• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anybody here ever TASTEFULLY MOD a Civic?

Boys, I’ve always done things backwards. Usually you mod out a Civic and later get an NSX. I’ve got an NSX but I’m starting to eyeball my bone-stock 1993 Civic hatchback as a potential tuner project.
It was the first car I ever bought new and I still have it after all these years, though now it’s old and ailing. Called it the Jellybean because of its shape. I put 230K miles on it and somewhere along the line I got too fond of it to let it go. Like a faithful dog, Hondas seem to have a way to your heart.
For awhile, I was on the verge of cutting it loose. But then I picked up a copy of Honda Tuning mag, which reminded me that this is one of THE cars to rice out.
So now the basic idea is:
I don’t need 700 HP, but 250-300 would make it pretty spicy and yet retain some reliability. I heard that the bolt holes on a Prelude engine match up perfectly, you can pretty much just drop it right in. Anybody heard about this?
New wheels.
Total exterior re-do to new condition.
Interior is in good shape, but might go with leather and upgraded sound system.
I’m getting old, so there’s no need for any fart cans or neon lights underneath. Just a bit more luxuriant inside, shinier outside and a stronger engine. It won’t see the track; it’ll still be the DD, getting me there faster and in a bit more comfort.
Anybody here already been there, done that? Know of some good forums to lurk? This is the only forum I frequent and I’ve come to trust my NSX friends. I like to collect info for a long time before doing anything and could use an information quick-start. Thanks!

Last edited:
Re: Anybody here ever rice out a Civic?

The term rice is kind of derogatory and it kind of refers to a car that is gawdy and outragiously modded out. A tastefully modded civic can get respect and props and stay clear of those terms.

Re: Anybody here ever rice out a Civic?

Sounds like a plan.

Yeah, this has already been done. You need to PM Edo here on nsxprime whom bought my 96' DX hatch.

I'd reccomend stripping it, D16Y7 bottom end, FI, Autopower bolt-in roll cage, Momo seat, mono-balls, Tein Type Basics with some new springs, Skunk2 front adjustable arms and rear camber kit, Avon Tech R's, Wilwood calipers, A pillar pod with mis-matched auto meter gauges, eBay strut brace, etc...

But sure, then definitely don't forget to "rice it out" too. Neon washer nozzles, Altezza tail lights, gaudy triple deck rear wing, fire breathing dragon decals on the side, etc...

Just bring the mad driving skills once you get past tech.

Then you can make everyone else look pretty ridiculous in the respectable tuner cars like the S4's, NSXes, etc... when you not only lap them but totally devestate their course times. :wink:

Right you are, Acura NsX Pilot. Duly noted and changes made.
John @ Microsoft. Man, that sounds hardcore. I'll have to look at the old girl again and try to envision her belching fire.

http://www.honda-tech.com/ is a pretty good source of info for this. They have a hybrid section if you're wanting to do a swap. A B series engine will swap alot easier than the H from the Prelude due partly to issues with the cable trans.

I've seen several people swap B18C1's or B18C5's in, swap to an Integra GSR brake system and put a good suspension on it. Very nice sleeper car that doesn't draw alot of attention. Just make sure to watch it. As soon as you're discovered there will be thieves all over your car.

Would you consider this tasteful? ;)

l_3eb66dbff5ae0cc2d6f4a748fa314a8d.jpg

1306016284_l.jpg

l_a0cf329527aadbfe275f2827c4ea0cf9.jpg

l_1aeb550ae35235b481c35724c8b0a061.jpg

l_4dc92b477f681fa2f49c04e09ff32f4f.jpg

l_8a5f5eaa4d247ae68c1006f754a616c8.jpg

Kidding haha... thats our Honda Challenge H1 car. You should do what you feel is right... A car is an extension of the owner's personality... although I don't personally enjoy "riced" out cars myself, to each their own.

As for doing a motor swap, things have changed drastically in the last decade. I've been racing, building and tuning honda's for almost a decade and back when I started, you were the shizznit if you just had a simple B-swap. Now a days, you can do H22 swaps, K-series swaps just as easily as a B-swap. (relatively speaking of course). Companies like HA Sport makes super easy mount kits for whatever motor you want to throw in there. They also have axles for each application. Hytech, R Crew, DC sports etc all make headers for whatever engine combination you toss in there too. Wiring harnesses are avaivable now to make it all plug and play.

You can even mate up B-series gearboxes to H22's now with the new H2B kits.

Basically, sky's the limit. Depends how 'different' you want to be and how much you want to spend. The most basic and simplest swap into a 92-00 civic is the B-series engine. Mildly built, you can easily make 180-190whp and 135ft/lb. B18C1 are down to arond $3k and C5's are $4500ish.

If you want to do a K20... you're looking at around $8-10k to get the swap down with all the bits and peices you need. Prices vary depending on an R swap or A2 Type-S.

JDM H22's with the B-series gearbox has been deemed as the "k-killer"... you can makethe same power as a stock K20A2/R for around half the price... around $4k and far more gearbox upgrades are avaible - cheaper too.

Again, sky's the limit... i can go on forever on this topic... if you have any more questions, just ask or PM me.

Hope that helps.

Thanks guys, you've given me a good start. Time to dig in and get educated. The idea is a perfectly normal-looking exterior with a little something extra under the hood. It seems perfectly do-able.

Can't wait to see the end result. Just picked up a '08 Civic Si sedan for a daily driver....lot's of fun :smile:

Good luck with your project.

Your hatch is the last light weight honda in many people's opinions. The hatch up until 98 was light as well, I also owned a 96 dx.

Sounds like you just need new paint, to renovate the interior, redo the suspension, and put in an H22a or K20/24 with appropriate transmission and you will be good to go.

It may be easier to just gut the interior and put in new seats from an RSX-S, s2k, etc. It's actually pretty difficult to make those older honda's interiors look good without spending a lot of $$ or gutting the worn parts in my experience.

I'd just get a newer USDM drivetrain if possible if it's going to be a daily driver. The K series is a superior plat form but stock for stock the H22a is just as good for half the cost.

C-speed: Finally got away from the net nanny at work so I can see the car. That’s a bit more gnarly than my project, of course, but I like it a lot. It shows what can be done.
Simons2k: Saw a red Si at the dealer just last week and it was perfect. Would have loved to have bought it but now’s not the time. Besides, for a new one of those, I start to think, hmm, could get another, used NSX ….
Sahtt: Thanks for the info, will follow up on it. You are right about the light weight. One of the places they saved Lb’s was in the body panels. Very thin, very easy to dent. A few years ago the neighbor’s dog chased a cat under the car. It must have been a pit bull or similar, because it bit the fenders and to this day I can show you where the teeth went almost all the way through the sheet metal.
The car doubles as a squeak toy.

There was an employee Car Show here at work and there was this car...

Whether it is tasteful or not, you be the judge.

Attachments

• DSC02929.jpg
    DSC02929.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC02931.jpg
    DSC02931.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC02932.jpg
    DSC02932.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC02934.jpg
    DSC02934.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC02935.jpg
    DSC02935.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 47
This one belongs to a friend of mine:
17.jpg

A lot of my friends own EG's and look hawt if you just lower with rims and maybe a wings west lip kit, but check out honda-tech as suggested for pictures, advice, tech talk,etc. There are a bunch of picture threads in the appearance section for inspiration :p

I can totally relate to growing fond of a car and not wanting to sell. I have a 95 Integra GSR that I feel the same way about.

I'm in the same boat as you w/ my 98 GS-R. I now drive it about 1K miles/yr (though in 2007, it only went out for about 500 miles) and I really should sell it, but I just can't bring myself to do it. Maybe I should mod it some more? :biggrin:

Last edited:
Back