• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Another eBay Scam

good job. you know if eBay didn't allow private reputation for sellers, and forced sellers to mediate large purchases through an independent escrow service, fraud would be reduced significantly.

But eBay doesn't give a crap about that, only about making money. :(

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/internet/06/27/ebay.at.crossroads.ap/index.html

ebay has become another faceless corporation without regard for the individuals who made it successful.

Ray Rodriguez said:
Did you see the other 12 cars the seller are selling? All scams

good catch.

idiot scammer - listing a dozen vehicles and then stating "I HAVE TO SELL IT QUICK DUE TO SOME PROBLEMS AND I AM WILLING TO LET IT GO FOR $XXXX TO THE RIGHT BUYER. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR FINANCES IN PLACE BEFORE WANTING TO BUY IT"

And don't you love how eBay has no "report this auction" button anywhere on the auction?

Stupid eBay. I really hope Overstock and other auction sites cause eBay to lose major market share. If you don't take care of the customer, you deserve to fail, imho.

nsxtasy said:
I just reported it to eBay's security center...
how did you do this? I looked at help, and even eBay help has no obvious links to report fraud.

I cliked on security center, and then went through the hoola dance to get to report a fraud, and it then displayed some irrelevant info about quick help for something unrelated to scam.

Stupid eBay is really irritating me with its unwillingness to allow even buyers to report fraud. Hopefully some consumers will file a class action lawsuit against eBay in the future to make eBay financially liable for its indifference towards fraud.

That guy is is a bonehead, all the cars are priced so low. A supra turbo for 4500? An NSX for less then 10k. Hope no one gets caught in his crap.

Ray Rodriguez said:
Did you see the other 12 cars the seller are selling? All scams
Wow! No, I didn't.

NsXMas said:
And don't you love how eBay has no "report this auction" button anywhere on the auction?
I thought they used to have that. Dumb dumb dumb not to.

NsXMas said:
how did you do this? I looked at help, and even eBay help has no obvious links to report fraud.

I cliked on security center, and then went through the hoola dance to get to report a fraud, and it then displayed some irrelevant info about quick help for something unrelated to scam.
I agree that the process is very user-UNfriendly. They have no interest in following up on scams.

I clicked on Security Center, then went through the hula dance ;) by selecting, in order:

- Report another problem
- Report problems with other eBay members
- Fraud concerns for buyers
- Report a listing you think is fraudulent (you didn't bid)
- Continue

I entered the item number, clicked

- Send a copy to my e-mail address
- Send

So their automated process doesn't allow you to say anything about why you think the listing is fraudulent. :mad:

When I received a copy of the e-mail from them, I then replied to it with additional information (in this case, I included the link to the legitimate listing on NSXprime from which the photos were stolen).

This time, when I was stepping through the process to write this post, I sent them item numbers for another ten of the fraudulent listings (but I'm not going to bother following up with any additional information).

I think next time I'll just send an e-mail to the eBay Fraud e-mail address, [email protected].

My favorite part of these scams is the revised description. At the top of the listing, just below the picture will be a link "DESCRIPTION revised". This car miraculously went from an automatic Toyota Celica to a NSX :eek:

Banshee Wail said:
My favorite part of these scams is the revised description. At the top of the listing, just below the picture will be a link "DESCRIPTION revised". This car miraculously went from an automatic Toyota Celica to a NSX :eek:
I don't see this when I display the listing... :confused:

nsxtasy said:
I don't see this when I display the listing... :confused:

I tried to copy the fromat as best I can. See where in blue It has Descritption (revised). Go to the add and click on the revised and you see that the crook compromised another add, one for a celica.

Description (revised)

Item Specifics - Automobiles
Acura : NSX
THE EXOTIC CAR YOU DREAMED ABOUT AND NEVER OWNED

Miles: 46500 Doors: 2 doors
Transmission: Manual Interior: Black
Year: 1992
Warranty: No VIN Number: jh4na1155nt000647
Get the Vehicle History Report
Title: Clear Exterior: Red
Condition: Used Inspection: --
Engine: 6 CYLINDER 3.0 LITER

Standard Equipment:
CASSETTE POWER WINDOWS CRUISE CONTROL LEATHER
POWER DOOR LOCKS POWER STEERING ABS AM/FM RADIO
POWER SEAT DRIVER 6 CYLINDER 3.0 LITER

If that does not work follow this link Description revised

I was looking at the description change and got another laugh. The original seller wrote "96 TOYOTA CELICA VERRY CLEAN". The crook revised that sentence to read "THE EXOTIC CAR YOU DREAMED ABOUT AND NEVER OWNED". :biggrin:

Hmmm... I see that all the auctions by this scammer have been closed. The listings are still there (you can click on Completed Listings to see them). They look the way they would if the seller decided to pull the listing; they say that the item is no longer for sale. In the past, when eBay has found that a listing is fraudulent, they deleted the listing. I don't know whether they changed their policy so that they just closed the listing, or whether the seller would have closed it.

What's also interesting is that there are a bunch more listings by this seller that have also been closed. Yesterday, as Ray pointed out, there were 13 scam cars for sale. The seller has 38 listings that are closed with no bids. I don't know why this is; maybe he tried re-listing the items when eBay closed them... :confused:

blknsxnoc has a great idea to stop numbnuts from stealing ads from Prime. Check out his listing photos here. They have an exclusive Prime written across the pics.

Here is one of them
attachment.php

nsxtasy said:
Hmmm... I see that all the auctions by this scammer have been closed. The listings are still there (you can click on Completed Listings to see them). They look the way they would if the seller decided to pull the listing; they say that the item is no longer for sale. In the past, when eBay has found that a listing is fraudulent, they deleted the listing. I don't know whether they changed their policy so that they just closed the listing, or whether the seller would have closed it.
Now the listings have all been deleted. Good!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

The same schmuck who posted the ad for my car on eBay somehow managed
to change the ad I posted on Autotrader... of course, he could only change the
text of the ad, not the phone number or email address listed along with it.

So I got about 50 phone calls & 70 emails today from people wondering why I was selling an NSX for $4800!

I can't believe Autotrader doesn't have any more security, I could've sworn I had to enter a password when I listed it, but I guess not. Apparently all you need to change someone's listing is the VIN and their email address (email address isn't listed online, but buyers can choose to email you, and if you write back they've got your address). I guess that's the last time I'll list a car on there.

I did report it to them, but I didn't ask for a refund... maybe I should call them back. I was just so dumbfounded at their utter lack of any security for the listings, so the thought hadn't crossed my mind. If the car wasn't already sold I'd probably be a lot more annoyed by all this, but I wouldn't mind getting my $40 or whatever I paid for the ad back so it's probably worth a shot.

nsxtasy said:
If I were you, I would report it to Autotrader and demand a refund.

Back