• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

anyone have engine pic with window tint?

I have a question for those with tinted windows. (Mine aren't.)

On several occasions, I've driven other people's cars with tinted windows. In every case - somewhat during the daytime but particularly at night - I found the rearward visibility suffered tremendously. Backing up into a parking space at night was a terrifying experience. Don't you find the same thing?

backing up? who needs to back up?! :p. actually in the past 24 hours i dont think i've had to back up more that to back out of a parking space and i usually park near nobody so i dont really have to worry much about whats behind me, however i recall in my 300zx is WAS very difficult to see out the back at night but the only time it was an issue was if i had a long driveway to back down. the reverse lights werent bright enough to see well thru the tint. in cases like that, i'd stick my head out the window. small price to pay.........

When I first got my car windows tinted it was definitely a scary thing to back up. I couldn't see anything! I eventually got used to it and I no longer have that problem.

This is another reason why I don't think I can tint the windows on the NSX... it's scary to back up! I couldn't imagine backing up with a tinted NSX.

I did not tint my windows because visibility is more importaint to me. I drove a car in FL with light tint on the rear glass, and I could not see out the rear view mirror.

My solution was to make a "hat" out of a cover for an MR2. I fit the cover on using the mirror pockets to align it front and back, then I marked it around the bottom of the glass area and cut it on the mark. I attached small suction cups the rear flap covering the rear glass to hold it down, the mirror pockets hold the sides, and putting the front flap covering the windshield under the wiper blades hold that in place. It works out great and I use it when the top is off or on. Since it only covers the glass, you don't have to worry that your car is not spotless and scratching the paint (the roof always stays pretty clean).

I can put it on in a fraction of the time it takes to put on a full cover.

------------------
keep the shiny side up
MikeC 01 #46

All my cars are tinted limo (5%) except the passenger front door (20%).
As far as backing up I just roll down both window. (require power window)
I can't even drive without tinted windows now because the glare/headlight irritates my eyes. By the way tint will help in case of an accident. I once was in an accident; the tint held all the glass piece together. The rear quarter panel glass ended up in the center console like a glass burrito.
Heck; tinted windows saved me from a speeding ticket. CHP gave me tinted windows citation instead. cool

Originally posted by SexyRed:
All my cars are tinted limo (5%) except the passenger front door (20%).
As far as backing up I just roll down both window. (require power window)
I can't even drive without tinted windows now because the glare/headlight irritates my eyes. By the way tint will help in case of an accident. I once was in an accident; the tint held all the glass piece together. The rear quarter panel glass ended up in the center console like a glass burrito.
Heck; tinted windows saved me from a speeding ticket. CHP gave me tinted windows citation instead. cool

I can't stand the headlights at night either. But when driving the NSX, it doesn't seem so bad. Driving "normal" cars without tint at night hurt!

I agree with tint making glass safer. It will hold it in one piece (very strong stuff) during an accident of a break-in. I believe it deterred the person who broke "into my car." The glass cracked, the alarm went off, and he must've fled. The entire window was still there. I drove the car on the freeway, to a window shop to get it replaced... and the entire piece held together!

This is what it looked like!

P3040419.JPG

Here is a picture of my NSX with 20% Llumar Centaur tint all the way around. I have no problem with visibility at all when backing up. As a matter of fact, by removing the engine cover it allows the tint to become more transparent because the light can penetrate further.

-Cheers

x2-vi.jpg

[This message has been edited by Dr.Lane (edited 14 July 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Dr.Lane (edited 14 July 2002).]

Originally posted by Dr.Lane:
hmmm.....my picture isn't linking up???

Your picture isn't linking up because you need to use the URL of the picture itself (usually a .jpg or .gif file), not of the web page on which it appears. In Internet Explorer, you can find the URL of the picture itself by right mouse clicking on it, clicking on "properties", and checking the URL address that appears. Use THAT website address after the [ IMG ] in your post, like this:

x2-vi.jpg

Thanks nsxtasy....I got it!!!!

Just to let you know, gross anatomy was much easier to learn than all this internet stuff. But I am a quick learner.

Originally posted by Dr.Lane:
Just to let you know, gross anatomy was much easier to learn than all this internet stuff. But I am a quick learner.

Speaking as someone who is not a medical practitioner, I thought gross anatomy was more fun to learn, too!
biggrin.gif

Back