• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Another "clutch pedal to the floor" problem

It happened during the first track day of this season. 15 min after the beginning of an afternoon session, my clutch pedal went to the floor when I tried to shift 2->3 in a straight line. Impossible to "disengage" the clutch.

I finished the lap in 2nd and back in the paddock checked :

Master Cylinder : no leak
Reservoir : still full, so no leak ?
Fluid : very brown but it was already at the beginning of the day and I had planed to bleed it after this event.

I waited for everything to cool down. I got a little bit firmer pedal but still not enough to disengage the clutch and shift.

My plan is to bleed the fluid and see what happens.

Is it possible that this weak pedal pressure is caused by a degraded fluid ?

Or can the master cylinder or the receiver be damaged without leaking ?

What else can cause this symptom ?

Ok I will check the slave cylinder ! In fact, when I press the pedal, it makes a noise like "clack-cluk"...

But how can I see that it is damaged ? Is it compatible with the fact there is no loss of fluid in the reservoir ?

I don't understand why the clutch system doesn't get bleeded while bleeding the brakes. None of the garages I know do it. It's a 5 minutes job and saves your expensive hydraulics from water in the system.

In your case it's high likely that you simply had a blown-by which might be caused of agged components.

It can also be the clutch (don't know where you get the noise from). Starting with the hydraulics is the cheaper way. :)

Check your floor and see if any fluid leaked onto the carpet.

Checked the whole system today. To resume :

- Almost no pedal pressure.
- Cannot disengage clutch (hence cannot shift or remain steady when I am into a gear... logical).
- Kling-Klong noise when pressing/depressing pedal
- Reservoir still full.
- No (visible) leak at the master cylinder.
- No (visible) leak at the slave cylinder (and the line).
- The clutch lever (at the slave cylinder) moves ~ 15 mm when pressing the pedal !!! Is it standard ?

Your diagnosis ? Something wrong in the clutch itself ?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Easy fix, Clutch Master cylinder on firewall, O-ring's wear-out, and
check valve bleeds back to reservoir. Dirty oil is o-ring wear(dot 3 oil)
P.S also check flex line from hard line to motor for leakage or soften.

Back