Anyone had your Intake "Extrude Honed"?

Is there anyone that has any experience with Extrude Honing? I received a quote to Extrude Hone my NSX intake. Here is what they had to say:
"Brad,
Hello, The cost to process to your intake is $755. The turn around time is app. 2 weeks. The airflow increases are app. 15%. Thanks, Rick"

That seems a little STEEP to me, am I wrong? Can a guy do ALMOST as good with a little time doing it by hand with a few air tools?

Brad

Extrude Hone's prices are ridiculous, IMO, and their process/technology is quite dated.

As to the performance, the only reasons I would ever use EH are the area I'm trying to modify is tough to reach (think of a very long runner in some intake manifold designs) or unable to be cut open and then re-welded (turbo housing). Otherwise, 99% of real performance shops would rather cut the intake open, port it as desired, then weld it back together. In addition, another knock against EH is that they can't "focus" (send extra abrasive medium) on problems areas. For example, on the old Ford 5.0 EFI intakes the #5 runner was typically 35% off from the others with respect to airflow. EH might have improved the airflow across the board, but the #5 was still way off vs. the other 7.

I have ported a few intake manifolds myself, and "a little time" the project is NOT. It's tedious, monotonous work, but it's also very rewarding when you're able to take out, say, a casting ridge or change the characteristics of certain transition.

Is there a particular area in our intakes that I could work on and then just smooth out the other areas? Is smoothing out all of the casting marks, i.e. the rough texture of the interior of the intake, a benefit?

Do you have an intake that has been damaged or is otherwise non functional that I could use for setting up a different injector before experimenting with my operational intake?
Thanks,
Brad

Last edited:
Is there a particular area in our intakes that I could work on and then just smooth out the other areas? Is smoothing out all of the casting marks, i.e. the rough texture of the interior of the intake, a benefit?

I'm not an expert by any means, but when I've gone in to port/clean up each runner will have a casting ridge that runs down the middle, both on the bottom and top side of the runner. Sometimes they've been accompanied by what I call casting "zits" - little bubbles.

Everything I've done, I've done with the mindset of "if I'm the airflow, what kind of path would I want to travel through?"

Do you have an intake that has been damaged or is otherwise non functional that I could use for setting up a different injector before experimenting with my operational intake?
Thanks,
Brad

I don't. Try posting in the "Wanted" section. There should be quite a few intake manifolds available due to the # of superchargers out there. Getting one for a price you want might be tricky.

Anyone had your Intake "Extrude Honed"?

Yes, I had my NSX's intake manifold Extrude Honed.

I bought just about all of the naturally-aspirated horsepower modifications Comptech offered back in 1995. When I spoke with them, they recommended that if cost wasn't an issue, I should send my intake manifold to Extrude Hone. Comptech felt that yielded even better results than their hand-porting service did (back in 1995 Comptech charged $300 to port and polish the intake manifold by hand and Extrude Hone charged $585 for their service). Since Comptech built championship-winning race engines, I took their word for it and sent my intake manifold to Extrude Hone.

My cylinder heads went off to Comptech and the ported and polished cylinder heads, high-lift camshafts, Extrude Honed intake manifold, etc. were all put back together at the same time so unfortunately, I have no idea how much the Extrude Honing on its own brought. Since I didn't do a "before" dyno, I don't know how much all of the work together brought, either. Doh!

Thanks guys. That's really good information. That's what I love about this site, the community and the wealth of knowledge about our cars.
Brad

Back