• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone knows what these lights are for?

Radar/Lazer detector?

Anyone knows how to use these lights?
:confused:
Thanks in advance!!!

I'll venture a guess...

The middle one - a hyperspace indicator
left and right ones - warp aperture indicators

There should be a sticker nearby labeled : NCC-1701

Maybe Radar/lazer. They just look so primitive; I guess they were installed by the first owner. Right around when Star Trek was a big hit. lol

Left is your "low blinker fluid" warning light

Center/Large one is for the Flux Capacitor and lets you know once its charged

and the right one is your "seasonal tire air" warning light. Lets you know when you need to change the air in your tires.

looks like the remnants from a k-40 radar detector (very popular in the 90's). Was there a dial (or possibly a hole where it used to be) in the center armrest or under the driver side dash. Then you would know for sure. Either way, seems like those lights are there to plug those holes at this point...

did you ask the previous owner? do you still have their phone number?

post the VIN maybe someone here knows the car and could further assist

looks like the remnants from a k-40 radar detector (very popular in the 90's). Was there a dial (or possibly a hole where it used to be) in the center armrest or under the driver side dash. Then you would know for sure. Either way, seems like those lights are there to plug those holes at this point...

You are possibly right. I just noticed there is hole in the coin tray just in front of the arm rest console. The question is what to do now? Get the detector which is probably outdated and obsolete maybe? Hmmm
Thanks for your input

Mystery solved !!!
I contacted one of the previous owners and replied as follows:

"Yes the 2 lights will show red line levels, inbetween 8-9,000rpm.Engine will stall after 9,000.
Only really good for racing where you can't read guage quickly or accurately, you'll see the limit "

So off to test these lights I go.

Thanks for your inputs, ideas, and of course sense of humor.

Those are from the K40 built in radar detector. I used to have that same setup in my car. It was an aftermarket setup installed by many dealers. It was a grade A pain removing everything (especially when you are meticulous). I believe back in the day (early 90's), these were popular and quite pricey. I actually tried mine and it was pretty useless at detecting anything the local police used. It was, however, good at determining where a CVS pharmacy was.

There was a tangle of wires when I removed the housing. I personally like things stock and found the lights distracting, so I removed everything and returned the car to its original state. IIRC, the housing that the lights are drilled into was pretty pricey to replace.

Attachments

• Dash_Trim_2.jpg
    Dash_Trim_2.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 34
Anyone knows how to use these lights?
:confused:
Thanks in advance!!!

That is a K40 built in front and rear radar detector. The middle light is power on indicator, the other lights are there to indicate either front or rear alert. There is probably a power nob for city and highway mode somewhere in your car.

When I was in college the Acura dealer would install those and charge people almost $2,000 for a useless detector that went off ALL THE TIME! I never understood why people bought those instead of a V1.

Last edited:
Back