• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Another sweet looking corvette!

I don't know about the rest of you, but I love the rarity of the NSX and the confusion it causes so many folks, even some sincere car lovers. It's part of the fun of owning and driving this car. :tongue:

Do they actually consider the F40 as a production car? Didn't it already have buyers before it was produced? Thus making it more of a "mail-order bride" type of production...lol...

Dam

According to Wikipedia :rolleyes: the F40 is considered a production car...

but I always thought there was a difference between the "specialty" cars like the F40, Enzo and Koenigsegg and "mass-produced cars". Wasn't the Buick GNX the fastest mass produced car in the late 80s? And then it was the ZR-1.

but I always thought there was a difference between the "specialty" cars like the F40, Enzo and Koenigsegg and "mass-produced cars". Wasn't the Buick GNX the fastest mass produced car in the late 80s? And then it was the ZR-1.

WOW,:eek: it took 11 years for someone to break the F1's top speed! :eek:
Still love that car not matter what! Now if we can only shove the motor or something like that in OUR car...hehehehehe!:biggrin:

WOW,:eek: it took 11 years for someone to break the F1's top speed! :eek:
Still love that car not matter what! Now if we can only shove the motor or something like that in OUR car...hehehehehe!:biggrin:

Yes, the F1 was some car. Maybe the most ahead-of-its time car ever. The XJ220 was just a big boat of a car. The F1 was and arguably still is the closest thing to an F1 car for the street.

I cannot imagine how much that one-off BWM V-12 costs to replace.:eek:

Funny...that Wiki page doesn't show the XJ220 as holding the record between the Ruf and the F40 but I found it on the page for the XJ220:

The Jaguar XJ220 was a supercar produced by Ford's Jaguar luxury marque in collaboration with Tom Walkinshaw Racing between 1992 and 1994. It held the record for the highest top speed of a production car (217 mph) until the arrival of the McLaren F1 in 1994.

The Koenigsegg is a great car also...too bad it only held the record for a few months! At least it got in the books. :smile:

i went to an acura dealership to look at a S2000 and the sales person walked out and asked me if it's a real NSX.. i said no! it's a MR2 with a body kit and he said no wonder you want a S2000. lol :tongue:

We all know its not the fastest production car ever produced. I have heard from people that say they read about it being the fastest production car produced at a given period of time (1991?)... is there any truth to this?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the 91 NSX had the "Highest Horsepower per LITER Engine of any Production Automobile that Year" I have also been told that it retained that status until the Honda produced the S2000.

Brad

Funny wikipedia chooses to acknowledge a modified Porsche in the top speed log, rather than the Diablo. I remember a year or two after the F40 did 201, the Diablo did 202 mph to edge it. Also, I remember a Vector W8 doing 218 mph, and the Bugatti B140 doing some crazy speed, too, none of which is mentioned. They just jump right to the McLaren F1 :(

Funny wikipedia chooses to acknowledge a modified Porsche in the top speed log, rather than the Diablo. I remember a year or two after the F40 did 201, the Diablo did 202 mph to edge it. Also, I remember a Vector W8 doing 218 mph, and the Bugatti B140 doing some crazy speed, too, none of which is mentioned. They just jump right to the McLaren F1 :(

This is from the F40 page, also not acknowledging any Diablo record:

From its introduction in 1987 until 1989, it [F40] held the record as the world's fastest production car, with a top speed of 201 mph; the record was broken by the RUF CTR "Yellowbird", owing to the RUF's 211 mile-per-hour top speed - although the F40 could still outrun it to sixty.

I personally am not aware of the Diablo ever having held any top speed records. The F40's record-breaking speed was 201 mph and the Diablo's top speed was "listed" at 202...possibly a marketing strategy creating the illusion of being able to go faster than the fastest speed?

The Ruf isn't a production car by any means...if they're including that then I'm not sure what the criteria is. :rolleyes: Vector is certainly not a production car but Bugatti is...I'm certain I never heard the Vector mentioned seriously as a contender and the only Bugatti capable of such speeds at that time would have been the EB110 and the top speed listed for that car was 209 mph. It would have been immediately inferior to the Ruf and/or the XJ220. It debuted in Sep 1991 but wouldn't have been available for testing until at least 1992.

The XJ220 did eclipse the Ruf in 1992 by 6 mph.

Well then, so much for my memory! :wink: Hey, I was a pre-teen around that time, and read the major car mags cover to cover each month.:D

Back