• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

And you thought the beak was bad

I don't know if any of you have been following the reveals at NAIAS in Detroit this week but Acura rolled out what it called the 'Precision Concept' which is supposed to give hints of their future design language. It's arguably more edgy than some of their recent stuff but if you thought that the 'beak' on the new NSX was bad, check-out the size of the Acura badge they put on this thing. http://www.gizmag.com/acura-precision-concept-naias/41319/pictures#7
I haven't see anything that big and ugly since some of the early Lexus days. What are they thinking?

This is a design study, so I wouldn't be TOO critical. I just hope Acura does take some cues from this and like that they are thinking about making their cars a little more edgy and sporty.

At least it's not glowing!
attachment.php

Attachments

• 496160d1360965148-illuminated-star-my-ml-img_1399.jpg
    496160d1360965148-illuminated-star-my-ml-img_1399.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 1,771
I love the concept. Ya, the logo is Cadillac Escalade-big, but it's FAR superior to the beak, even in its attenuated form on my RLX. I am hoping that they use the concept in some way for the next RLX Sport hybrid. I'd be fully on board with that and, pending price, would buy one. I doubt the logo will be that big on a production product, you know Acura will disappoint us and dumb the design down.

I predict the next minor refresh of the NSX will include this new corporate grill. While the grill might look good on future sedans I'm really struggling to imagine it looking good on the NSX. Can someone with good Photoshop skills show us a preview of what this might look like?

I predict the next minor refresh of the NSX will include this new corporate grill. While the grill might look good on future sedans I'm really struggling to imagine it looking good on the NSX. Can someone with good Photoshop skills show us a preview of what this might look like?

Saying adios to the beak is quite refreshing. This grill concept is moving towards luxury as defined by various European high performance cars where with just one look at the front, the predominant design element is significant brand emblem swagger framed within massive grill of real estate. Not sure how I feel about that and was struggling and curious as well...

Before...
stark0.jpeg

After...
stark7.png

If that new grill ends up making it into future models...this looks rather progressive. Now looking at it and letting it settle in I feel like the current front is not only dated but not as luxurious. Consequently, since the Gen 2 NSX is a halo car, whatever their next generation line up ends up looking like, the front of this car really should be ushering in the new era of bold cutting-edge Honda/Acura design, defining how and what their brand will look like for the next half decade or more. Instead I feel like the current face ends up a caboose design on the tail-end of years of a struggling Acura lineup. Instead of being the exclamation point for the new generation lineup for putting them back on the map and making them fiercely competitive, the current design ends up reflecting a comma or a period to the end of a design-by-committee era :frown:.

Here's hoping that the front gets a refresh in a timely manner :smile: !

Last edited:
I think the Acura/Honda designers know the beak is not popular.
I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Acura/Honda designers are working steadily to come up with an evolved nose for the NSX and other new cars to follow in its path.

↑↑↑ Understand the '17 MDX will have the "A" caliper in the center of the grill...no beak.

↑↑↑ Understand the '17 MDX will have the "A" caliper in the center of the grill...no beak.

Where did you hear that from...I hope that is true. Everything I've seen on the upcoming MDX shows an evolved beak-gone-boomerang which is the same evolution of the beak on the new NSX? [LINK]

Concept.jpg
front.jpg

Hybrid.jpg

MDX.jpg

redesign.jpg

The front of the MDX concept looks like it's ready to accept the new grill design without any other changes required. Acura has often given their new stuff to the MDX first. For instance the MDX was the first to receive the new LED headlights. And I predict it will be the first to receive the new corporate grill design. This makes sense since the MDX is the brand's sales leader. Where I live the only Acuras you frequently see on the road are MDXs. If Acura wants to change people's opinion of the brand via a bold new design, then the MDX is the best model to use for that purpose. If the new design went on sedans and the NSX first few customers outside of car people would even notice.

Only point of reference to the grill design came from a large dealer in the PNW....so far everything shared w/me over the years NSX & otherwise has been pretty accurate.

Dealer principles have seen the MDX at dealer sales meetings.

The recent Acura "Precision Concept" (1/16 at the Detroit Show) echos this design direction.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1s9wVPuwgQ

Last edited:
It's still better then the beak....

I agree. But I really hope they do not somehow insist (like on the current face) that the new Acura Precision Concept grill must makes it's way onto the Gen 2 refresh to match the future line-up. It does not have to be this way to be successful and imo this branding approach of matching the face (which may have been a result of design-by-committee in the past for this model) has few examples of success for the kind of category Acura is in.

As a company, Acura has less in common with Ferrari, Lotus, McLaren, Porsche, Lamborghini and any other major supercar competitor and more in common with (don't flame me for this) Chevrolet, Dodge and Nissan. The aforementioned cars each have strong family resemblances from one model face to the next but they do not have the wide gamut of model offerings as the latter mentioned group. Acura/Honda shares more with the kind of line-up ranging from the Cavalier to the Colorado to the Corvette, offering economy class sedans, pickup trucks, and as a benchmark their Corvette did the Nurburgring in 7:19 (13th fastest All-Time). Dodge has the same gamut of offerings like the economy Dart, the Durango, etc. and their Viper doing the Nurburgring in 7:12 (7th fastest All-Time). And finally Nissan with their Versa, Sentra, Maxima, etc. and their GT-R tearing up the Nurburgring in 7:08 (5th fastest All-Time). Our NSX-R as a reminder did it in 7:56 and is ranked 97th All-Time.

The front of the GT-R does not share headlights with their Pathfinder (like the NSX does with the MDX), the front of the Viper looks nothing like the Dodge Dart (like the NSX shares w/the Honda Accord), and the Corvette bears no resemblance (of any front element) with Chevy's SS Sedan (like the NSX beak does with their ILX). As a quick reminder, the Gen 1 NSX did not share elements with the Legend, the Integra, or the Vigor. In contrast, the Gen 2 concept went from super cool headlights for ex. to lamps that match the entire lineup. There are exceptions to all of this of companies matching face treatments across their economy to supercar lineup like Toyota/Lexus. Whether you like the snowplow look or not they reported selling over 650,000 cars last year with double digit percentage gains in every one of their global markets. Is Acura trying to be like Lexus by having followed step in this regard last decade? Or are they really trying to be more like Audi who also does this from their A3 to S8 to Q5 to R8?

With the design team now becoming hopefully more autonomous w/their internal changes, in the years to come I hope they can now design a refresh w/out any design parameter constraints put upon them from any outside dept other than what they decide in-house as being the absolute killer best!

Last edited:
Back