• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Apple Watch

The newest generation of smartphone's are too big to put in your pocket, so by default the smartwatch might make sense. I will be keeping my iPhone 4S.

They're really not though.
I thought the same thing until trying it.
Most androids use lighter materials and so you don't even know it's in your pocket.
Shorts, dress pants, jeans, no issues.
The biggest issue to having a phone in your front pocket is the weight of the phone more than the size.
A heavy phone will flop around, a big light phone is just like having a few bills in your pocket.

other than maybe the fitness stuff, the watch seems pointless. everything else i can just do on my phone.

That's what I'm thinking. I don't care what the weather is 24x7, or to see emails pop up in real time everywhere I go.
For fitness, I would rather buy a high end dedicated device is that's what I wanted.
I would assume that way would look better, work better and be far cheaper than an Apple watch.

Last edited:
They're really not though.
I thought the same thing until trying it.
Most androids use lighter materials and so you don't even know it's in your pocket.
Shorts, dress pants, jeans, no issues.
The biggest issue to having a phone in your front pocket is the weight of the phone more than the size.
A heavy phone will flop around, a big light phone is just like having a few bills in your pocket.

That's what I'm thinking. I don't care what the weather is 24x7, or to see emails pop up in real time everywhere I go.
For fitness, I would rather buy a high end dedicated device is that's what I wanted.
I would assume that way would look better, work better and be far cheaper than an Apple watch.

you already know people are going to fall all over themselves to buy it even though its basically a smaller wrist worn version of their phone.

I'm trading my breitling in for a gold apple watch the minute it comes out. :biggrin:

I'm trading my breitling in for a gold apple watch the minute it comes out. :biggrin:

How about I buy the gold Apple watch and then I trade you for the Breitling! ;)
Was that yellow gold or rose gold you wanted?

It is a useless device. Very surprised Apple released this.

I was kinda thinking it was, not necessarily useless, but not as useful as I would think. Then again, i'm sure there will be tons of apps that will be created for this. I just recently bought a Philips Hue starter kit, and use my iPhone to turn on/off my lights and also change the colors. I can see the Watch being used as a control. I believe they mentioned it will work as a control for Apple TV, iTunes and a few other things. If Apple ever releases an HDTV, I can see the Watch working as a remote control for the TV.

If you only compare the specific hardware features from one smartwatch to another smartwatch you'll never get what Apple is trying to do. Frankly, I was hoping for more bio-sensors with this first Apple Watch - and those will come in time, but it's clear that it's the entire infrastructure that Apple brings to the table that will be the real gamechanger. Just look how many credit cards and banks are signing on to Apple Pay as one example. I just don't see that deep, broad infrastructure and 3rd party adoption being driven by anyone as well as Apple. The integration of cloud-based documents, photos, media across all devices is an Apple strong suit. Sure, on any given day the latest Android device might have a new whiz-bang feature that the current Apple device does not, but how well and how broadly is that new feature used or implemented. Apple has waited on many occasions and held back some new capability until the time was right for all the pieces to fit into a unified whole. The iPhone now has NFC, something Android phones offered awhile ago. But there has been no real widespread adoption of that NFC capability. Apple has lined up all of their partners and have done their homework and it appears the time is right.

All too often we just look at the hardware of the latest gadget and that's never been what Apple products have been about.

I have a basis fitness watch and it was the great....the first few days then it kinda just got to be pointless. Shelling out $$$$ for these electrical gadgets, only to get raped on resale. I'd rather have a Breitling. I do like the Samsung Gear S, but again..........looks like a gadget.

I have a basis fitness watch and it was the great....the first few days then it kinda just got to be pointless. Shelling out $$$$ for these electrical gadgets, only to get raped on resale. I'd rather have a Breitling. I do like the Samsung Gear S, but again..........looks like a gadget.
My point exactly. So does the Apple watch IMHO. That's why i mentioned the Kairos mechanical watch, and the LG model which looks like a mechanical one (but is cheap enough so you dont care about resale value).

I think a bunch of people will buy it, play with it for a week, then it will just sit in the drawer.

I love my iphone, and I honestly don't see the point of this. I wouldn't wear it if you paid me to, and frankly I don't see that opinion changing.

Having said that, I am probably not a good data point. I still don't see the point in things like FaceBook, Pintrest, Snapchat, Google+, mobile connected cars, 'smart tv's', finger print reader phones, NFC payment systems and whole host of other 'improvements' that have happened in the last 15 years or so that seem to have little to no tangible benefit to me with the side effect of costing more and potentially invading my privacy.

I am sure it will be wildly successful and continue to evolve as a product to serve even more needs. The world clearly doesn't see things as I do most of the time.

you have arteries and veins going past the watch on the wrist...lets see how smart the engineers and programmers can get to measure our vitals in real time.Plus some large nerves.....that might be interesting...emg for everyone:biggrin:

Last edited:
I have a basis fitness watch. It knows when im cycling, running, and walking. Measures, sleep, body perspiration and heartbeat. It was cool for like 3 weeks, my spin class instructor was like,"what do you need that for?" I said......uh. Now it sitting on the desk in my office. If they make smart watches in g-shock form, I bet they'd fly off the shelves.

A lot will depend on the pervasiveness of Apple Pay, Home Kit and Health Kit ecosystems. If these become popular then the Apple Watch has more of a chance. I don't see Samsung, etc doing any real work on ecosystem building on the level of what Apple can do. With a few more bio-sensors this could be huge (i.e. pO2, blood glucose, BP)

Back