• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone in commercial banking?

I'm 28, finishing an internship in commercial banking between my 1st and 2nd year of my MBA at U of Michigan, and should get an offer in the next few days in a relationship manager position, which is pretty much half analytical work and half relationship-based sales. I had originally planned on going back to corporate finance, preferably in high-tech, but have enjoyed my internship more than I thought, and will strongly consider the offer even though I expect it to pay a little less than what I might get in corporate finance.

Anybody else work in commercial banking who might have some general insights? The way the offer is being presented, I would basically have to give up this offer in order to recruit at all with other companies this fall, so it would be a leap of faith. I like the job for the most part, I'm just not sure if I'm a "sales" guy and that makes me wonder what my options would look like in case it doesn't pan out for me. I feel like I could do it, but it's not my "natural habitat" - but then again, my biggest weakness is my assertiveness (not painfully shy/timid by any stretch, but I sometimes let others take the reins too easily) so maybe this is a way of turning a weakness into a strength?

Back