• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

are these OEM rims?

I bet this question has been asked 200million times already, but I cannot seem to find this info in any FAQ.

nsx-1994-2g.jpg

Were these optional rims back in the early 90s? Can they still be purchased? Too heavy?

Yes, those are OEM rims and were found on the 94-01 model years. There were 3 styles of rims over the years. This info can be found in the NSX wiki.

Used sets are sold all the time here in the classifieds.

'Heavy' is a subjective term. What do you consider heavy? I don't consider these OEM rims heavy.

Correct. Those are the stock rims, which are forged and relatively light weight. There were two finishes offered; for the 1994-1996 model year, the rims were painted a charcoal gray color ("Solaris Silver"), and for the 1997-2001 model year, the rims had a bright silver machined/brushed looking finish ("Blades Silver"). The same wheels were also available for purchase at dealerships with a painted white finish.

The car above appears to be a 1994 model year car, since it has the Solaris Silver wheels and the black roof (most 1995 and later cars had color-matched roofs).

Best answer ever, thanks!

If you count Japan, there's actually another finish with a slightly lighter version of the wheel for the 1994-1995 Type-R. Paint color is Championship White but the wheels are supposedly 2 lbs lighter each. Extremely rare and very expensive.
1994-honda-nsx-r.jpg

HOLD UP... That is not entirely true I don't think. These are the 94 until I think 98 wheels. There is a small difference in the 94-98 (I think 98) than the 99-01 wheels. It's the center caps. I have 00 wheels like this but they do not accept the earlier center caps. I can know this because I have a sweet set of the shown Acura centers custom painted to match my wheels perfectly but they don't fit. The style is identical though for the most part. Just one key point if you like the Acura caps like I do.

The wheels for 1994-1996 are all the same, Solaris Silver, as noted above. The wheels for 1997-2001 are all the same, Blades Silver; they carry the same part number for every year (other than the ones for the Zanardi NSX). The center caps for 1997-1999 have one part number, and the center caps for 2000-2001 have a different part number; I believe that's because they switched from the Acura logo to the Acura name (or vice versa). But the center caps from '97-99 should fit wheels from '00-01, and vice versa, since the wheels are the same, with the same part number.

I suspect the reason your center caps didn't fit your wheels was probably because of the extra layer(s) of paint created added thickness when they were painted.

I recall them being too small. I would have to check again but I am quite sure they don't fit. I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I would have surely realized if it just needed a little trimming. I will check again as the wheels are not on the car now.

I will check this weekend but you have me wondering if the wheels caps that were sold to me where maybe not from an NSX to begin with. I would guess that same type cap could easily have been made for other models with possibly other caps sizes...

The rims posted by OP are exactly like mine, 98 OEM (photo taken at dusk for mine, i am quite certain it's exactly the same color):
i-SRFjWtw-X2.jpg

Coupes were available with black top (like mine or OP photo)

Last edited:
Here is some support for my argument. Again, I am not 100% sure but I have Acura center caps that don't seems to fit in my wheels so I thought the wheels were different. These from SOS only fit 94-96 which supports what I am saying.
As already noted above, the center caps for 1994-1996 are different from those for 1997-2001 because the color is different. The size is the same.

I know your an expert but why don't they list fitment on the SOS sight for aftermarket? I am nearly positive it's because they don't fit.

why don't they list fitment on the sos sight for aftermarket?
It's because of the color. Which they state clearly on the website: "for US spec 1994-1996 'Solaris Silver' (dark gunmetal silver) wheels."

And they are center caps for the stock wheels, not aftermarket wheels (which may have entirely different center caps, or even none at all).

Last edited:
You might have got the ones they advertise on eBay ... I got the same ones... Nice and shinny Acura center caps for NSX for 94-01 oem wheels... but they do not fit. Sent them back for refund and told them to stop advertising that they fit NSX, but they are still doing it.. A holes!!!

So, any of you running 265s on the rear 17s of these OEMs? I am about to upgrade my tires on my rims and am looking at 265s (Michelin Pilot Sports/PS2). If I have to stay at 245, then I am going with Michelin Super Sports.

Have not figured out the front yet.

So, any of you running 265s on the rear 17s of these OEMs? I am about to upgrade my tires on my rims and am looking at 265s (Michelin Pilot Sports/PS2). If I have to stay at 245, then I am going with Michelin Super Sports.

Have not figured out the front yet.
Last time I had this setup 245 looked just right on this rim width. I suppose I could run 255 but tire width slightly vary between different manufacturers. 265 would be too wide of a tire I think

Last time I had this setup 245 looked just right on this rim width. I suppose I could run 255 but tire width slightly vary between different manufacturers. 265 would be too wide of a tire I think

Thanks. I went out and looked at the rims/tires again and I agree. The figment seems natural and appropriate.

Would you pick the Pilot SS over the Kumhos? Pilots are on sale at Costco. Kumhos are same price but will need to get them at a local shop.

You mentioned the Pilot Super Sport and the Pilot Sport PS2. Which ones are you looking to get? And why did you want 265? 255 is available in the Pilot Sport PS2...

Back