• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Any serious karters in the house?

Ive got a '98?? CRG 125cc shifter kart I believe. Bought it like 6 years ago used and never even started it :(
reeeeeeeeeeeally want to take it to a track and have some fun someday, maybe buy a new one and join a league/group too :)

enduro sounds fun to me :)
how long do the races normally last?

enduro sounds fun to me :)
how long do the races normally last?

Not too sure but it seem slike they run the type of kart where you are almost lying down and they run it at a real road course which I feel is too big for karts.

I'm glad to see pro-con arguments for shifter vs tag. I was leaning more toward TAG because honestly I don't think I could handle shifting in addition to everything else that's going on which happens so fast :p

I have been running a topkart with hpv100 engine, which by the way are bullit proof and fast. I ended up selling it and now have a CRG 125cc TAG lepard. This is fast and nice since it is a electric start. no need for anyone to start you up or push start you. I am now selling it, if anyone is interested, pm me. I have pics.

I own a TaG (Rotax) and a shifter (spec Honda). They are both awesome. My suggestion would be to go direct-drive (100cc) or Tag (125cc) to learn how to drive a kart. Jumping straight to a shifter is not advisable because there is such a large learning curve. Learning to drive a kart fast can be accomplished much easier when you only have to concentrate on driving. TaG karts are not that much slower than a shifter.

TaG: throttle/brake/turn/throttle/brake/turn/throttle
Shifter: throttle/brake/down-shift/turn/throttle/up-shift/up-shift/brake/down-shift/turn/throttle/up-shift
There is a lot more involved with a shifter as you can see. Not saying the TaG kart is easy to drive it's just a lot easier than a shifter.

FWIW - Learn how to drive a kart in a TaG, then get a shifter.

I have these available... lots of extra stuff like tires, wheels, stands, starters, race suites, gas cans..... a ton of stuff!!

80cc Cadet Kart: Emmick Chassis w/Comer 80cc engine $1,200 (over $3,500 invested)
100cc Sprint Kart: Emmick Chassis w/ Yamaha 100cc engine: $1,200 (over $4,500 invested)
125cc Shifter Kart: Tony Chassis w/ Honda CR125cc engine: $4,600 (over $10,000 invested)

The 80cc is for kids between 8 and 11(ish) depending on size. The 100cc and 125cc shifter are for big kids :smile: (adult sized)

All the karts are in great shape. All the engines were professionally prepared and maintained.

IM if interested and I will send pics.

I started when I was 10 in the 50cc 4cycle class, then moved up to 100cc yamaha restricted, then unrestricted. Then went to 125cc shifters, stuntman has a good point; if you want to get into karting I would also recommend NOT starting with a 125cc shifter. Get a 100cc and you will be more focused on how the kart drives and handles and with some practice, your lap times will drop. Once you are consistent and fast I would recommend getting a 125 shifter.

However, if you jump right into a 125cc shifter you will have fun but will be "sloppy" from the fact that you constantly make turns and shift and brake ALOT! If you know someone that has one, drive it and you will see what I mean.

If you have a fomula Y class, (direct drive KT 100) you really learn braking and corners.Thats what I ran and it was the best teacher of all for me. Direct drive karts are non forgiving.Your probably sorry you asked

I started when I was 10 in the 50cc 4cycle class, then moved up to 100cc yamaha restricted, then unrestricted. Then went to 125cc shifters, stuntman has a good point; if you want to get into karting I would also recommend NOT starting with a 125cc shifter. Get a 100cc and you will be more focused on how the kart drives and handles and with some practice, your lap times will drop. Once you are consistent and fast I would recommend getting a 125 shifter.

However, if you jump right into a 125cc shifter you will have fun but will be "sloppy" from the fact that you constantly make turns and shift and brake ALOT! If you know someone that has one, drive it and you will see what I mean.
Wow, someone who actually has the background to make a worthwhile post (rather than 90% of all posts where comments are based on speculation and what they've read, and NOT THEIR EXPERIENCES).

Thanks for adding worthwhile feedback to this post XRC.

If you have a fomula Y class, (direct drive KT 100) you really learn braking and corners.Thats what I ran and it was the best teacher of all for me. Direct drive karts are non forgiving.Your probably sorry you asked
Where did you run Formula Y?

I like direct drive a lot better, but would recommend shifters over Formula Y due to their PITA starting process and since you can't stop for any reason, their somewhat unforgiving nature. You need to be better than a shifterkart driver to drive direct-drive karts. I do miss Formula Y tho...

I ran in Idaho we may not have a 2 mile race track but we do have karts.And a direct drive is the way to learn.Like I said you cant mess up.Or you are done.

Last edited:
I ran in Idaho we may not have a 2 mile race track but we do have karts.And a direct drive is the way to learn.Like I said you cant mess up.Or you are done.
I wouldn't agree that Direct Drive is the best way to learn, especially those who are just starting out and are not 100% committed financially or time-wise.

The KT100 option is great for starters (from my experience so far). They're cheap, low maintenance, simple to operate (focus on driving, not overwhelmed with crazy power / shifting) and forgiving.

We keep our clutches set to catch at a very low rpm, so there is about zero wear on them (cheap!), but it still disengages when you inevitably spin it out. Safer that way, and the kart doesn't stall so no need to go aaaaalll the way back to the pit for the starter :)

If you want to compete, the class is one of the largest (at least around here) so there are people of all skill level to run against.

Like others have stated, if you want to get fast its the better way to start. Its all about corner speed / line and breaking. No big power to help cover up the screw ups :)

Back