• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

APX turbo - Upgrades?

r71

Contributing Member
Anyone done upgrades to the turbo? Stop light to stop light ain't working for me. It screams above 6k, but I need down low. Any replacement turbos? Recommendations/suggestions? My 911 spools faster than this.

i upgrade to gtx35r after three years running that t67. u might experience with little boost creep with fast spool turbo with this kit unless u run over 10 psi

r71. I think you can look at this 2 ways. For a lot of money and a lot earlier boost go with a smaller bb turbo. Full boost may kick in 750-1000 rpms earlier. That will give you the torque from stoplight to stoplight. For less money and smaller gains, a different sized housing has been used which may lower max boost by 2-300rpm's. Depends on your wallet.

Have you ridden in other members turbo cars running similar boost and different turbos? One thing about the Angus setup is the holy shit factor from 5-8k. Smaller turbos may give you more torque and hp from 2800-4k but possibly lack the wham higher up.

What I really like about the stock Angus turbo is its dead on reliability. I'm running mine for 3 years with zero kit/turbo related issues. No smoke, no leaks, no boost creep as some others have experienced here. Keep us updated

I don't think it's about power E-Nough, it's tuned to 430, but I got it under 4 for daily. KooKoo's right, I don't care about the 5, 6, 7k. I hardly see it in city traffic. I think it would be more fun with a smaller turbo and faster spool.

- - - Updated - - -

doc_tai, can you elaborate?

- - - Updated - - -

kevgk, at what rpm are you reaching full boost?

- - - Updated - - -

By the way KooKoo, 400 and 7.5 psi is exactly how my tuner set mine up as well. Seems to be the magic number.

I'm not sure when it is at full boost but I would say just under 5k. Probly 4500. Realistically the only time it would not be in full boost is in first gear - so if you launch around 3k you are spooling up for a total of two thousand rpm until you see full boost. Most guys have a traction problem anyways with that kind of power and decent tires. The one two shift and every shift thereafter is right into full boost after the shift ( I do have the short gears). So when you say light to light racing I do that all the time as well as highways speeds and there is no lag, no lull, no nothing just fastness. If you really want to take advantage of the car you wouldn't shift below 8 k anyways right? Which would put you out of boost range for sure and you would feel the lag, but who would drive like that during a hard pull light to light or otherwise.
Just my opinion.

I don't think it's about power E-Nough, it's tuned to 430, but I got it under 4 for daily. KooKoo's right, I don't care about the 5, 6, 7k. I hardly see it in city traffic. I think it would be more fun with a smaller turbo and faster spool.

- - - Updated - - -

doc_tai, can you elaborate?

- - - Updated - - -

kevgk, at what rpm are you reaching full boost?

- - - Updated - - -

By the way KooKoo, 400 and 7.5 psi is exactly how my tuner set mine up as well. Seems to be the magic number.

Power goals play a huge part in turbocharger selection. Your power levels are similar to mine. I have a gtx3076r with a T4 exhaust housing on my car which may seem small but even at 6psi it made 390whp. This is my wastegate spring level I drive on most of the time and it went 11.9@120mph at this boost level. 8.5psi netted me 446whp, I'm hoping to make some more passes at this boost level this spring and then turn it up from there.

With a gtx3076r I see 6psi in the low 3xxx range. 9psi is had at 3500rpm. This is the smallest turbocharger I would normally suggest, any smaller and I think you will have to push the boost levels higher, and would get unnecessary heat. Contact Angus and check which turbocharger options you have that may be a direct bolt in operation. Some turbocharger may not fit, and others may require some modification and welding.

On my Angus setup I see 1psi at 3000 to 3100rpm's and max boost(7psi) about 4200 rpms.

I'd like to know what our stock 3.0 motors are putting out(hp/tq) at 3000 rpm's with 1 psi vs
3000 rpms with 6psi. I have driven in other members cars with smaller turbos and I have to say the pull is impressive from 3k and up.

When does the SOS twin turbo setup see beginning and full boost?

It's open t4 .82ar gtx35r turbo, on second gear I see full boost (6.1 psi) at 4100 rpm then it creeps to 8psi by 7800 rpm, it's all depend on what gear u on, lower gear I see faster spool. Its pretty responsive turbo when off and on or shift between gear, 1st gear is pretty a spinning now( never have that problem with the old t67 at same boost). This turbo can support way more hp than I ever want ( 500-550 whp)

Which ar housing would help for quicker spool with the stock t67? Would that change of housing require q retune?

Back