• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Any daily drivers?

Driving to work today I passed by a jag xkr and a Ferrari 430. It got me wondering if there's anyone in the Chicago area drive their nsx in any weather. I would love to slap some winter rubber on and just say f* it. There's not enough summer in chicago.

I've met dozens of owners in the area, and I have yet to meet someone who relies on the NSX for everyday driving year round.

If you want to put winter tires on it and drive it in winter, by all means do so. Just keep in mind that with winter rubber, you can drive it in light snow... but if the snow is more than a few inches deep, you may run into problems, due to its low ground clearance (even at stock ride height). Not just on open roads, but also anywhere you may need to drive over mounds of snow, such as those left over at driveway entrances after snow plows go through. It's easy enough to scrape (or rip off) that front chin spoiler in warmer times of the year, and this increases the chances of that happening.

Perhaps not year round. How about wet weather or non snowy conditions? My 92 nsx is not a low mileage car (94k+) yet i still haven't put more than 1500 miles on it since i bought it in 2011 and it just sits...and sits. Until the weather is immaculate and the barometric pressure and the moon is aligned correctly. I guess I'm saying I'm hating myself for not driving it out more for fear of damaging paint further, door dings, and God forbid an accident. I'm just not brave enough.

I'm sure there are others like me but when i see other exotics being taken in the rain and getting groceries, I think to myself "i wish i have a nice car i can take out like that".

First world problem at its finest.

Last edited:
How about wet weather or non snowy conditions?
Again - take it out if you want. It's not going to melt (or rust). Also, keep in mind that you'll want winter tires only if you're doing significant driving on ice or snow, or in below-freezing temperatures. If you are only using it in winter on the occasional warmer day (such terms being relative here in Chicago :) ), or only going around the block to warm it up, or using it in rain the rest of the year, you can get by with summer tires.

Back