• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anybody have an Alpine CHA-S630 Changer?

Anybody have an Alpine CHM-S630 Changer?

Am thinking about upgrading to this Alpine CD-Changer, which is one version below the (in)famous CHA-S634 CD/CD-R/MP3 changer that many of you have installed. It doesn't read MP3's, but that is fine with me.

Did a search on the FAQ and it doesn't seem like a lot of you have installed it (or maybe you have, but just haven't commented on it). Any thoughts on installation, performance or any other aspect of the CD changer. Any comparisions to the CHA-S624 model would also be highly appreciated.

I will be buying the M-Bus version (the "CHM" version, not the "CHA" version), so I recognize I won't need the Ai-Net to M-bus cable, although I will need the ACUALP adapter, given that it is a non-OEM Alpine changer.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated. Hopefully we can also update the FAQ with the information that is gleaned here.

Regards.

Last edited:
Re: Anybody have an Alpine CHM-S630 Changer?

NSXaholic said:
Am thinking about upgrading to this Alpine CD-Changer, which is one version below the (in)famous CHA-S634 CD/CD-R/MP3 changer that many of you have installed. It doesn't read MP3's, but that is fine with me.

Did a search on the FAQ and it doesn't seem like a lot of you have installed it (or maybe you have, but just haven't commented on it). Any thoughts on installation, performance or any other aspect of the CD changer. Any comparisions to the CHA-S624 model would also be highly appreciated.

I will be buying the M-Bus version (the "CHM" version, not the "CHA" version), so I recognize I won't need the Ai-Net to M-bus cable, although I will need the ACUALP adapter, given that it is a non-OEM Alpine changer.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated. Hopefully we can also update the FAQ with the information that is gleaned here.

Regards.

I bought the CHA-S630 right before the S634 came out and kicked myself, because it would be great to be able to listen to CD MP3s, but other than its lack of being able to play mp3s its great. The only problem I ran into was that during a road trip to Florida I had it covered by all my luggage and I think it started to get too hot, because it started to skip. I popped the truck and pulled out the cartridge to clean the CD and the CD was HOT, not warm, but so hot I almost couldn't touch it. Once I played the radio awhile and let it cool down some, it was fine again. I have never had the problem repeat. If you don't need the mp3 capability then I think its great, but like you said you will need to buy the ACUALP or the HONALP cable.

Good Luck

Re: Re: Anybody have an Alpine CHM-S630 Changer?

hendu said:
The only problem I ran into was that during a road trip to Florida I had it covered by all my luggage and I think it started to get too hot

I thought the CD player should be mounted in the top of the trunk, where it wouldn't get covered by luggage. :confused:

Some more info

Here's a recent thread where I asked some similiar questions and got some great answers: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16178

I followed this EXACTLY and it worked great!
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/DIY/Alpine-S634.pdf

I found the 630 all over the internet but decided to go to a local Circuit City where it was 229 for the changer and 29.99 for the adapter. Crutchfield has the adapter for 19.99 and I found the changer as cheap as 159.00 online. I negotiated pretty hard with the CC sales guy and got him to drop the combined total 25.00.

Dave

Re: Some more info

SoCal-NSX said:
...I found the changer as cheap as 159.00 online...

Like Dave, I have found the S630 for $159 at the Wholesale Matrix, which is a substantial discount to the suggested retail price ($229), and even to most other "discounted" prices I have seen online and in stores. I ordered a new unit from them on Monday. Although the site doesn't look very professional, they've got a strong track record on eBay for audio sales. Additionally, I was provided with an automatic update email informing me that the item was shipped via Airborne Express, which is a nice touch, and was given a tracking number. Very professional thus far.

Just wanted to post in case others were interested. They've got the S634 listed for $224.

Regards.

You can swap pins in the connector rather than buy an adaptor cable

I installed a CHM-S601 after my OEM Acura changer died. Its been fine. (this was ~4-5 years ago, too).

Anyways, you can save a few bucks by prying open the connector and swapping around two pins. The Honda/Acura changers swap the polarity on the right channel (IIRC).

I think there's a FAQ about that somewhere handy....

--Ed

Back