• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Any Cardiologist here?

After a week in ICU at Florida Hospital I was diagnosed with a Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm that measures 4.5cm. The doctor said it is located at the arch of my Aorta and that they cant operate on it until it grows to 5.5 and that basicly now I have to live a very restricted lifestlye. No lifting over 20lbs, NO sodium and now I have to take blood pressure meds, triglycerides meds and Zanex to keep me from getting stressed out.

I am fit 36 year old male that works out very hard ( heavy weights, power lifting, etc.) and I spend a long time in the gym and have done so for 20+ years. The doctor told me to quit working out for good and that is a little hard to swallow. He said if you want to do cardio thats ok but to never lift a dumbell over 20lbs or I could make the Aneurysum burst and possibly kill me. Does this sound a little extreme, I guess I cant work or pick up my kids anymore either.:frown:

Thank you for any input.

Todd

Not a doctor of any kind, but my father had a similar thing last year (abdominal aortic I think). Monitored it for 6 months until it was big enough to require a stent be put in (5.5cm as well). I think he was under the exact same instructions. It's precautionary. If it burts your chances of surviving are slim. If you get a stent, what would be your limitations? I don't think my father has any hard restrictions now, but he does have to go in periodically to make sure the stent doesn't slip.

I am glad to hear your father is ok. I've heard that if you get one get the abdominal, it is easier to fix with a stent and is a much safer operation. I beleive his was pretty noninvasive where mine they cut your chest open and replace a section with a graft. But for now it seems like a ticking time bomb.

Yeah.... if that bursts anywhere BUT the hospital, and even there, go ahead and start looking for the shiny light! Those rules aren't just "cover my ass so I don't get sued" rules, they're there to keep you ... you know... alive!

I'd follow them!

Not sure what the restrictions are AFTER the graft though... Maybe the doc who diagnosed you could tell you? Good luck!! :)

gain insight...

I *believe* a cardio-thoracic & vascular surgeon can offer more insight into the case, whereas a cardiologist may offer insight into management.

I echo the sentiments of those above: take it easy for the time being, educate care yourself regarding the case, and be pro-active towards getting it sorted out soon as well as soliciting second opinions if warranted.

Last edited:
After a week in ICU at Florida Hospital I was diagnosed with a Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm that measures 4.5cm. The doctor said it is located at the arch of my Aorta and that they cant operate on it until it grows to 5.5 and that basicly now I have to live a very restricted lifestlye. No lifting over 20lbs, NO sodium and now I have to take blood pressure meds, triglycerides meds and Zanex to keep me from getting stressed out.

Wow... you're lucky it got picked up at all. Usually the first sign is when it ruptures. What sort of symptoms were you having? The survival rate for an abdominal aneurysm once it ruptures is something like 40%... I believe an aortic arch is probably quite a bit less.... I would take the advice of your cardiac doc very seriously. I'm pretty sure this is what took out my Grandfather (who I never met) when he was about 50.

What's the story behind this? Does this sort of thing run in the family? You're obviously in good shape and young...

Hang in there... sounds silly to have to hope it "grows" so they can operate....

Thanks guys for the replies. I went in to the hospital for very moderate chest and neck pain and they found this on the CT scan. The even crazier part of this story is that my workout partner who was 29 died 2 months ago from the same thing. They missed his aneurysm when he went into the ER complaining of severe throat and neck pain. The same ER staff took extra precaution with me or I just got lucky. I have no family history of anything like this. The only thing I can thing of is that I have been under alot of stress recently and my blood presure has been elevated.

I think you need to have a long talk with your doctors.If you are asking these very important questions on prime you need the answers from those who have examined you taken your history and have seen all your imaging studies.If I were you I would be asking my docs if I have Marfans syndrome,any abnormalities of my aortic valve,and chronic hypertension.

Hey Todd,

I'm so sorry and shocked to hear this. :frown: This isn't something typically caused by stress. It's probably a congenital defect in the aorta wall or, as docjohn said, from a longer term condition you didn't know you had like Marfan's, early hardening of the artery, hypertension (can be from stress), etc. As I'm sure you've been told already, this is something you need to watch very closely and frequently. My best friend, here in O-Town, works very closely with many of the cardio-thoracic surgeons if you want a recommendation of who's the very best to see. Let me know of anything I can do to help you guys.

well ive been in cardiology for 10 yrs now (cardiac invasive-noninvasive tech)....... and i can pretty much tell u that 80% it stems from a family history.....hypertension (high blood pressure) can also be the cause.....i also remember a cardiologist telling a patient once that heavy lifting can also be the cause

Thanks guys for the replies. I went in to the hospital for very moderate chest and neck pain and they found this on the CT scan. The even crazier part of this story is that my workout partner who was 29 died 2 months ago from the same thing. They missed his aneurysm when he went into the ER complaining of severe throat and neck pain. The same ER staff took extra precaution with me or I just got lucky. I have no family history of anything like this. The only thing I can thing of is that I have been under alot of stress recently and my blood presure has been elevated.

The chances that the two of you would both have the same condition at such a young age are so small I'd have to start looking to an external source. (especially since you said it does not run in your family)

Were you guys using steroids?

Hang in there, get well. You'll get fixed up just fine. Early detection is the key... sounds like you've already won the lotto.

I'm just a med student. But really, talk to your care provider for better information. Like others said, congenital things like Marfan's can predipose... so can atherosclerosis (fatty streaks, which can eventually evolve to atherosclerotic plagues can be found in people in their teens... atherosclerosis is probably the most common cause of aortic aneurysm), hypertension, and many others (syphilis even). Don't mess around. Take what your doctor/care provider said seriously.

EDIT: were you prescribed beta blockers also? think they help with both blood pressure and the peak force your heart beats at...

Last edited:
Deffinatly follow the weight instructions. When I was 17 I was working out daily(both cardio and weights) and was diagnosed with needing a pacemaker and aortic heart valve replacement. Ever since I have been restricted to not lifting more than 50lbs. I was told that the stress of lifting more can pop the valve out. When they give these instructions they are not playing "just being safe". I agree that you should talk to your doctor about your concerns. Mine were very good and went over all of my questions with me. Good luck. Hopefully everything works out good for you.

Thanks to all for the good advice. I have many follow up appointments already scheduled and they told me they would be able to spend more time with me in their office, so next week I should have more details.
In regards to the "performance enhancing" drugs I can only speak for myself and that consisted of Protein supplements only and natural energy drinks like Zip-Fizz which is just B-12. We just trained very heavy and on a regular basis. I will keep everyone updated, and thanks again.

Todd

P.S- the best therapy so far was being able to drive the NSX today to the beach. :smile:

I am fit 36 year old male that works out very hard ( heavy weights, power lifting, etc.) and I spend a long time in the gym and have done so for 20+ years. The doctor told me to quit working out for good and that is a little hard to swallow. He said if you want to do cardio thats ok but to never lift a dumbell over 20lbs or I could make the Aneurysum burst and possibly kill me. Does this sound a little extreme, I guess I cant work or pick up my kids anymore either.:frown:

Thank you for any input.

Todd

A little extreme, and yes, I am a cardiologist. Couple of words of advice, STAY AWAY from the Xanax. To quote a patient of mine who had a drug addiction problem, "Xanax makes you feel so good so fast that I know that it is bad for me." Probably one of the most addictive anxiolytics currently available. Shouldn't do any power lifting but limiting to 20 lbs would essentially make it so you can't even change a car tire. Just use some common sense. Of note, it is also important to determine how they made the measurements, docjohn can comment on radiologic imaging but if they used transesophageal echo, it can definitely measure incorrectly. Lastly, the specifics of size are dependent upon the mechanism of enlargement, ie Marfans or any other connective tissue process which also includes a bicuspid aortic valve has earlier intervention than hypertensive aneurysms. PM me if you have any specific questions.
Tim

A little extreme, and yes, I am a cardiologist. Couple of words of advice, STAY AWAY from the Xanax. To quote a patient of mine who had a drug addiction problem, "Xanax makes you feel so good so fast that I know that it is bad for me." Probably one of the most addictive anxiolytics currently available. Shouldn't do any power lifting but limiting to 20 lbs would essentially make it so you can't even change a car tire. Just use some common sense. Of note, it is also important to determine how they made the measurements, docjohn can comment on radiologic imaging but if they used transesophageal echo, it can definitely measure incorrectly. Lastly, the specifics of size are dependent upon the mechanism of enlargement, ie Marfans or any other connective tissue process which also includes a bicuspid aortic valve has earlier intervention than hypertensive aneurysms. PM me if you have any specific questions.
Tim

The american express of drugs?

Okay from my Pharmacology class last quarter:

Non-pharmacological methods of reducing blood pressure:
1.Weight reduction-60% hypertension patients are overweight
2.DASH ( Diet Approach to Stop Hypertension) diet low in saturated fats, high in fruits and vegetables (April 1997 NEJM)
3.Cessation of smoking- Nicotine causes vasoconstriction
4.Reducing caffeine- Caffeine is a vasoconstrictor
5.reducing alcohol
6.aerobic exercise
7.Na restriction

Medications which can increase blood pressure:
1.Birth control pills
2.Antihistamines (allergy medications)
3.Corticosteroids
4.tricyclic antidepressants

First line drugs for reducing blood pressure:
1.Diuretics
2.beta-1 blockers
3.ACE inhibitors
4.Ca channel blockers

Facts about Xanax:
It is a sedative
Falls under the Benzodiazepines family
Benzodiazepines work by potentiating the effects of naturally occurring GABA (Gamma aminobutyric acid) but the effect is limited by the level of naturally occurring GABA, so there is less likelihood of severe respiratory depression than there is with the barbiturates.
Benzodiazepines are used in the treatment of anxiety, insomnia, delirium tremens during alcohol withdrawal, status epilepticus and for producing amnesia for surgical procedures.

Adverse effects:
1. Psychological dependence- appears to be higher for drugs with shorter half lives. Halcion and Xanax especially have a tendency to cause an American Express Card syndrome.
2. Amnesia
3. Sudden withdrawal from large doses may induce paranoia, delirium, or anxiety attacks.

Long term use of benzodiazepi
nes in most situations is contra-indicated in the medical literature, but it is common in practice.

Alprazolam (Xanax)
#9 most commonly prescribed drug in the US in 2005
It is used to treat anxiety and panic attacks. It is very habit forming
!

Most medications will have nasty adverse effects. For stress related problems you already have an alternative for xanax. Why dont you just drive the NSX more often. The way I see it, the fewer medications you have to take the less you have to worry about the adverse effects.

Last edited:
well ive been in cardiology for 10 yrs now (cardiac invasive-noninvasive tech)....... and i can pretty much tell u that 80% it stems from a family history.....hypertension (high blood pressure) can also be the cause.....i also remember a cardiologist telling a patient once that heavy lifting can also be the cause

Ditto on heavy lifting being a contributing factor. The human body can only take so much. Having to give-up something you enjoy like weight lifting is tough. Be glad your condition was caught in time to allow you to adjust your life style and activities to whatever degree necessary.

After 15 years of on-and-off again hip pain, it finally blew-up into siatica. I never felt so much pain. Having that ailment traced to a slight herniated disk, I too must watch how much I lift and what I do. Better that than a wheel chair. Take care and focus on what you can do safely.

Ditto on heavy lifting being a contributing factor. The human body can only take so much. Having to give-up something you enjoy like weight lifting is tough. Be glad your condition was caught in time to allow you to adjust your life style and activities to whatever degree necessary.

After 15 years of on-and-off again hip pain, it finally blew-up into siatica. I never felt so much pain. Having that ailment traced to a slight herniated disk, I too must watch how much I lift and what I do. Better that than a wheel chair. Take care and focus on what you can do safely.

Heavy lifting will cause muscle growth. More muscle you will need more oxygen supply. More aterioles and venules mean the heart will have to work harder to get more blood supply to the newer/more portion of the body. Greater contraction will increase blood pressure and cause the aneurysm to burst. The same rule must apply for overweight patients too. Just an educated guess.

Guys you are starting to teeter into fantasy land.I see folks with 4.5 cm Ascending aortas quite frequently,,,not a death sentance,not a piece of tissue paper waiting to explode ect.The key is to use a reliable method of measurement like CT or MRI , and follow up .OP keep us informed as to F/U.

Last edited:
Heavy lifting will cause muscle growth. More muscle you will need more oxygen supply. More aterioles and venules mean the heart will have to work harder to get more blood supply to the newer/more portion of the body. Greater contraction will increase blood pressure and cause the aneurysm to burst. The same rule must apply for overweight patients too. Just an educated guess.

Are you a Doctor? I am guessing no reading this statement.

Back