• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

anything wrong with low rpm?

when idle, my rpm is only around 500 which normally should be 700 to 750. last time when I was at the dealership I ask the tech guy about this, he said low rpm allows higher rev and it will go faster. true or complete BS?
anything wrong with low rpm at idle?

im no tech but that doesnt make sense to me. i guess if your car idled at 500 instead of 700, you'd have 200more rpms to accelerate in, but it wont add anything above 8000grand, or whatever the exact redline is. its not like your car will be faster than a car that idles at 700. i guess you'll have more useable revs or whatever, but that 200 shouldnt make any difference, not to the redline anyway. because in all cars in every gear there is a certain rpm that corresponds with a certain speed, so 8000rpms is 60 in your car and 60 in another even if that other car idles at say 2000rpms.

or maybe im stupid:p

That's the worst line I've heard in some time. Stay away from that dealership for awhile.

well, to be honest I didn't really care about that "higer rev" crap. I am more interested in knowing if low rpm would actually do any type of harm to the engine in the long run

as long as you didnt engage the clutch at like 500 and then mash on the gas everytime you started off or something, because thats some work gettin the car to move at that low of an rpm, and its only 200rpms difference from what a "normal" engine is so i highly doubt it will be any harder/easier on the engine than other engines that idle higher.

Unlikely anything "wrong" in terms of causing damage, etc., but considerably outside of spec. I wouldn't get too "concerned", but it does indicate either mal-function or mal-adjustment, and neither is desirable. I would get it back to spec at the next convenient opportunity. Aside from just being way out of spec., most all specs have some basis other than being entirely arbitrarily chosen. "Off-idle" response, emissions, alternator charge rate, A/C compressor speed at compensated idle, water pump speed, etc. are a few of the considerations which come to mind. Again, not horrible, but also not desirable. I would also stay COMPLETELY away from the moron who provided that initial explanation/response at the shop, and probably anyone who employs him as well. Idle speed off isn't a horrible thing, but morons working on your NSX can be.

By the way: Is that where your idle speed has always been? Was it once correct, and then set incorrectly? Did it change all on its own? Those are factors which should be considered in evaluating (any problem). For example, changing on its own puts it more likely in the relm of a mal-function, which would cause me to look into it even sooner.

Richard
'93 Blk/Blk

rrwildman said:
By the way: Is that where your idle speed has always been? Was it once correct, and then set incorrectly? Did it change all on its own? Those are factors which should be considered in evaluating (any problem). For example, changing on its own puts it more likely in the relm of a mal-function, which would cause me to look into it even sooner.

Richard
'93 Blk/Blk

The idle rpm has been like this ever since I got the car. When I was at that dealer I ask him not to change any setting to my rpm.

Cool. I wouldn't be "concerned". Next time you're having service work done, I'd get it checked/set (checked to check the tach reading, set if out of spec). Just for the record, my '93 manual calls for (manual trans) 800 +/- 50 RPM under no-load conditions (no electrical loads/cooling fan/etc. for one minute).

maybe your tachometer is off. What transmission do you have ? I'm asking so that you can tell us how fast you're going at a specified rpm and in a specific gear. For instance if you have the 5-speed and you are at 3000 revs in 5th, you should be doing around 70 mph. Not very accurate method as your speedometer may be off too due to aftermarket tires and rims, but you could give it a try...

apapada said:
maybe your tachometer is off. What transmission do you have ? I'm asking so that you can tell us how fast you're going at a specified rpm and in a specific gear. For instance if you have the 5-speed and you are at 3000 revs in 5th, you should be doing around 70 mph. Not very accurate method as your speedometer may be off too due to aftermarket tires and rims, but you could give it a try...

based on your suggestion my speedometer is fine, when I am in 5th gear 3k rpm gets me about 71~72 mph

Unless the engine idles roughly and accessories like the a/c are not reason for the engine to stall when kicking in (due to increased load), and unless no engine lights come on, I wouldn't worry about it then...

Back