• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Are there any good Manual Trans sport sedans left?

Best small sedan I've ever owned is the RS4. That being said, it's now outdated a bit. If I was buying preowned, I would buy an RS4. If I was buying new, I would buy the S4. Both have 6 speeds, and both are the best in the small sedan area. My opinion of course. Wife drive's a 335Xi. She's trading it next month and going to an X3. If she was still looking at a small sedan, she would have traded for an S4. Good luck in your search. Finding a good 6 speed isn't easy.

Last edited:
You can always find one of those still-pristine Legend GS sedans and drop a C35A into it. Or any good condition Legend sedan for that matter ;) dunno how you feel about stepping back 20 years though.

I've been reading more about the ILX. Seems like they've done a decent job with it. I'm not sure if we can live with how small the back is but will give it a look-see this weekend. I can not believe there is no Navigation option offered with it though. In this day and age.. this blows my mind.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/17/2013-acura-ilx-2-4-review-road-test/

lead14-2013-acura-ilx-review.jpg

I've been reading more about the ILX. Seems like they've done a decent job with it. I'm not sure if we can live with how small the back is but will give it a look-see this weekend. I can not believe there is no Navigation option offered with it though. In this day and age.. this blows my mind.

You have to purchase it with the Technology Package to get all the goodies, including Navigation. This applies to all Acura Products.

It is available, just not with the 2.4 and the 6 speed manual trans. Only the automatic trans get the tech package. Dumb move, I think.

Why would you want navigation. In car nav is usually a pain in the butt to use, n hard to update. Why not just buy a dash mount and put it in the car when you need it. Buy a $100 one at wallmart when its outdated throw it out and buy a new one. 90% of the time I know ware Im going anyway. For the 10% I may need it I don't want to fumble with the manual to figure it out.

its actually quite common; and its not only nav package that you can lose with 6 spd manuals.

when we bought the IS in MT 6-spd, you can only get it in its sport trim, which means no nav either and no awd option; with no awd there are no electronic memory seats for multiple drivers/electronic reverse mirrors etc etc etc.

i would ask about all those things when you go check out acura.

Wow.. no kidding. Dumb move indeed.

sigh...

Perhaps because the $100 units are crap.

Honda/Acura do have really nice Nav units that are actually usable.

-J

this new generation of nav units with the massive 12 inch screens (lexus+bmw come to mind) are really really nice.

being as cheap as i am i still try to buy cars without them and i pick up a nicer 250$ ish gps unit (still not perfect tho). i figure its a far cry from the factory 3 grand option.

Perhaps because the $100 units are crap.

Honda/Acura do have really nice Nav units that are actually usable.

-J

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/17/2013-acura-ilx-2-4-review-road-test/

lead14-2013-acura-ilx-review.jpg

I had one as a loaner when my NSX was in for service. Not bad- very upscale and comfortable, but gutless. It felt nicer than an Integra, but not nearly as fun to drive.

I echo the RS4 sentiment though you are looking at several years old now as your only option.
Not sure why you don't want to consider Infiniti/Nissan. I've owned G35 coupe (AT unfortunately), 2x EX35, FX45, 09 370z & currently an FX50S. The G35 coupe was okay stock, but I spent some $$ & upgraded it with Borla exhaust, headers, manifold spacer : I was amazed at the low-end torque of it, even with 5sp AT. Going around a "round-about" I could roll into the accelerator in 3rd gear & get it sideways before TCS would kick in. I replaced it with a CTSC 1997 NSX so there was no comparison, but at the same time I had a 400hp GTO (monstrous torque) & even with that for comparison I was impressed with the G35. My current FX50S (the mutant) SUV is something else also: I actually drive it more than anything else I own. 391hp w/7sp AT & I still average 21.7mpg on premium in mixed driving.

I say you should at least consider the G37 sedan : you might be surprised. Also, contrary to some's beliefs, my Infiniti's have been more trouble-free than anything else I've owned (BMWs - multiple, Honda - multiple) : the only thing I didn't like initially was the exhaust sound but the Borla made quick work of that

Just a thought

Last edited:
I echo the RS4 sentiment

I purchased an 07 RS4 with 92k miles on it. I'm now to 106k miles in under 4 months. I still consider it the most well rounded car I've ever driven. It's got a Milltek exhaust with all else being stock. If you have never driven one, do it. Find one nearby and go see it. In addition, there is not a bad angle on it. My favorite angles are straight on from the front and straight on from the back. The fenders bulging out reminds me of a bulldog. These are my biased thoughts, but you asked. When I hit 150k on this one, I'll buy another. I don't care if people think it's dated. I love the look, and for me the look will never go out of style. It's an AWD year-round sports car. For me, it doesn't compromise on anything. Not power, not looks, not functionality, nothing.

Joe

For the hell of it.. I tried to search for any 2nd gen used IS250s in a manual. 0 search results on eBay.

They are rare. When I bought mine the Lexus dealerships had like 2-3 max; and not even all of them were new.

Best of luck, It's a nice little reliable car.

It is available, just not with the 2.4 and the 6 speed manual trans.
Yeah, true. For me it was still a no-brainer. I'd rather have the driving experience than the technology any day of the week. For unfamiliar roads or longer trips, I love my Garmin Nuvi anyway. The "ETA" feature on that thing is spot-on. I'd probably use it even if my car had navi.
It felt nicer than an Integra, but not nearly as fun to drive.
Give the manual transmission version a try - it's a rev-happy, tightly sprung little car. I've carved up some canyons and this thing is no NSX but for an entry level premium car I have a ton of fun with it.

Just got home on Sunday from a huge road trip through southeastern Utah, including Monument Valley where I drove it on 17 miles of dirt road. My trip write-up is here.

Good luck on your search RYU! Keep us posted. I'd love to see a manual trans 2nd gen IS250 in person someday.

acura_ilx_monument_valley_zpsddf7f0a7.jpg

I purchased an 07 RS4 with 92k miles on it. I'm now to 106k miles in under 4 months. I still consider it the most well rounded car I've ever driven. It's got a Milltek exhaust with all else being stock. If you have never driven one, do it. Find one nearby and go see it. In addition, there is not a bad angle on it. My favorite angles are straight on from the front and straight on from the back. The fenders bulging out reminds me of a bulldog. These are my biased thoughts, but you asked. When I hit 150k on this one, I'll buy another. I don't care if people think it's dated. I love the look, and for me the look will never go out of style. It's an AWD year-round sports car. For me, it doesn't compromise on anything. Not power, not looks, not functionality, nothing.

Joe

That is a testament to what really was a great car. And I doubt anybody will ever find the RS4 dated... I still would prefer an RS4 even over the new RS5 coupe that is now out. But the thread is asking about MT sedans & I still think this is one of the few that are still fun to drive around.

Sitting at the dealer right now picking up a Caddy ATS. Wanted the 6 speed but the pricing on the auto due to residuals was like $50 per month less on this promo...

Sitting at the dealer right now picking up a Caddy ATS. Wanted the 6 speed but the pricing on the auto due to residuals was like $50 per month less on this promo...

Nice. Interested to hear your thoughts on it. I was very impressed. Caddy has their act together.

Back