• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Another O2 Sensor Question

Hi Guys need help here. I just ordered from SoS, the NGK/NTK Oxygen Sensors as they are (according to the 'searches on prime' that I have found) plug n play to the OEM Sensors.

However, my mechanic told me that the sensors are not the same as the OEM one and he refused to install them as he feared that black smoke will come out of the exhaust (it is apparent that he had installed this part on other NSX).

With all the info on prime (instructions on installation from prime search) I plan on installing this part myself. But before I do, I need prime members' expertise on this. Could it really be true that JDM NSXs has a different O2 Sensors than US Spec NSXs? Or the European Spec NSXs for that matter? (I did a search on these possible differences - nothing came up).

Thanks

I have a US spec '91 that I recently replace both O2 sensors using the aftermarket vendor you quoted. No problems with the install or performance of the parts

Well, on one hand, if your car needed different (than US spec) O2 sensors, then you'd need a different ECU also. Are the ECU's the same?

And, on the same hand, O2s are very simple in what they do. And, all fuel injected cars that I know have them which means most all cars have them. I'm thinking that they are the same, based on they are simple and what would the advantage to Honda be making two different O2 sensors for the same engine, car, etc?

(O2s just report "too high" or "too low" by sending a signal to the ECU. Nothing fancy. Why would JDM cars have a need for a different set of signals?)

Replacing O2 sensors can be a problem as the old sensors are often stuck in the manifolds and not easy to get out. Get the right tool and prepare to have a challenge.

When replacing my manifolds with headers recently, one O2 came out fine and the other was stuck. I hope yours come out easily.

Well, on one hand, if your car needed different (than US spec) O2 sensors, then you'd need a different ECU also. Are the ECU's the same?

And, on the same hand, O2s are very simple in what they do. And, all fuel injected cars that I know have them which means most all cars have them. I'm thinking that they are the same, based on they are simple and what would the advantage to Honda be making two different O2 sensors for the same engine, car, etc?

(O2s just report "too high" or "too low" by sending a signal to the ECU. Nothing fancy. Why would JDM cars have a need for a different set of signals?)

Replacing O2 sensors can be a problem as the old sensors are often stuck in the manifolds and not easy to get out. Get the right tool and prepare to have a challenge.

When replacing my manifolds with headers recently, one O2 came out fine and the other was stuck. I hope yours come out easily.

Thanks for the assurance. Will get on it this weekend. I wonder why my mechanic hesitated to install the sensors. Hmmmmm...

Finally changed the oxygen sensors.(well, another mechanic does it). No more CEL light. But the mechanic told me that he does not pull the clock fuse. The CEL light just disappear after the O2 sensors installation.

However, I'm curious whether the CEL light will go off without having to pull the clock fuse out first. Is that possible?

Yeah, sure. The O2 sensor sends signalts to the ECU. One for "too rich", one for "too lean" and probably another one or two for "power on but no exhaust" or "heating up" or something like that.

If the signal received is none of the acceptable ones, then the ECU tells you that the singals are "wrong" by the CEL. You then replace the part and the new part then sends the right signals.

The pulling of the fuse is to force the ECU to re-learn all the mappings. This is often done after a change in the performance of the engine. But, if you just did maintenance, then your previous mappings should be very close to the ones you'll end up with with the new sensor so it won't help much if any.

The ECU is always learning and fine-tuning. The pulling of the fuse just makes it happen faster... but not "better". It would end up the same in the long run anyway.

Thanks for all the views. The engine is running fine once again . :smile: I will now have to check the 'clunking' noise in my engine. They say its the 'valve lifter' but it is not listed as a part in the NSX. Maybe it goes by some other name.

Back