• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anti-Lock Brakes: Modular Assembly: What to do/HELP

I have a 91 NSX (29,000 miles) and the 'anti-lock brake' (ABS) light goes on my dash. Apparently, I need a new Modular Assembly $4000 along with a Rubber comp seal, Filter assembly spool and pkg head cover (additional $100). I am told the "ABS motor sounds lazy...ABS modulator not holding pressure"

What are my best options (i.e. can you buy a used ABS modulator, or can they be repaired to be able to hold the pressure.

Any input is helpful and appreciated

SOS price is stil up there plug the harness your gonna need and shipping is 2765.75 so you save about 1200 bucks to do the upgrade. but.......

then labor to put it in prob equals the dealer price for the orginal. no real money saving only getting the upgraded ABS for the same price from the dealer.

goodluck, I wouls try the rebuild seals that warrenw's sells after he gets enough people to sign up then you get you new seals till then you got no abs.

you can unplug it and no more noise. but then you have no abs if you ever need it.

Thanks Steve K. I found his thread and put an order in.
Don

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Shawn110975. I found the thread and put in an order.
Best,
DOn

Meanwhile try this.

Using a turkey baster empty the ABS reservoir. NOT THE REGULAR BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER RESERVOIR!!! Then fill with freshly opened brake fluid. Drive and work the brakes. Repeat several times. With luck you will flush out enough crap that the ABS will start working again. Repeat a few MORE times, engaging the ABS on sand, gravel, or a wet slick street. Each time you will find some funky stuff in the reservoir when you empty it, but it will get cleaner as you repeat the process. Finally...read the Wiki on this topic. It will explain how to exercise your ABS system regularly to avoid the problem.

I cured my ABS with this technique and it has remained functional for the two years since. But I do have a rebuild kit from warrenw because some day I will probably need it.

I cleaned and disassembled the unit then manually activated the solenoids while forcing new fluid threw them. They were stuck when I started but I got them all working. A fun project and only took a few hours. There still working fine. No Parts were needed.The individual solenoids have a 3/8 stub and I connected a hose to this and applied light pressure while applying power to the solenoid to flush.
Rod

Back