• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Are these #s possible

I just read on a Honda-Acura web site about a BBSC NSX that claims to have 500hp and top out at 198mph !
Is there a stock trans available for the NSX even with different gears going to be able to attain that speed?
I also run the BBSC and know of several owners that do also including one that is apparently in the 450ish HP ballpark now.
Those numbers just seem a bit high to me.
What do you think?

------------------
ALL NSX
92 RED/BLACK 5-SPEED

Possible? Sure. With a stock 6-spd and stock diameter tires it would be just below redline. A genuine 500rwhp at 8k is probably just about sufficient if he doesn't have a wing or other drag educing bolt-ons.

Is it true? I doubt it. No one has publicly claimed 500 at the wheels with a BBSC and it’s still a small club. Those with the larger blowers and coolers are still working on getting the fuel delivery right and haven't turned up the wick yet. My guess is that it's typical bench racing and bragging about theoretical numbers, not quoting hard facts. But it sounds very impressive.
smile.gif

Ok, here's a quick calc:
Assuming 240 rwhp (peak) for a stock 3L NSX and top speed at peak rwhp = 165 mph, then to go 198 mph would require 240 rwhp*(198 mph/165 mph)^3 = 415 rwhp. Hmmm, anyone tested top speed with their BBSC?

So you mean to tell me that just because a car can produce 415rhwp then it can go 198 mph. I guess drag, gearing and other things don't really count?
So that means that one particular owner w/BBSC that is running around 450rwhp should easily be able to run 200 mph.
That is pretty impressive.

------------------
ALL NSX
92 RED/BLACK 5-SPEED

Two Things ------

The relationship between 450 RWHP vs 500 FWHP is overly agressive. This equates to only 10% drivetrain losses. In the NSX, it is more like 12%.

OK Romeo, I'm taking my gloves off.
smile.gif
I have the hardware, the software and the little doo-dad called a laptop. Time to turn up the wick, hoss. See you in Atlanta.
smile.gif
Seriously, all in good fun.

Happy VTEC-ing.

But we are talking about top speed in theory though. To the best of my knowledge nobody has a documted top speed of a BBSC equipped car right? Does anybody have first hand knowledge of a speed such as that attained yet?

------------------
ALL NSX
92 RED/BLACK 5-SPEED

I can post it but I don't want to get any feathers ruffled.
I will say this, that the owner didn't state these figures, but rather someome speaking on his behalf.

------------------
ALL NSX
92 RED/BLACK 5-SPEED

Originally posted by Sig:
David's feathers are already ruffled, someone shot the poor guy in the back with an arrow : )

I guess you might as well post the link.

LOL, that is to funny !!

------------------
ALL NSX
92 RED/BLACK 5-SPEED

Originally posted by 92NSX:So you mean to tell me that just because a car can produce 415rhwp then it can go 198 mph. I guess drag, gearing and other things don't really count?

For my calculation, drag was included: power is proportional to the cube of the velocity. That's the "^3" factor. The rest of it assumes perfect gearing, ie. peak hp occurs at peak top speed.

Originally posted by AndyVecsey:
Two Things ------

The relationship between 450 RWHP vs 500 FWHP is overly agressive. This equates to only 10% drivetrain losses. In the NSX, it is more like 12%.

OK Romeo, I'm taking my gloves off.
smile.gif
I have the hardware, the software and the little doo-dad called a laptop. Time to turn up the wick, hoss. See you in Atlanta.
smile.gif
Seriously, all in good fun.

Happy VTEC-ing.

I guess I should've responded to this earlier. The car that I'm talking about is NOT Romeo's.

------------------
ALL NSX
92 RED/BLACK 5-SPEED

Originally posted by BryanZublin:
For my calculation, drag was included: power is proportional to the cube of the velocity. That's the "^3" factor. The rest of it assumes perfect gearing, ie. peak hp occurs at peak top speed.

Bryan's calculations include drag, but not frictional losses from the wheel contact (which are a PITA to calculate), so it will be a pretty close, but not an exact estimate. The gearing assumption also impacts it, and I am not sure how much additional hp would be needed to compensate. You could make a rough guess by looking at a dyno and raising the whole curve until the hp at the correct rpm was achieved. Crude, but would give you some idea of what it would take. If I were to attempt to hit 200 mph, I would mount larger diameter, hard, narrow tires.

Now, post the link! Referring to it, but not showing it, is a party foul. Like starting a joke and not finishing it.

Originally posted by 92NSX:
I just read on a Honda-Acura web site about a BBSC NSX that claims to have 500hp and top out at 198mph !
Is there a stock trans available for the NSX even with different gears going to be able to attain that speed?
I also run the BBSC and know of several owners that do also including one that is apparently in the 450ish HP ballpark now.
What do you think?

Originally posted by 92NSX:
What do you think?
I know it's not an NSX...In the 1989 Bonneville Speed Challange, a 1988 RX-7 Turbo driven from NJ and back, recorded a 191mph on the the salt flats! Stock bodied, stock block, stock drivetrain and stock gearing. Retaining the stock ECU and w/stock AFM. It was rated at only 390hp! The upgrades consisted of, an aftermarket front spoiler, a single T04R turbo, HKS Electronics, FMIC, upgraded Injectors,and Exhaust.

I have no formula, but I would be confident to say... to acheive a 198mph on a dyno would not be nearly the same as if on the ground. But if one is able to back-up claims to 500hp on a dyno sheet, then one can equally earn rights to 198mph.

Possible? Sure...but does it really matter?

Choritsu-shi
wink.gif

I think you are missing the point. No, it doesn't really matter. But I just thought those were some pretty optimistic #'s being quoted is all.

------------------
ALL NSX
92 RED/BLACK 5-SPEED

Back