• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Any of you drive your child..........

who requires a car seat in the passenger side with the airbag on? I know newer 2-seat cars and trucks have a airbag disable. I plan on buying a older 94 NSX and have a 10 month-old. I was wondering if a 94 would have a air bag disable or a fuse I could pull. I have another vehicle I usually use to transport her, however there might be times I have to take her with the NSX. Is this a non-issue, or should I be concerned?

Thanks,

Sam

Buy a '91 - they have no airbag in the passenger seat (some '92s may also?). The problem with kids and airbags is that they move around a lot - especially leaning forward. Too close to the airbag when it goes off and your in big trouble. Most shops will not disable airbags due to legal and liability issues. I narrowed my search down to Corvettes that are 2002 or newer and '91 NSXs. The newer Corvettes have a nice airbag disable switch starting in year 2002. After driving a Corvette and an NSX it was easy - NSX!

mc-ca said:
Buy a '91 - they have no airbag in the passenger seat (some '92s may also?). The problem with kids and airbags is that they move around a lot - especially leaning forward. Too close to the airbag when it goes off and your in big trouble. Most shops will not disable airbags due to legal and liability issues. I narrowed my search down to Corvettes that are 2002 or newer and '91 NSXs. The newer Corvettes have a nice airbag disable switch starting in year 2002. After driving a Corvette and an NSX it was easy - NSX!

My wife and I saw a C6 a couple of days ago. I just need to know if there is a simple fuse/fuses I could pull.

Sam

If I'm not mistaken, I think the dealer is required to install a passenger side airbag disable switch if you tell them you are using the car to transport a child. I'm usure of the fees (if any) invloved. I'll see if I can verify that. I remember this coming up with the 94+ MR2s a while back.

In Canada you have to send a letter to transport canada for approval to have a switch installed. after you get approval you then get the switch kit from the manufacturer. and yes there is a charge for both parts and labour. I'm sure it is the same type of procedure in th U.S.A. contact your dealer or American Honda.

Well, I did some digging, and it looks like the procedure in the States is similar to Canada. You'll have to contact the NHTSA (www.nhtsa.gov) and send in a form to get authorization to deactivate the airbag. There is a FAQ on the NHTSA site that pretty much answers all of the questions on who is eligible and how to go about it. The FAQ can be found here: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/portal/sit...0VgnVCM1000002c567798RCRD&viewType=standard#1 and they also had an airbag On/Off switch installer locator here: http://www.safercars.gov/airbags/switch_install/Index.cfm. All 2 seater cars/trucks automatically qualify, so it's really just a procedural thing. I'd just use the installer locator link and start there becaues I'm sure they will have the forms you need. I'm curious to know about the cost, so post it up if you find out anything.

After calling around to a few dealers, I'm quickly finding out that this will not be as easy as I thought. :redface: I called Acura customer service (800-382-2238) and every dealer in the Atlanta area, all of which were no help.

On a side note, I really dislike airbags. The NMA had a nice view point on the matter. http://www.motorists.org/issues/airbags/NHTSA_Denies_AB_Comments.html

1993 was the first year of the passenger airbag in the NSX, IIRC.

While I am no expert on the subject and do not offer this as anything other than speculation, the design of the NSX cockpit and the placement of the passenger airbag relative to the passenger seat cause me far less concern than in other cars. I don't think the direction or force of the NSX passenger airbag is comparable to the average passenger car as a result of the different angle and distance for the airbag to travel to make contact with a passenger.

ICBW. YMMV.

Honda psgr airbags are good for the fact that they blow upward. Yes, this means a new windshield in any deployment, but the forces on passengers are a lot lower.

I agree with much of the above. If you must transport your child in the front seat, I would either get a non-airbag car or outright remove the airbag. *Should* wont cut it if you have a daughter who gets smacked by the bag, you may even be liable.

I wouldnt risk it, nor would I default to what an owners manual suggests is *probably* ok.

If there will be times where you need to transport a child, an M3 is the car for you. IMO.

Neither of my kids have ever, or will ever, even sit in my NSX. Its absolutely not worth it, even if it means you need to own a different car.

Back