• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone live in SF?

Hey guys I am wondering do any of you live in/around san francisco? If so, are you able to drive your NSX on these streets? I am visiting from Boston and thinking of moving here... I'm looking at some of the inclines and hills, I would lose the entire front half of my car and drivetrain if I had to drive the NSX here. How do you guys handle that?

Hey guys I am wondering do any of you live in/around san francisco? If so, are you able to drive your NSX on these streets? I am visiting from Boston and thinking of moving here... I'm looking at some of the inclines and hills, I would lose the entire front half of my car and drivetrain if I had to drive the NSX here. How do you guys handle that?

I don't live around there. Which SHOULD make it more difficult for me to drive my nsx w/ Spec 2 race clutch. But it's not. Not a problem at all for me. I'm lowered about 7/8" too. Just sometimes I take off uphill in a cloud of tire smoke :)

I live in Pacific Heights. It's a challenge at times. I have to be very careful regarding the front end. I also make sure I not caught behind a lot of cars on a steep incline and stop signs.

That said...can't beat San Francisco.

I live in the marina in SF and commute every day in my nsx. I avoid certain streets but for the most part, its not so bad. I have stock suspension though. I pretty much avoided lowering the car or any stiffer suspension due to the rough areas in the city.

As one born and raised in SF I have to admit it's THE way to learn to operate a clutch :biggrin:
That said, the city has become cool-car unfriendly. I refuse to drive any car in SF that has been lowered or has tire sidewalls lower than 50-series -- and don't even THINK of parking anywhere. If you do, you will pay the price from the potholes that lurk in nearly every block and assinine drivers that park by ear.

I avoid certain streets but for the most part, its not so bad. I have stock suspension though. I pretty much avoided lowering the car or any stiffer suspension due to the rough areas in the city.

Ditto. I grew up in SF, and still visit SF on a regular basis. If I need to go somewhere where I have to use street parking, I don't drive my NSX. The perimeter of SF is pretty NSX friendly, It's Pacific Heights, Russian Hill, Nob Hill, Diamond Heights... Any district with the word "Hill" or "Heights" in it is to be driven through with caution and slow speed at intersection due the transition of street incline and flat intersection. Not only do you have to pay attention to the front lip, but also bottoming out as you crest into the intersection.

When are you considering moving to SF?

I agree with others, it's the downtown (Stop and go Traffic), Chinatown, Russian Hill, Potereo Hill, and Pacific Heights areas that are extermely hilly.

Richmond, Sunset, Excelsior, Mission are OK areas to drive.

Twin Peaks, Presidio, Glen Park, Lake Merced area have great windy roads to drive the NSX....as well as Highway 1 to Santa Cruz...

Hi Turbo2Go!
You have to let me know when you are visiting the SF Bay Area. I'll be happy to take you around. It would also be great timing for you to check out the movie theater that you've been giving me so much advice about.
You can call me (as I gave you my cell phone number via email and PM a number of months ago... PM me if you can't find it) and we can talk about your trip.

Thanks,
J.

Edited: I realized that you said you were already here and I now found out that you are back in the East Coast, so I'm sorry that I missed you during your visit. Call me when you get the chance so we can talk about your consideration of the Bay Area as your next home. I left a message with your colleague with my cell phone number.

Last edited:
My first legit post, so be gentle...

I bought my ride from a great Prime member recently, and drove through SF on the way home. I live in Seattle now, grew up in Phoenix (flat, you know), and learned how to use a stick downtown (hilltown Seattle) while in college; you'll learn quickly. Quicker if you fry a clutch. It's all a matter of perspective. Will you look at it as a challenge, or an insurmountable wall? The first few days will test your skill, and you'll rise to the challenge. We drive one of the greatest cars on the planet; of course we rise to the challenge! I absolutely loved my drive through SF (as did my gf), and look forward to going back for a wine country tour again soon (hope you'll be around for dinner, Michael). 'Nuff said for the proby...

I live in SF and work from home so I rarely drive, but I wouldn't want to drive around SF every day - honestly a lot of the streets are terrible.

I would say you've got nothing to worry about as far as hills and inclines go. With the exception of a very few that are just *ridiculous* (but totally avoidable). The rule for driving (and walking) is that if you see a hill that's too steep, just go two or three blocks around and there should be a reasonable alternative.

I would worry much more about the terrible pavement, enormous potholes, cab drivers, parking, rampant theft, etc.

Back