ago for about $500. I got a call from Microsoft that said they were out of stock and offered me some other choices, none of which were comparable. Finally, they offered me a discount code which even if used didn't make for a very good deal.

Was about to say, this does happen all the time if you follow slickdeals.net. Sometimes the first few guys actually get the deal but usually the company figures it out and cancels all orders.

BTW, DocL, are you getting my PMs? I stopped getting email notifications from Prime for some reason and didn't know if perhaps it's broken for everyone. I left you several over the past month.

F' Callaway!!! I just read in the paper today that they are moving the factory out of Carlsbad(san diego) and moving to Mexico and are going to outsource the distribution also.."to stay competitive"....They will still charge the same outrageous amount I'm sure...:rolleyes:

Boycott Callaway!!!!

Well in that case I'm glad I have a set of callaways i already like.

Back