• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anytime Racing exhaust

Just as I suspected

ANYTIME just called me, and pretty much confirmed what I thought. The production run of the exhausts was not built to specs. I will let John fill in the details, but suffice it to say that if I told you that I was running straight pipes, it would not be far from accurate. ;)

Everything will be taken care of, and the exhausts will be back to spec pronto, I'm sure.

Greetings,
I just got back from Borla. They sound tested my car with the original prototype exhaust and it passed the sound limit of 85-90db that they set for their products(racing items not included). The first run of the 10 exhausts that they produced WERE admittingly manufactured incorrectly. Somewhere (human error) between R&D and the production line, some internal perforated piping got substituted with solid piping, making it almost a straight thru canister. I even installed one on my car and thought I was in a JGTC NSX! Nice and loud(not for the faint of heart). I spoke with customer service and all exhausts in consumers hands will be sent a new exhaust and with it, a call tag to have the incorrect exhausts returned, all at no cost. In an effort to show good faith, this is what I am proposing. Residents in the So. Cal. area, are able to get a free removal of defective product and a free installation of the replacement Borla exhaust. I will also do free installs for anyone else that is purchasing the exhaust. This will performed in my shop (located at my house) on a 2 post asymetrical lift, and I work on customers cars just like it was my own. Feel free to email or PM with questions.
Thanks,
John

Last edited:
OK, so I'm confused !

The exhaust inquestrion was OK !? It is to be that LOUD ?

xxlrr8

xxlrr8 said:
OK, so I'm confused !

The exhaust inquestrion was OK !? It is to be that LOUD ?

No, it was manufactured incorrectly. It should be much quieter. All of the first run will be tossed away, and new units will be produced. Looks like everything should work out okay, and I should get the note I expected...something ever so slightly louder than a Comptech at WOT. But, also near OEM at idle and minimum throttle.

John, your solution is a class act. Really. Congrats and my hat to you as a vendor.

Now how about making those shiny resonated tips longer, or even two separate cans like the original design (a la Gruppe) ...... pretty please ..... that is what will make it stand out among the crowded field ......... ;)

Hrant

ANYTIME said:
In an effort to show good faith, this is what I am proposing. Residents in the So. Cal. area, are able to get a free removal of defective product and a free installation of the replacement Borla exhaust. I will also do free installs for anyone else that is purchasing the exhaust. This will performed in my shop (located at my house) on a 2 post asymetrical lift, and I work on customers cars just like it was my own. Feel free to email or PM with questions.
Thanks,
John

John has worked on my car in the past in regards to some door dings. I found him to be very meticulous and thorough, all the while making sure to take care of my car even better than I would.
Way to go, John!!! :)

I did take yours and others advice on extending the tips. Viola, they have been extended 1". The current picture of mine does not reflect this change. The exhaust was attempted with seperate cans and due to hanger locations, flexing and other issues, it was decided to have a single appearing can with dual chambers internally. So, what appears as one is actually two mufflers welded together with a single skin around the outside. Check out the original design pics I dug up below.

Original design
fc50a268.jpg

fc50a240.jpg

Current design
fc6d7c90.jpg

Some updates! Current pics showing polishing and O2 bung placement(for tuning). This design replaces the incorrect louder version and is within limits on db levels set at most major tracks. SOS will have these in hand in about 1 week. Feel free to PM me or post with any questions.
Thanks,
John

fc3e9a2e.jpg

fc3e9ac7.jpg

fc3e9aaf.jpg

sjs said:
The bung appears to be barely at horizontal. You should make a point of getting it a bit higher even though that makes it a bit more difficult to use.
This can be easily changed. Any reason that it can't be in its current placement?

sjs said:
The bung appears to be barely at horizontal. You should make a point of getting it a bit higher even though that makes it a bit more difficult to use.

What exactly is the "bung"??:confused:

Tiger,

The "bung" is the welded threaded piece with the sealing bolt in it, on the exhasut pipe in the lower picture, in the second set of pictures from ANYTIME. These are used to hold the 02 sensors in the exhaust stream.

Looks like a very nice thing that ANYTIME did, add these additional "bung (s)" for a wide band tuning 02 sensor, in the case where you want to tune your fuel management system, for SC/Turbo/internal mods.

HTH,
LarryB

Thanks for the thorough explanation, Larry! You are the best!

ANYTIME said:
This can be easily changed. Any reason that it can't be in its current placement?

They are extremely sensitive to contamination by fluids so pointing the tip down at least slightly reduces the risk of condensation or other liquids such as blow-by oil running backwards into the sensor.

Another important thing to know about the heated wide-bands is that they should never be in the exhaust with the engine running unless they have voltage to the heater element, else they will clog up very fast.

" I am Bung-holeo, Yeh...Yeh " a quote from Sir Beavus or was it Sir Buthead I am not sure. :)

Dave

The new-NEW ANYTIME install

Okay, here's the update. As most of you know by now, I was the first person to install the ANYTIME exhaust other than ANYTIME himself. You also know we had a few problems (see earlier in thread). I have to say that ANYTIME (John) went out of his way to rectify the issues that needed to be resolved. He has spent 2 years putting this project together, and I'm sure he won't be retiring in the south of France because of it.;) He simply wanted to produce a great looking and sounding exhaust AND provide a lifetime warranty for all installations, including forced induction. Thus, he didn't want to see the project wash away because of some laborers' incompetence in the assembly of the first production run. John can fill you in on all the troubles he had should he wish.

Okay, the report. I am happy...very happy. Sounds great. Looks great. Quality materials, etc. On the first install, I welded in an O2 bung, and I think that John has decided to put this on all exhausts.

Sound: Well, it's not the screaming banshee that I was use to from the original install. Let's put it this way, I can't tell any difference whatsoever from the OEM exhaust with the windows up. That might partly be because of the induction noise I hear because of the K&N. Outside the car you can tell it's not stock, but it is not loud by any means. Science of speed has described the exhaust as having a metallic baritone pitch, which I think is a good way to describe it. So, I now agree with the SOS comparison, and concur that it might be just a bit louder than the Comptech at WOT. You can hear sound clips at the ANYTIME web. Just click on "Movies" to hear them.

Summary: If you are looking for a very nice exhaust, with a lifetime warranty for any NSX application, give this one a shot. I think you will be very pleased.

-Gene

BTW, the O2 bung is above horizontal. I think the camera angle was playing tricks. However, there would be nothing wrong with it being mounted a few more degrees towards vertical.

Additionally: I did not know John before this purchase any more than I did the man on the moon. IOW, there's nothing in it for me to give a great report.

Last edited:
KGP

Please compare, now that you have the correct exhaust, Anytime to the DC Sport using the SOS scale (In our opinion)
stock '93 1 2
Anytime 3 6.5

DC Sport ? ?

Thanks for your help !

PS - Love my new Hart C2 Wheels & Wings West body kit !

Anytime Exhaust

Installed my Anytime exhaust last week ---------- Love It !

Not too load, but not stock either -- just what I wanted.

I can tell a very slight difference from the OEM exhaust with the windows up. Outside the car you can tell it's not stock, but it is not loud by any means. Science of speed has described the exhaust as having a metallic baritone pitch, which I think is a good way to describe it.

It sits on my car a little to the right - does anyone elses do that ?

I'm glad I waited for this one !

Re: Anytime Exhaust

xxlrr8 said:
Installed my Anytime exhaust last week ---------- Love It !

Not too load, but not stock either -- just what I wanted.

I can tell a very slight difference from the OEM exhaust with the windows up. Outside the car you can tell it's not stock, but it is not loud by any means. Science of speed has described the exhaust as having a metallic baritone pitch, which I think is a good way to describe it.

It sits on my car a little to the right - does anyone elses do that ?

I'm glad I waited for this one !

Thanks for the great comments. You'll find after the exhaust goes thru a few heat cycles, it will adjust itself to the left. This was done on purpose, as stainless grows when it is hot. I went over and over this with Borla. We and went back and forth with spacing and found this to be the correct fitment from side to side. You'll find that after it is heat cycled, it will rest centered in the exhaust openings. If you check out the image below, you'll see that if the exhaust were to expand, the longer pipe(top left in pic), would push the exhaust to the left, centering it in the openings. Also, check all of the rubber hangers to see if they are all centered, on both top and bottom mounts.
exhausts.gif

sjs said:

Question for Anytime: We saw a conspicuous dusting of what appeared to be metal fibers on the bumper. Are the canisters of a straight-through type with a "steel wool" packing for a baffle? Assuming the answer is ‘Yes’, have there been advances over the year to make them more efficient? (Historically a low cost and zoomy sounding design, but generally not as efficient as a good reverse-flow type.)

I am interested in purchasing this exhaust but I am a bit concerned if this type of packing material is used to baffle sound. I have heard this type of material tends to melt and clog up the flow of air.

Anytime, could you please comment on this?

Thanks

By the way Anytime, your site looks very nice as does your ad in NSX Driver magazine :D.

Back