• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone know how hard it is to change the interior faceplate?

Hi guys,
I have a 2003 NSX and was wondering how hard it would be to change the faceplate on the interior. I am talking about the metallic plate that is in the center console, which borders the radio, hvac and other controls. Also, anyone know how much and where I can buy a new plate at? Thanks in advance!

Thanks Red. I am looking for the stock face plate. Any links to that?

Sorry, I meant the oem faceplate made by Honda. Thanks again for the pics.

Make sure you get the right color.

1991 to 2001 = Very dark gary color
2002 ti 2003 = Aluminum color
2004 to 2005 = Black
1999 Zanardi edition = Titanium color.

Maximus_NSX said:
Thanks guys! Does anyone know how hard it is to change?

First off, you need to pull the clock, and un plug it.

Unscrew the vent piece and pull it.

Open you glove compartment, remove the bottom plate, unscrew the four screws and pull the arm rest off.

Unscrew the stick shift Pull the parking brake all the up.

Pull the astray by lifting the lid up, it will pop out

Unscrew two screws on the top of the console faceplate
Unscrew the two screws in the ashtray
Unscrew the two screws by the arm rest

Be really careful when pull the center console plate off, if not, you can crack the edge of it with very little force (the two thin area around the ashtray). After lift it up, you will have to plugs to pull. Once unplug them, move it up inline with the parking brake handle.

When reinstalling the center console face plate, reverse the process.

Good luck....

I broke my original one, it cost me $400 bucks to replace it with a new one. Interestingly, the tech brok my vent piece with good timing, so I ordered the Zanardi edition center console plate and the dealer replace the vent unit with the same Zanardi edition color to match it.

Maximus_NSX said:
Wow, looks like a lot of work. Thanks guys!

Actually, it is not as much work as you think. You can do it in half an hour. I probably spent most time unplugging the fan and climate controle temperature sensor and the four switches which occupy the space where you US guys have a coin tray. And that only because there are a bit hard to reach.
I took my center console out to have it painted in a brushed aluminum color and have liked it very much so far.

Vancehu said:
Make sure you get the right color.

1991 to 2001 = Very dark gary color
2002 ti 2003 = Aluminum color
2004 to 2005 = Black
1999 Zanardi edition = Titanium color.

2004-2005 is also Silver (Aluminum) color.

The hardest part of the job is getting the vents out without breaking or scratching anything.

The four switches that you mention. I'm planning on removing them and putting coin tray instead. Are they difficult to unplug?
MvM said:
Actually, it is not as much work as you think. You can do it in half an hour. I probably spent most time unplugging the fan and climate controle temperature sensor and the four switches which occupy the space where you US guys have a coin tray. And that only because there are a bit hard to reach.
I took my center console out to have it painted in a brushed aluminum color and have liked it very much so far.

Jin1976 said:
The four switches that you mention. I'm planning on removing them and putting coin tray instead. Are they difficult to unplug?

Shouldn't be more difficult to unplug the connectors on the cointray switch than any other electrical connector on the interior.

Jin1976 said:

No, they use the same kind of plug that all the others parts also use. They are just a bit hard to reach, that's all.
Personally, I think those switches look better than a cointray but I can understand your need for a little more storage space.

Ben said:
2004-2005 is also Silver (Aluminum) color.

The hardest part of the job is getting the vents out without breaking or scratching anything.

Correct, some how I was thinking about the gauge bezel when I wrote that.

Is the Zanardi Edition "Titanium" finish darker or lighter then the 2002+ "Aluminium" finish. I have been trying to judge by pics but it's hard to tell. In most pics it looks a lot more silver looking then the 2002+

Back