• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Are there any interests for a NSX-specific HID kit?

I am wondering if any of you are interested in a Mcculloch-based HID kit specifically for the NSX for extra easy plug and play installation. The projected price is $375. I am thinking about making a few sets. Anyone?
Steve

For example, the SOS kit requires the re-routing of 2 wires/plug outside the cap. The kit I have in mind does not require that and will greatly reduce the installation time AND it is fully reversible in no time in case you sell the car and not wanting to sell the HID with it.
Steve

Re: I'm interested

ACURARUCA said:
I would like a set as you described. What number series would thye be or can we pick?
The color temp is going to be 5300k since it is the closest temp to mid-day sunlight and it is very bright. Do you have any specific temperature that you would like?
Steve

I also may be interested for that price.

That temp sounds good- I'm in.

Does the 5300k have a slight blueish tint when compared to the stock headlamp color? I would like that- not too blue but slight. Either case, you can count me in.

Thanks Brian

Re: That temp sounds good- I'm in.

ACURARUCA said:
Does the 5300k have a slight blueish tint when compared to the stock headlamp color? I would like that- not too blue but slight. Either case, you can count me in.

Thanks Brian
5300K is very white period. The stock headlight will be very yellow in comparison. In my opinion, the 5300k is the best K to have since it is not blue and it is the brightest.
Regards,
Steve

I have the Mcculloch 5300K. It's not white like paper. I would say that you can compare the color to a flash of lightning.. it's that white. I don't have any regrets with my color choice. Like Steve said, it will put your stock headlights to shame.

Ok, here is an update. Other color temperatures are available. The projected prices are as followed and I need your 2 stock caps as core exchange.
5300k $375
6000k or 6500k (typos?) $395
8000k $415
10000k $435
I personally think the best kit is the 5300k kit for its best bang for the buck. The 8000k or 10000k are just little too blue for my taste.
Here is my set up. http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17088&highlight=hid+foglights They are rated at 6000k but they are almost identical to the 5300k that I am selling.
Steve

T Bell said:
What "k" comes stock say on an Audi or BMW, so we can make a guess at the color.
From what I have read all these years, BMW's and Audi's blue is not due to BULBS that have higher K but due to the OPTICS of the projector/lamp housing. The blue tinge is due to the prism effect and is only apparent at certain angle. On some articles that I have read, the actual K that is used in German cars are only 4100k to 5300k. The NSX's projectors and other halogen light housings are not designed for HIDs. So this blue tinge is not there. Many people use these "higher" K HIDs to try to simulate the blue tinge. The problem is that higher Ks give more glares and many kits use blue bulbs to achieve that color temperature hence lower lumens. Higher glare means getting pull-over by police and I just don't think it is right to blind the oncoming traffic. I personally will not go beyond 6000k since photographic flashes are 5600k wich is the color temp of mid-day sunlight. One of the best things about the NSX is that the projector headlights work very well with the HID. We used to have 2 NSXs. When my wife drove the other one behind me, I found that the HID on her NSX is very unobtrusive and pleasant from the perceptive of another NSX. To be very honest, IMO the higher K HID found many common Japanese imports just look ricey and dim. They look more like glow with big glares. I can specifically order the higher K kits for anyone but I will not recommend it since they are more expensive but not at all better. One can do NO WRONG with the 5300k kit.
Seems like there are quite a bit of interest so far. I will now plan to make 10 sets of 5300k kits initially.
Regards,
Steve

Steve, are you doing Mcculloch-based kits only, or can I get a different brand? Do I get a discount since Ive already bought over 40k worth of goods from you;)
BTW PM me your email addy.
Tony

I may be interested as well in a 5300 kit.

I'm not the best at installing electrical things, will they come with instructions ? And what do you mean by you will need the stock caps ?

Please PM me or e-mail me with info.

Thanks

Hey Steve,

It's Ken, I bought the Mcculloch Kit from you a little while ago. Thanks sooo much for the help w/ the install. The HID's work great.

In the tread you said that the kit you sold me was 5000k:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31499&highlight=Mcculloch

Well, the box said it's rated at 4200k. The HID are pretty white but don't seem be be as white as the PIAA 168 Xtreme White wedge bulbs I bought to match them with. :confused:

The HIDs are still great, just wondering how do I check the rating. I'm looking for some 5300k Mcculloch bulbs if you want to add it to your group buy list. Thanks again

Ken

count me in for the 6000

Update

Hi guys,
I have encountered some technical problems. The process and cost of making this kit is more than I estimated. Currently I am still waiting for the seal caps to arrive. Since I am no businessman and have made a few false assumptions of cost, I underpriced the kit. However, since I did buy 9 sets of the 5300k kits and one set of 6000k kit. I will just sell them at the original projected price plus $25 dollars core charge for the 2 factory seal caps. The core charge will be refunded upon receiving your caps. 2 sets of 5300k kits are already spoken for. So now, I will sell 7 5300k kits and a 6000k to the first 8 people who will commit to the purchase by PMing me and sending me a check. I don't like to use Paypal since they charge me 4%. I did order the 6000k kit for Woody who will get first crack, so to speak, of it. The kit will be a no-brainer to install if you know how to remove the headlight covers. I have minimal computer skill so I have had difficulties making a manual especially I don't have another NSX as a guinea pig/sample. Shipping will be $10 for 48 States. Projected shipping date for the first 5 sets of kits( I only ordered 5 pairs of seal caps) will be in about 2 weeks.
Thanks,
Steve

An Update

Hi Guys. As you guys know that I am not really a vendor but just another NSX nut. I initially asked the group to see if there were any interest in a NSX-specific HID kit. I got quite a bit responses on the forum and PMs. Therefore I decided to make 10 sets and I am not doing this for money, but just a hobby that I developed. However, after I made the kits, Dr. Manny, Lud and Acuraruca are the only 3 that actually purchased them and I am VERY grateful to them. I still have 7 sets sitting in my home collecting dust and I am out more than $2400. I would not have even considered building them had I not gotten any shown interest. I certainly will make a lot more money if I spent the time on my day job instead. So if you are in the market for a NSX specific kit that is extremely fast and easy to install with ABSOLUTELY NO wire re-routing or splicing, please consider buying my kit. I will not make anymore of these after they run out, if ever. Thanks for you attention.
Regards,
Steve

Hid NSX specific headlight system

I indeed purchased the hid system. The instructions were great and very visual. I was able to install the right and left side very quickly. As stated there was no cutting or complex means of installation. Steve did an excellent job of packaging the kit. I still need to return the core pieces, which I intend to do shortly. I strongly recommend to my fellow NSX'ers that if you want the look and performance of Zenon lights that you take Steve's offer. I am really happy with the color (not too blue-rather a clean white light). I feel I have improved the distance that I can see at night. In fact I find that I sometimes find an excuse to drive at night just to see the lights in action. Now the only other thing to do is replace the high beam with a Zenon light. What do you say Steve?

Regards,

Manny:D :D

I second drmanny3 on the HID kit provided by Steve.

Steve took time out of his busy life to help me install my first HID kit. I've had the kito on my car for over 2 months now and I couldn't be happier with it's results.

Thanks Steve,

Ken

Back