• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anybody in New York (or Cali) Running AEM EMS?

I just realized that AEM EMS doesn't support OBD2. Therefore, use of this stand alone will likely result in emissions test failure, or so I think.

Does this make sense or can EMS be confidently used in New York? Has anybody else run into this problem? I would assume California should have the same issue as emission standards are probably stricter there.

EDIT: Can you also comment on AEM F/IC--does that work in NYS?

Last edited:
I THINK anything you do to ecu will fail if "and in this case it does" mess with ecu and obd systems. Sos does make a stand alone, its 2k though. Either way ill say in this stingy state of ca only stock will work. Fic or ems, it wont pass visual to begin with. Someone correct me if im wrong. Or maybe the fic will work since ur stock ecu will still talk like normal to a scanner. I will say im sure ems wont pass. Bro s2k with ems wouldnt pass, nsx wont either. Fic may but any shop will see a turbo, supercharger if its comptec you may get away with.

After a quick Google search, it seems like EMS is NOT compatible with NYS inspection. Read plenty of sites on how people revert to stock ECU for testing.

However, it seems like F/IC should work as the OBD2 connection remains intact. Anybody have personal experience or knowledge on this?

Here in NJ we do it the old fashioned way and slip the shop owner $150....lol. But the friendly shops are becomingfew and far between these days.

You can pass the sniffer with the F/IC but not with the EMS in California. However, if the inspector sees either of these units, you will fail the visual inspection.

I have been running the F/IC for about 4 years now with no smog issues at all...:wink:

-Steve

You can pass the sniffer with the F/IC but not with the EMS in California. However, if the inspector sees either of these units, you will fail the visual inspection.

I have been running the F/IC for about 4 years now with no smog issues at all...:wink:

-Steve

You can pass the sniffer with either, but when they go to check your obd2 port for 1995/1996 and newer it will fail because AEM doesn't read for obd2.

You can pass the sniffer with either, but when they go to check your obd2 port for 1995/1996 and newer it will fail because AEM doesn't read for obd2.

When using the F/IC, the obd2 port still works just fine and the smog tech can plug into it just as he would normally. When using a EMS, the obd2 port becomes inactive and you will fail the smog inspection.

-Steve

I just realized that AEM EMS doesn't support OBD2. Therefore, use of this stand alone will likely result in emissions test failure, or so I think.

Does this make sense or can EMS be confidently used in New York? Has anybody else run into this problem? I would assume California should have the same issue as emission standards are probably stricter there.

EDIT: Can you also comment on AEM F/IC--does that work in NYS?

I have quite a few customers in NY but in the city. I will find out what they do and post back.

Back