• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Another Road to Vegas

Leaving early tomorrow (Saturday) for the first leg of my odyssey to Vegas. First night will be near Richmond, Indiana, about 580 miles from Delaware. Really looking forward to this trip and to the NSXPO! Hope the weather cooperates.

The weather here is great, and should stay that way throughout NSXPO. :biggrin: Have a safe and enjoyable trip to Nevada; we look forward to meeting you!

Regards,

Tom Gaylor

The weather here is great, and should stay that way throughout NSXPO. :biggrin: Have a safe and enjoyable trip to Nevada; we look forward to meeting you!

Regards,

Tom Gaylor

Thanks!!! :smile:

Gene looking forward to seeing your NSX as it will be 1st black '02+ that I've had pleasure of viewing.

Watch out for deer - I-70 through midwest. And what can I say about I-70 through CO west of Denver to its western genesis at I-15? Just stunning as Southern Utah is unreal, wild, and beautiful. Safe travel and see you Thursday!

Leaving early tomorrow (Saturday) for the first leg of my odyssey to Vegas. First night will be near Richmond, Indiana, about 580 miles from Delaware. Really looking forward to this trip and to the NSXPO! Hope the weather cooperates.

Wish I were traveling with you Gene as originally planned. Have a great drive and be safe. Lots of pics please. :smile::smile:

Gene,
I will be leaving on Sunday PM. Are you going through Denver and then meeting the group in Cedar City?
Tim

To all of the above:

Made it to my first night stop that really turned out to be 610 miles. I must have seen over two dozen deer by the side of the road that had been hit, plus one black bear in Western PA. I will be keeping a sharp look-out for the deer as I continue my journey. My Valentine 1 has performed flawlessly, saving my a$$ a couple of times! Rich, sorry you couldn't make this trip, but I'm sure Japan will more than make up for it!

As Kyras (Patty) suggested to me, I am planning to go from Pueblo to Montrose to Durango to Cortez in Colorado, as long as the passes are clear. From there, I plan to go down into New Mexico and then across on I-40 to rt. 93 to Vegas. HOWEVER, there is snow in them-thar-mountains, so that may change! If so, I will just go down I-25 to I-40 from Pueblo, and then continue in to Vegas.

Looking forward to meeting everyone :smile:.

Day 2 update:

1,274 total miles since I left home. Now in Topeka, Kansas. I have noted that the deer slaughter on I-70 has continued through Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, and the 60 or so miles I've traveled in Kansas. No more bears, though.:smile:

Today seemed exceedingly long due to all the truck traffic on I-70, plus I passed through Kansas City just as the Chief's game was letting out.:mad:

On to Pueblo, Colorado tomorrow. Oh, no pics so far. All I've seen are miles and miles of miles and miles. :smile: And I have millions of bugs on the front of the NSX. Glad I have a clear bra!

Day 2 update:

1,274 total miles since I left home. Now in Topeka, Kansas. I have noted that the deer slaughter on I-70 has continued through Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, and the 60 or so miles I've traveled in Kansas. No more bears, though.:smile:

Today seemed exceedingly long due to all the truck traffic on I-70, plus I passed through Kansas City just as the Chief's game was letting out.:mad:

On to Pueblo, Colorado tomorrow. Oh, no pics so far. All I've seen are miles and miles of miles and miles. :smile: And I have millions of bugs on the front of the NSX. Glad I have a clear bra!

Thanks for the update. KC? You're making good time. My schedule on I-40 would have had us partying in Memphis tonight with a long way to go. Keep the updates coming and the camera clicking. :biggrin::biggrin:

I am now approx. 1/2 the way to Vegas. Hope I can drive over the passes in Colorado on Tuesday. There should be some great photo ops there. Maybe some pics tomorrow as well. I will probably take I-40 on the return trip, as I plan to stop in NC to visit my son, grand-son, and daughter-in-law who live in Greensboro.

Thanks for the update. KC? You're making good time. My schedule on I-40 would have had us partying in Memphis tonight with a long way to go. Keep the updates coming and the camera clicking. :biggrin::biggrin:

Gene, I just looked at the Denver forecast. It looks good for Tuesday travel. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you get to drive the Million Dollar Highway (Ouray, Silverton, Durango) or at least take I-70 west of Denver and see Glenwood Canyon. Be safe, my friend, above all.

Gene, I just looked at the Denver forecast. It looks good for Tuesday travel. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you get to drive the Million Dollar Highway (Ouray, Silverton, Durango) or at least take I-70 west of Denver and see Glenwood Canyon. Be safe, my friend, above all.

:frown:Doesn't look so good for either of those routes. The Million Dollar Highway, according to the CO DOT website, says chains are required. I am too far south to go up to I-70, which has packed snow and icy spots. Looks like it's the New Mexico, Plan B, option. I tried....:rolleyes:

I have a travel update in the next post.

:frown:Doesn't look so good for either of those routes. The Million Dollar Highway, according to the CO DOT website, says chains are required. I am too far south to go up to I-70, which has packed snow and icy spots. Looks like it's the New Mexico, Plan B, option. I tried....:rolleyes:

I have a travel update in the next post.

Hey, New Mexico is pretty, too. Not as great as Colorado or Utah, but it's interesting.

Day 3 update: I am now in Pueblo, Colorado, approximately 1,800 miles into the trip (I forgot to check the exact mileage before I parked the car) Today was pretty good. I-70 was super, with very few trucks, and I just kept the cruise control at 80. The Valentine One only beeped once, and I was able to spot the Kansas State Trooper in time. :smile:

At Oakley, Kansas, I got off the Interstate and took US Rt. 40, a two-lane road with a 65 MPH speed limit. Very, very few cars, so I was able to cruise along comfortably. I passed several large windmill arrays on I-70, but the pics I took were no good, so I can't post any of them. However, I was at an intersection on Rt. 40 when one of the huge blades being carried on an over-length tractor-trailer turned in front of me. I had no idea they were this long:
DSC_0338.jpg

A typical view on Rt. 40:
DSC_0339.jpg

Finally, got to Colorado:
DSC_0341.jpg

Stopped at an historical marker:
DSC_0345.jpg

DSC_0344.jpg

Just another view of the Great Plains:
DSC_0346.jpg

Met this coal train on the road. It was just creeping along with the load.
DSC_0348.jpg

It even had a pusher engine on the rear to help!
DSC_0351.jpg

The entire trip on Rt. 40 and Colorado Rt. 96 was under a severe cross-wind, I would estimate at 30 to 40 MPH. The consequence of the strong wind from the right, was hundreds of tumble-weeds blowing across the road in my path. I was able to avoid most of them, but even so, my grill was covered with tumble-weed pieces when I got to Pueblo. :frown:

Looks like the weather tomorrow will force me to go to Plan B, as I noted in the post to Kyras.

Update tomorrow as I will probably be in Gallup, New Mexico.

Last edited:
^^^Thanks, Patty, Butch & Tom. Looking forward to NSXPO as well!

Thanks for the pics Gene. I hope the weather holds out for you. The car looks great. Have you had some interesting fuel stops?

"Damn, I wish I was making the run with you!"

Godspeed! :smile:

Wow that's just what my car need a nice long road trip, good luck and b safe

If you're planning I-70 across Colorado might want to reconsider.

The Denver crew has just changed our plan, I-70 through the mountains is looking very dicey so we're heading south to Albuquerque tonight then on to Vegas tomorrow. Here's the best source of road conditions in the mountains on I-70: http://www.cotrip.org/speed.htm?zoomPresetId=2

I talked to Gene last night and he was heading down I-25 to I-40, and on to Gallup, NM for tonight. I see there's Las Vegas in NM. Hope he doesn't stop there. :smile:

I talked to Gene last night and he was heading down I-25 to I-40, and on to Gallup, NM for tonight. I see there's Las Vegas in NM. Hope he doesn't stop there. :smile:

Colorado is so beautiful but NM isn't bad either. I-40 is the way to go this time of year. Remember guys ............... there are a bunch of cars meeting in Kingman, AZ at 3pm on Wednesday for the drive up to the dam.

Meet is at McDonalds at junction of Andy Divine and I-40. Check with nsxter (Don) to see if that time is still correct.

Colorado is so beautiful but NM isn't bad either. I-40 is the way to go this time of year. Remember guys ............... there are a bunch of cars meeting in Kingman, AZ at 3pm on Wednesday for the drive up to the dam.

Meet is at McDonalds at junction of Andy Divine and I-40. Check with nsxter (Don) to see if that time is still correct.

Oh, yeah? I was thinking about going to the dam Wednesday, on my way or after checking into the hotel. I'll be in a caravan from So Cal. I'll have to look at a map and see about the best way to do it. Do you guys have a ballpark time you expect to be to the dam?

Back