• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Apple factory(foxconn) working conditions

So, I'm guessing the answer is The video will air at 11:35 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 21 on ABC Nightline?

I'll probably DVR it.
I imagine a lot of stock market gains would be erased without the sketchy labor from China and India.
Not that I care about the market, but the point illustrates who does care.

I doubt it's going to cut into their sales at all, the hook is deep and everybody loves their apple products. I thought this was common knowledge stuff, either way it can't hurt for the story to reach a broader audience.

I read an article about the interview, people that make them can't afford them. Probably the same thing at the zonda facility. Emotionally it seems wrong, but financially I understand.:)

Apple is not the only co manufacturing items there.

I just bought an Ipad and was surprised to see (when they sent me tracking numbers) that it was being shipped directly from China. I was a little disappointed to be honest.

We are in trouble in this country. During WWII the manufacturing in the United States went from making toasters to making machine guns, from Fords to Tanks. What would we do today if something happened where we had to amp up the manufacturing for the war machine? Out source it to the country we are fighting? Just ranting I guess but I'm worried for my kids.

I just bought an Ipad and was surprised to see (when they sent me tracking numbers) that it was being shipped directly from China. I was a little disappointed to be honest.

We are in trouble in this country. During WWII the manufacturing in the United States went from making toasters to making machine guns, from Fords to Tanks. What would we do today if something happened where we had to amp up the manufacturing for the war machine? Out source it to the country we are fighting? Just ranting I guess but I'm worried for my kids.

Manufaturnig of war machines will remain within the US or at the very least within "allied" nations. At least for proprietary technology and final assembly. I don't ever see the US allowing this to be outsourced to someone like China, too risky given their perpensity to reverse engineer everything.

I haven't seen this, but just to set the record straight, this is FoxConn's factories, not Apple's. Foxconn also does manufacturing for other electronics companies, not just Apple.

"Apple iPads and iPhones -- mind-numbing work that may have led to 18 suicides"

wow, that's never happen in my company. MacBook, MacBook Pro, and imac are manufacturing in Fremont still. I remembered that during the imac peak, the sales orders were 2400 units per day. 2 shifts can solve that.

Manufaturnig of war machines will remain within the US or at the very least within "allied" nations. At least for proprietary technology and final assembly. I don't ever see the US allowing this to be outsourced to someone like China, too risky given their perpensity to reverse engineer everything.

I could be wrong, but I think the point he was making was that America had the infrastructure in place and was able to adjust assembly lines as needed, rather then construct new production facilities.

With the outsourcing of production and manufacturing to other countries, if we needed to ramp up domestic production (like in a time of war) do we have the infrastructure to do that?

I could be wrong, but I think the point he was making was that America had the infrastructure in place and was able to adjust assembly lines as needed, rather then construct new production facilities.

With the outsourcing of production and manufacturing to other countries, if we needed to ramp up domestic production (like in a time of war) do we have the infrastructure to do that?

Yes, we do have the infrastructure. During the war time, the labor should be cheaper.

I read this one article related to that plant (not sure if they go into in detail but they hint at it) but they had a serious suicide problem at the plant. There were several suicides from employees jumping off the building in a very short span and there was a bit of an uproar about it. So when the company was asked what they would do about it, guess what they did.....?

They put nets ups around the building so the people jumping off didn't die. :eek: That is both incredibly shocking and disgusting yet diabolically ingenious at the same time. Hmmm... let's not talk about the working conditions actually driving the people to commit suicide, let's just make it harder for them to actually kill themselves. :eek:

They put nets ups around the building so the people jumping off didn't die. :eek: That is both incredibly shocking and disgusting yet diabolically ingenious at the same time. Hmmm... let's not talk about the working conditions actually driving the people to commit suicide, let's just make it harder for them to actually kill themselves. :eek:

That's correct. Right after that, Foxconn CEO provided to that branch get a 15% to 25% pay raise and canceled life insurance for suicide section.

If I were a high level manager at foxcon I would be soooo evil. Each day I would have my minions find the hottest 3 girls. They I would give them a choice. Work OR be my personal sex slave for the day and take the rest of the week off. :)

Now back to reality. 700k employees there are bound to be some suicides. All kidding aside, I'd pay 2x as much for an Apple product to be made 100% in the USA.

If it was slave labor, no one would buy iPhones, obviously.
Instead, go to a country where people are starving and pay them just enough to barely afford food.
Then make them do anything you say. No moral issues?

Some put Foxcon workers at a salary of about $17-$21 per day or $400.00 per month. I don't know if working there includes food or sleeping quarters but many chineese companies do provide this so workers are never too far from the plant. How about TAXES? Do Chineese workers pay SS, FED, Local, 401k(don't laugh)? Is there any type of unemployment insurance, medical insurance or social security in China? I wish someone that has business knowledge of China would post this.

On the flip side, some people say "well if it wasn't for Foxcon, these people wouldn't have ANY money or job"

If it was slave labor, no one would buy iPhones, obviously.
Instead, go to a country where people are starving and pay them just enough to barely afford food.
Then make them do anything you say. No moral issues?

Here is a PDF files from SACOM. With the media and technology of today, it seems to be lots of info on any subject. Not sure whether the info is good/bad, right /wrong.
http://sacom.hk/wp-content/uploads/...xconn-and-apple-fail-to-fulfill-promises1.pdf

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/V3YFGixp9Jw?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/V3YFGixp9Jw?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

MacBook, MacBook Pro, and imac are manufacturing in Fremont still. I remembered that during the imac peak, the sales orders were 2400 units per day. 2 shifts can solve that.

I believe MacBooks and MacBook Pros are made in China. They showed them in the Nightline video on the assembly line. It seems that iMacs are made in China too, see this thread here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=374611

All kidding aside, I'd pay 2x as much for an Apple product to be made 100% in the USA.

Labor isn't the problem. Here's the BOM for the iPhone 4S:

2011-10-19_iPhone4S.jpg

Labor costs only accounts for 4% of the finished product (of the 16GB model, less for the other 2), probably less because that number may include factory related overhead allocations. The supply chain is the real reason that things are made in China. The glass factory, aluminum factory, chip factories, lcd factories, etc. are all next to each other and their supply chain is as short as possible. When they need to ramp up production they can make changes and ramp up production much faster than we could ever dream to do here in the US.

Running the factories is like a computer game, you just dial up/down numbers when you need to and your production changes almost instantaneously. I read an article in the NY times detailing a prototyping run that was done where a few thousand employees were woken up in the middle of the night and production started within a few hours. This just flat out isn't possible in the US because of regulations, lack of resources, lack of factories, lack of employees etc. and not necessarily that regulations are good or bad, they just inhibit the possibility of this level of manufacturing.

Last edited:
Budweiser®;1539223 said:
Labor isn't the problem. Here's the BOM for the iPhone 4S:

2011-10-19_iPhone4S.jpg

Labor costs only accounts for 4% of the finished product (of the 16GB model, less for the other 2), probably less because that number may include factory related overhead allocations. The supply chain is the real reason that things are made in China. The glass factory, aluminum factory, chip factories, lcd factories, etc. are all next to each other and their supply chain is as short as possible. When they need to ramp up production they can make changes and ramp up production much faster than we could ever dream to do here in the US.

Running the factories is like a computer game, you just dial up/down numbers when you need to and your production changes almost instantaneously. I read an article in the NY times detailing a prototyping run that was done where a few thousand employees were woken up in the middle of the night and production started within a few hours. This just flat out isn't possible in the US because of regulations, lack of resources, lack of factories, lack of employees etc. and not necessarily that regulations are good or bad, they just inhibit the possibility of this level of manufacturing.

Good post. I believe regulations are the biggest factor, but the US could still manufacture some products that are outsourced.

Back