• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone with Tile Cutting Experience?

I'm about to start a small kitchen remodel project and need some advice on cutting ceramic tile that is installed on a wall. I'd like to cut off 4 inches of tile where the wall intersects the counter top to install a new backsplash. I was thinking this would be a piece of cake for a Rotozip or a Fein Multimaster & a metal straight edge, but everything I've read so far says this is not an easy thing to do. Does anyone have experience doing something like this and if so any advice (tools/techniques etc.) would be appreciated.

Easiest way will be to use a handheld tile saw like this one...

http://www.homedepot.com/Ryobi/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xr5Z1aw/R-100665650/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

If you have a handheld saw already just get a diamond blade. I tried with a rotozip and a "rockwell" (think thats like the Fien?) and you cannot get a straigh line. Plus the blades wear out super quick! Its going to be really dusty with out using water like a normal tile saw. Be sure to grab a mask and goggles too.

Easiest way will be to use a handheld tile saw like this one...

http://www.homedepot.com/Ryobi/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xr5Z1aw/R-100665650/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

If you have a handheld saw already just get a diamond blade. I tried with a rotozip and a "rockwell" (think thats like the Fien?) and you cannot get a straigh line. Plus the blades wear out super quick! Its going to be really dusty with out using water like a normal tile saw. Be sure to grab a mask and goggles too.

Thanks CBLude! Using the saw and blade you suggest, how clean of a cut do you think I'll get and how likely will it be for the tile I cut not to crack into the portion of tile I want to remain? If you think even using the proper stuff means I'll still likely break some tiles then I may not try this since I don't have any extra tile to "fix" problems with!

Very good article in this month's Fine Homebuilding magazine on tile cutting/what saws to use, etc.

Cutting tiles is loud/messy and risky to fingers but otherwise not difficult.

Thanks CBLude! Using the saw and blade you suggest, how clean of a cut do you think I'll get and how likely will it be for the tile I cut not to crack into the portion of tile I want to remain? If you think even using the proper stuff means I'll still likely break some tiles then I may not try this since I don't have any extra tile to "fix" problems with!

Yeah there is always that risk of hitting a weak point and cracking a tile. If you take it slow you shouldn't have any problems. Also, if you have the counter top out... see if you can bolt up a 1x3 to the wall to use as a straight edge. Just make sure to get the right measurement based on the guide on the saw. That should help keep everything stable. If the saw "bucks" you will have a greater chance of breaking tile.

Let me know how it goes!

I helped my father years ago with a remodeling project - and he scored the tile and cracked it, similar to how you would cut glass.

I just finished building a bar in my basement. I tiled it using a slate look ceramic tile. I used this saw to cut it:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

It worked great, but if you use that one, make sure that you have an extra battery charged. It is a wet saw and is a little messy but it cuts nice and clean. I used a red grease pencil to mark my cuts and then washed it off.

Good luck!

Nate in DC

Back