• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone completely remove dashboard?

Currently trying to remove the dashboard...I would like to get any tips or pointers from those that have ventured down this path...NSX parts tend to break easily after 15 years. Things I should look out for or avoid would be absolutely helpful. I'm using the shop manual for technical reference, but could use a little real world reference here. Where are the mounting points and best ways to reach them?

I'm upgrading my interior and want to bring my dashboard assembly to the upholstry shop. I prefer to do the removal of the dash myself.

Thanks in advance...AngelCity

Very strait forward. The hardest part is removing all the other stuff (under dash trim parts, center trim, radio etc.) The dash is held on by 2 bolts on each side under the vent trim panels, 1 bolt (ground point) under the radio and 4 screws (2 on each side) on the side of the rear most section. If you take your time it comes out very easy.

I did this a couple of weekends ago. It's not too difficult. A couple of words of advice:

1) it's much easier with the seats out. I suffered through a dash swap without taking them out and, man, it was painful. There are a couple of screws along the center consol which are a bear to put in with the seats in the way. So take the extra time and remove the seats.
2) The service manual does not mention anything about taking out the a-pillar garnish (or the seats for that matter). That's not a problem when taking the dash out, but it's much easier to put it back with at least one of the two garnishes out.
3) make sure you have a short philips screwdriver. This is important with the instrument panel removal step. I guess you get around this by lowering the steering column first, but that's not the way the manual says to do it.
4) make sure someone else is available to help you lift/position the steering column when you're putting it back, otherwise it's a struggle.
5) Tape/cover/protect your e-brake handle. The dash may scrape it.
6) Keep everything organized. I made little piles of parts throughout my garage.
7) Make sure the door panels line up with the dash when it's all back together. There is a little play and some adjustment might lead to a cleaner look.

That's all I can think of. When I did this, I also changed out that damned cracked defroster panel. The whole job took about 3 hours.

Good luck.
Uecker

When unscrewing things, slide one of those screwdriver magnets on your screwdriver and leave it on. Gives a stronger magnetic field so the screws don’t drop off the end of the screwdriver into oblivion.
Also try to use electric or air tools to dismantle, saves a lot of wrist twisting.

Back