• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone tried bigger rotors with stock calipers?

MvM

Legendary Member
I was discussing the NSX-brakes last Sunday with a fellow NSX-driver from Germany.
He was planning to remove the stock rotors and fit bigger (13") rotors on the front with an adapter to use the stock calipers.
I was wondering if anyone has tried this before and what their results were.

Haven't tried it. Is his intention for more front bias with the larger rotor? I know some sport compact guys that have done this but only at all four corners to keep the bias stock.

While I am by no means a braking expert, I don't think it is a smart thing to do. AEM sells a "big brake kit" for sport compacts that is simply a larger rotor that still uses your stock calipers. This seems to be mainly for looks, however, it will boost performance slightly is my guess. With the same swept area to cover with the caliper(as far as brake pad size goes), it does not get extra gripping power. The only benifit i can think of is the longer distance the caliper gets to use would aid in cooling the brakes down.

integrapunk67 said:
AEM sells a "big brake kit" for sport compacts that is simply a larger rotor that still uses your stock calipers. This seems to be mainly for looks, however, it will boost performance slightly is my guess. With the same swept area to cover with the caliper(as far as brake pad size goes), it does not get extra gripping power. The only benifit i can think of is the longer distance the caliper gets to use would aid in cooling the brakes down.
Does the kit position the caliper farther from the axle? If so, then the caliper applies more braking torque.

Integrapunk, actually this setup will increase swept area. If you think about it, even though the size of the rotor and pad do not change, they are moved farther from the axle, thus increasing their leverage and swept area, though not as much as a bigger caliper and pad would. For each revolution of the wheel, more disc area would pass under the caliper than with a stock disc. However, I would still suggest using a larger caliper to take full advantage of the larger discs.

It wouldn't fit under the standard wheels, if that is what is planning on being used. Also wouldn't be able to use wider rotors either.

I am using this method for my rears (on 328mm rotors). For the front I will have 325mm rotors (nearly 13") under the standard wheels, by also using a new caliper. These rotors are also 32mm thick.

The kit is nearly ready, I have no pics yet.

The General said:
Integrapunk, actually this setup will increase swept area. If you think about it, even though the size of the rotor and pad do not change, they are moved farther from the axle, thus increasing their leverage and swept area, though not as much as a bigger caliper and pad would. For each revolution of the wheel, more disc area would pass under the caliper than with a stock disc. However, I would still suggest using a larger caliper to take full advantage of the larger discs.
that's actually what i was trying to say at the end... But the rotor change alone will not make near an improvement as a caliper....

Holy unsprung weight Batman!

You must be adding 4-5 lbs per corner right where the weight hurts you the most. I can't imagine that this is going to help your lap times since that weight will hurt your acceloration times and braking.

I guess if someone allready have 19/20's on there with superwide tires and a big body kit then what is another 20 lbs or so of rotor weight.

;)

I guess it is interesting to me that on the new TypeR Honda engineers went with the CF / Mesh boot to save 20 grams and we drive them home and put the weight right back on x 1000.

Last edited:
96blknsx said:
I am using 13" rotors for the rear with stock caliper (the kit is being sold at SOS) it works like a charm to me. BTW I have 13" 6 pots caliper in the front.

While I don't recognize the handle - but I can now guess ;) I believe I have seen those rotors two weeks ago at the track. They look very impressive and fill the wheels nicely.

I was also told by this same passenger that with my OEM rotors/calipers, I was breaking much earlier than he did ......

The added leverage from the longer torque arm generates significant increase in brake torque. We do this for the rear of our AP Racing kit, and it is the same approach that Honda took with the slightly larger brakes discs on the 1997+ NSX (same size caliper & pad, etc).

Cheers,
-- Chris

The car for which this is planned already as 17" and 18" OZ-wheels all around.
The idea is to use AP-racing rotors which have a aluminum hub so the weight difference should be small.
The only thing I was wondering about is if the AP-rotors also have a better ventilation system than the stock ones. I noticed on my stock that the holes in the rotors are just straight from in- to outside.

J14NSX - what rotors are you using on the rear ??

Back